• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Atkinsons Brewery

Hi, new member, so take it easy on me!

I found a jug in my hotel (an advertiser in Out Inn Brum, incidentally) that comes from Atkinsons Brewery. I'd love any information anyone could offer. It appears to be about 2 gal. in capacity. Photos below.

Cheers,
Jim Anderson
atkjug01.jpgatkjug02.jpg

Will ask my husband in the morning. He was on the brewing side at Ansells but am sure he would have sampled a pint of Atkinson's at some time. Jean.

I Remember some time ago a aunty telling my sister Irene that the Floyd family had some thing to do with Atkinsons brewery , we havent been able to find any thing up to now. pam x

post 44, yes I regularly drank Atkinsons in the 50's at the 'top Queens', as the Queens Head was called in Queens Rd, I drank their bitter or 'half and half' (mild and bitter) and I thought it was a good brew, my Dad preferred their mild, claimed it was better than Ansells, he should know he drunk enough !!! Eric

I had my head stuck in a bedstead in the next street (Gladstone) when that land mine went off. Couldn't go down the shelter with a bed attached to my noggin according to Granny White. Bad night, very bad night. Kind regards, David.

Hello all,
I've been enjoying the threads I have read about Atkinson's Brewery on here and working my way through the various ones throughout the forum.
I'm not from Birmingham myself but have family there past and present, the reason for my post is, I am wondering if anyone has any photos or information on the livery of the Brewery,
I have an interest in steam and vintage vehicles and may have an opportunity to paint and sign write a 6" model steam wagon, it may not be the type of wagon used by Atkinson's, would anyone have record of the vehicles they used? but if i can find the colours and fonts used I would like to consider it as an option.
Many Thanks

It would appear that the sample bar was a separate bar, with entrance in Dr. Johnson's passage, which was behind a gate. In Billiards tournaments the competitors are specifically listed as from the bar, not from the Beehive, so there must have been some separation in operation.

Thank you Lynn, I've actually collected many bottles recently and have offered it to a bottle collector that's coming for some of my others f.o.c, I love the really pretty old ones and keep those but it's all dog dependent of course lol, it's going to a good home that is all that matters. A bit of local history saved.

I was born 1/89 Queens RD first entry down from brewery, I believe the houses belonged to the Brewery, I can remember as a child in the thirties feeding the huge dray horses out side the brewery. During the war they allowed the public to use the basements as a shelter. The Queens Hotel pub adjoining the brewery was my Dads local. Eric

Good morning all,

The dog has done it again, this time a larger bottle. This is from Atkinson's brewery hence why I am posting it here, I'm trying to not get boring with it but I think there are probably so few examples left of these bottles that I want them to be recorded somewhere.

Enjoy, the bottle itself is immaculate, no chips or anything.

Link:- https://postimg.cc/ThwZGY3d

I was born 1/89 Queens RD first entry down from brewery, I believe the houses belonged to the Brewery, I can remember as a child in the thirties feeding the huge dray horses out side the brewery. During the war they allowed the public to use the basements as a shelter. The Queens Hotel pub adjoining the brewery was my Dads local. Eric
I remember The Queens Hotel pub, walking past it only.

From the cutlery drawer in the kitchen - expect there are thousands around...
Lol, I remember those even though when I grew up in the 1970's I don't recollect them being used even then(apart from opening the steralised milk), but then I was never a drinker in the 1980's, when I was of legal age we had those silly champagne fads in the night clubs and Grolsch(or however you spelled it) with the pop off lids.

Last edited:
Lol, I remember those even though when I grew up in the 1970's I don't recollect them being used even then(apart from opening the steralised milk), but then I was never a drinker in the 1980's when I was of legal age. We had those silly champagne fads in the night clubs and Grolsch(or however you spelled it) with the pop off lids.
Grolsch (sp) is REALLY good beer! Still drink it occasionally, to tops remind me of Corona pop.

Back