• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ATV Studios Broad Street

Wasnt crossroads recorded in Bradford St, the same building at the Castaways club. I was a telephone engineer in my youth and worked on the offices there

Wasnt crossroads recorded in Bradford St, the same building at the Castaways club. I was a telephone engineer in my youth and worked on the offices there

I think I remember reading somewhere that they had a rehearsal rooms there, but I don't think it was ever recorded there.

No they rehearsed at the building in Bradford St but they recorded Crossroads at the ATV studios in Bridge St

Was this building once the 'Astoria' cinema, I remember going there and the nearby 'Aston Cross' cinema quite often in the 50's ???? Eric

I think I remember reading somewhere that they had a rehearsal rooms there, but I don't think it was ever recorded there.

In my lunch hour after shopping in Town I used to catch the bus back to the office in Bradford St and sonetimes Noele Gordon and Jane Rossington were on the bus doing the very same thing. So I presume they were doing rehearsals in Bradford St. Viv.

I was an actress on Crossroads, so I can confirm, that we rehearsed (and yes we did), in Bradford Street, and recorded on Broad Street.

Yes in deed eric and jennyann it was most in deed it was the astoria picure house and i will never forget it
i live along the road from it and my aunty maud smart was working there in the kiosk for years she lived in white house street
and that particular day in 1953 right outside those very doors i was knocked down by a hit and run driver of a car
whom was coming down from the costa green and the city centre and my old man was working in the golden cross pub that afternoon
not knowing i had been run over it was a satrurday afternoon
i had been to the victoria pic on victoria rd seeing roy rogers film on the morning mattnee
instead ofgoing straight home i dashed down to the astoria to see another roy rogers film showing
my aunt maud seen me and called me in and she called her friend on duty whom was selling the ice creams and told her to cover me under coat and smuggled me into the picures which she did and i got a frre cup of ice cream
when i came out to cross the road i got hit and went flying high in the air and came down with a bang and rigt up by the pawn shop
i was opeperated emediately in thearter came out of thearter and rush back into thearter a couple of times through the night
and they gave me a blood transfusion a couple of times to save me from death and i had lost half the bone in my leg
which left me with a big metal plate in my leg for life as the bone was completely severd anddestroyed oher wise it meant looing my leg
pent 3 months in the hospital of the general so i know i can never forget the name i had a couple of small presents sent to me from employees of charles harris bakelite moulders of lodge rd and fruit as well from that day to this day i never learnt to find whom was the driver of the austin car that knocked me down but i do beleive they traced the driver 2 months later as it was in the birmingham mail in that year best wishes astonian,,,

Sadly this thread lacks many of the photos and links about the studio. It was an important studio in that it was the first British purpose built colour studio. If anyone can add replacements for the lost links etc, please do so to improve this thread. Then I shall attempt to edit the thread so that it is useful again. Thanks.

I have amended the title so that we can record details of the Studio before it’s demolition as well as during the demolition process.

Here’s an image of the Studio in it’s heyday c1980s. Viv.

49A2D5E9-9BA9-40AF-AA45-A510C8A37CA6.jpeg

Back