• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Augusta Street Jewellery Quarter

A great visual record of a business in the JQ, now gone. It looks like it was, as you say on Augusta Street, and I think near the junction with Warstone Lane. You can see the two distinctive Victorian buildings on Warstone Lane in the background of the image #4 of post #32. Also the 1960s multi-storey building in 5 of the photos (now refurbished and called the Big Peg) helps to place the garage in today’s Google Streetview. It looks like it was on a fairly substantial site. Here are some views from Streetview. I think the low level buildings to the right of the Big Peg in the second Streetview must be the former site of the garage, now marked as Universal Gems on the satellite view. Viv.

EC4D52C2-8C1A-4128-8533-BEE26F593C51.jpegA9F2E793-168C-4C79-B703-86452753C255.jpeg
56813536-85C9-4D0F-820F-816F97CCCDAE.jpeg

stunning photos again mark...in fact i dont think i am being over the top here when i say i think that your work along with mikejees photos he took 68 to 72 is worthy of an exhibition...the great phyllis nicklin had one of her 50s and 60s photos outside the entrance to snow hill station about 4 years back and i put your photos on par with hers...many thanks

lyn

Back