• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Attention trainspotters! (Men only)

G

glaciermint

If there are any women who ever went trainspotting I apologise for the title!

When I was younger you could walk along the canal and look over (or climb over) the wall which gave a great view of Saltley sheds. Many years ago they demolished the old steam shed and took up many of the sidings to make a trading estate. I was there the other day and the whole lot has gone now -see pic.

The end of an era. Any memories of Saltley shed?

Bob

Sorry but a lady replying. My granddad Harry was an engine driver based at Saltley sheds. He would go to the sheds on a Friday afternoon and collect his pay packet. I was lucky to go with him if I was on school holiday. We would catch the bus at the Pelham , sit upstairs because he smoked a pipe. Alight somewhere in Saltley, walk down the road,past the dolls hospital to the Sheds. Oh what a glorious sight !! I`d be about 8-10 years old and 60 years on I can still see that wonderful big dark shed with a huge turntable in the middle. I remember holding Grandad`s hand because although excited it was scary at the same time. We would go through the big entrance it and it was like going into a cave. On the left was the board with all the clocking in cards. Grandad would take his out and give it to the man at the open window, he in turn gave Grandad his money. Grandad would give me sixpence " don`t tell your Nan" he`d say ! There was sometimes a wonderful steam engine on the turntable and we would stand and watch it go around. I was so small at the side of the wheels. We stood and watched the man with his can oiling the wheels. Even now I am amazed at how clean and shiny everything appeared to be. The smells were amazing. I heard a steam train the other day at Havenstreet and I could smell and feel my Grandad saying "look at that babbie. I had take that to Carlisle." I have such memories of the steam trains. Grandad used to say you`ve never had bacon and eggs like that that's cooked on the shovel -cleaned with the steam first- then rested just in the fire box. He was on the railways all his life. He said during the war in a raid, they had to get into a tunnel so the fire couldn`t be seen. They could be there for hours, so he would get his catapult out and kill the rabbits. He would take them home to Denville Cresent and give them to the neighbours so everyone eat well for a few days. Brave men that helped to keep the country going but who just went on with their jobs. Such lovely memories.

What a great contribution, crimble! Thanks for it.

Chris

PS. If glaciermint still looks at this thread, could he replace the image, please? It was lost when the Forum was hacked some time ago.

Last edited:
Thanks crimble for sharing your memories, it must have been a wonderful place to visit with your granddad.

oldmohawk

Sorry but a lady replying. My granddad Harry was an engine driver based at Saltley sheds. He would go to the sheds on a Friday afternoon and collect his pay packet. I was lucky to go with him if I was on school holiday. We would catch the bus at the Pelham , sit upstairs because he smoked a pipe. Alight somewhere in Saltley, walk down the road,past the dolls hospital to the Sheds. Oh what a glorious sight !! I`d be about 8-10 years old and 60 years on I can still see that wonderful big dark shed with a huge turntable in the middle. I remember holding Grandad`s hand because although excited it was scary at the same time. We would go through the big entrance it and it was like going into a cave. On the left was the board with all the clocking in cards. Grandad would take his out and give it to the man at the open window, he in turn gave Grandad his money. Grandad would give me sixpence " don`t tell your Nan" he`d say ! There was sometimes a wonderful steam engine on the turntable and we would stand and watch it go around. I was so small at the side of the wheels. We stood and watched the man with his can oiling the wheels. Even now I am amazed at how clean and shiny everything appeared to be. The smells were amazing. I heard a steam train the other day at Havenstreet and I could smell and feel my Grandad saying "look at that babbie. I had take that to Carlisle." I have such memories of the steam trains. Grandad used to say you`ve never had bacon and eggs like that that's cooked on the shovel -cleaned with the steam first- then rested just in the fire box. He was on the railways all his life. He said during the war in a raid, they had to get into a tunnel so the fire couldn`t be seen. They could be there for hours, so he would get his catapult out and kill the rabbits. He would take them home to Denville Cresent and give them to the neighbours so everyone eat well for a few days. Brave men that helped to keep the country going but who just went on with their jobs. Such lovely memories.
Nice account, couple of Saltley shed pics here..
https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mrsalt1237.htm

[URL]https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mrsalt81.htm

[/URL]

Hello crumble,

My father in law worked out of Saltley sheds for the most of forty five years that he worked on the railways, his name was Frank Jenkins, my husband can remember fetching his father's wages and had to take a disc to get them.
Trebor (Rita)

Not quite Saltley but, as a kid, there were a number of us who used to frequent the Signal Box at Bromford Bridge Station. IIRC it was a platform mounted box and, as I can't remember any passenger services and looking at the https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/misc/stations.htm site, and seeing that it closed in 1965, it must have been about that time.

Or perhaps there were passenger services but none that stopped during the evening hours of our visits.

I still remember one of the Signalmen. He was West Indian. Didn't smoke, didn't drink, but a 'man for the Ladies'.:encouragement:

There came a point whereby he was leaving. I can't remember if it was for promotion or whatever but, on his last working evening he invited us to visit to say Goodbye.

On the duly appointed day we, kids, arrived and were invited to 'partake in a glass of sherry' to wish him well. Very small offerings from the bottle and, as already stated, he didn't drink himself.

I've never forgotten that gesture. All through my working life, when dealing with people, and had not just inclinations, but perhaps perceived justification for stereotyping racial groups, I'd think back to that evening at Bromford Bridge and pause a little.

That Railwayman shaped my character and I've never forgotten him.

Back