• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Athletics in Birmingham in 1870's.

L

lizzy

Does anyone know where I can look to find out about running competitions in the 1870's? One of my gt grandfather's brothers was a runner, I have a large trophy and two tankards which he won, also have a photo of him, in his running gear with these. The story goes that he won these in Birmingham, one of the tankards is engraved HM, his initials, 1872, no other information. Any ideas where I could look ?

Sorry, forgot to put his name. Herbert Markwell b1849 or possibly his brother Henry b 1855. I'm afraid I can't post the photo.

Markwell is quite an unusual name, there was a man called Fred Markwell who held office with BMSGH. I know he died a couple of years ago, but it is possible that you may be connected, he would have done extensive research.

Yes, I do know about Fred, met him in the 70's, we shared a common ancestor back in the 1700. He didn't know anything about our Herbert.

I recognise the old Birchfield Harriers running track which is now Perry Barr Greyhound Stadium but was this also a running track? circled. OneStop shopping center occupies the area now of course.
PerryBarr.jpg

robby i think you are right about that..i used to go to the speedway with our mom and dad when i was young..

lyn

Oh yes, of course.The Brummies old speedway track. Thanks. Would their old track still've been in use in the mid 70's i wonder? I went to see the Brummies a few times when i was i kid. Don't ever remember visiting the dog track so this makes sense.

Does anyone know where I can look to find out about running competitions in the 1870's? One of my gt grandfather's brothers was a runner, I have a large trophy and two tankards which he won, also have a photo of him, in his running gear with these. The story goes that he won these in Birmingham, one of the tankards is engraved HM, his initials, 1872, no other information. Any ideas where I could look ?
I don't know if it's still possible to reply to the original poster on this, but I regularly search the British Newspaper Archive in my volunteer role as Birchfield Archivist and can see that an H Markwell won an electroplated cup in a quarter mile race at the Cambridge athletic sports in the summer of 1873. He also won a hurdle race that day. I can't find any records of a Markwell in races in the Midlands and Birchfield Harriers didn't exist until a few years later, but I wonder whether the Cambridge athlete is your man.

Back