• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Athelstan House, Moseley Road

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi there ;
as anybody got any info ; on the atherstone house mosely rd childrens home pleaseas i am researching this building what was the history or when was it built also of the place they called the limes ; or the trees children homes for girls that i beleive was on the bristol rd near pebble mill
i beleive they was two big houses on the bristol rd and about a mile away from each other on the oppersite of the rd from each other ;
i have reason to beleive the one is still there on the corner of pebble mill old BBC studios [ meaning only the house not a home ]
well at least i think so ; but the house is occupyed today
many thanks astonian;;

Note: Moved from The Towers Thread. Bernie

Note 2: Name of House corrected to aid searches thanks to post by Phil.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil

Retired Layabout
Re: Atherstone House, Moseley Raod

Astonian

It was Athelstan House Remand Home on Moseley Rd, my uncle who was younger than myself by a week spent a month in there when he was 12 years of age for truancy. We used to go up to Moseley Road on a Sunday when they were taken out for a Sunday walk and take the micky out of him in his short trousers.

I know nothing about the other two places you mention, but this may help with Athelstan House.

https://www.search.connectinghistor...s=&direction=&pointer=27&text=0&resource=1580

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Re: Atherstone House, Moseley Road

HI PHIL
Many thanks for your prompt reply regaring atherstone house i am hopping agaist all the odds that some-onemay have more info
for me to go on the other two houses was on thebristol rd ; andthe one next to peble corner i ha a discussion with awell known magistrate
whom i know very well personaly and they still do the courts today whom told me its was a wayward girls home ,
and tearway girls who get themselves pregnant ; this is and would have been i the fortyus ad fiftys hoping to get some info; from our members ;
thaks phil best wishes alan astonian;;

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
In 1950 & 1962 Kellys lists no 214 Bristol road as
Birmingham Children's Committee Girls' Remand Home (The Limes)
In 1962 (but not 1950) Kellys lists at 234 Bristol Road Birmingham Children's Committee (Interim home)
They were on the same, not opposite sides of the road. 214 is gone, but there is a house of about the right age at 234. Map (c1954) is below

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi mike ;
many thanks for that information and for the map yes the one is still at the corner of pebble mill corner
so now it belongs to a private person as i thought as i often go pass regular and always glance wondering whether or not it had ceased as the girls
apparently they use to have to wear long skirts down to there feet ;so i imagine they could not escape from there
and also they had to scrub concrete floors and wooden ones daily as i have been researching these homes for a long time across the country
i have spoken with p[eople whom have experience these homes and said how victorian methords was to make it hard from them within
those walls and it was dark as well ran very strict and they had to call the wardess as madam ; afew girls have attempted to escape but sadly they
not some wou;ld go back to court on remand and some would be sent back to serve a time of detention ;
and they say it was very heart breaking in there ;i was sure the limes was on the other side of the rd at one time in the fifties
i beleive there is another one on gravelly hill at around the same time and one in the clent hills but may be that as gone
along with tennal harborne ;but thats another story of brutaititly but as you may recall the atherstone house was closed down because
of the misuse of the system by the employed social carrers staff letting kids out on there own to go arpoumnd the streets of mosely
and the smoking of druggs ;surely this atherstone house could reopen for the home less or the junenile deliuents of or society today
especialy the younger ones instead of letting it rot and deteriate as it is now ;
once again mike many thanks for giving me the show of he map as it will be useful for me
best wishes astonian;;

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Good morning phil;
many thanks for your well documented report of the limes which i will take and down load for my use
i have heard of the other place you have mentioned and i have met a couple of ladies whom was a resident in this place you mentioned
which they have told me about there experiences within those walls and how they was transported to this place in a black muira
th old police vans as they was called in those days and how harsh it was for them in those old and dark place and what went on behind
those heavvy doors and the way they was treated ;
It appears that birmingham was full of these homes of what they call remand homes in those days and they was always on the south side of brum for some reason i beleive there was one on the gravely hill side for boys as well called st Johns i think they may have been an approved school ;
along with tennal n harborne ; some guys i have spoken to say it was like a big prison with a big search light on the wall
so if anybody tried to escape from there they could be spotted and according to a couple of lads whom are as was at the time lived in ladywood ; told me of there experiences within that place which was horrandous if they escaped or even with out escaping the abuse they experienced
and now years later ; [ many years later these people was brought tobook ; as old as they are justice seems to have been taken for them after all there abusing years ; which i hope these people are suffering for what the way they abused others
thank god there is justice today to stop all is nonsence for any homes that are operating whether these people done right or wrong ;
whom may be sent there for what ever reason ;
once again phil a big thanks ; have a nice day best wishes astonian ;; [ Alan ]

Phil

Retired Layabout
Hi Astonian

I fear I must point out that the Connecting Histories site has nothing to do with me and I believe it is funded and researched by the Birmingham City Archives and the Universities of Birmingham and Warwick. It is a site that I use for reference occasionally and I thought it would answer the questions you were asking, and I am glad to see it has been of some help.

Phil

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Re: Birmingham Childrens' Homes in the 1950s

Hi guys
I hope you do not mind me butting in but on the subject of Birmingham homes I was travelling along the mosely road on Saturday
And was passing the mosely road home and school of atherston house comuity home
Which as been standing empty for about fifty years and I notice the builders are in there stripping it all out does anybody know what its gonna be
Many thanks astonian

jennyann

master brummie
Staff member
Re: Birmingham Childrens' Homes in the 1950s

Hi Astonian: Re the Athelstan House building on Moseley Road. Elizabeth Redmond did research the place as you know on the Forum a couple of years ago.
I found a letter on the Internet written two years ago, a private citizen writing to the Council to ask what was going to happen to this property and who owned it. The Council replied to this person and said that it was privately owned now and was sold on 31/03/2006 for the sum of £625,000 and no longer remains in Birmingham City
Councils ownership. The current strategy for maintenance and security remains the responsibility of the owner and under the rules of the Freedom of Information & Data Protection Acts they could not disclose who owns the place and what their plans are for the property. The owners must have applied for Planning Permission if they have renovators working on the building but you wouldn't be any further ahead knowing what their plans are without finding out more. At least it is being renovated unlike many other properties along Moseley Road which are just decaying away.

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi jennyann
Good morning to you many thanks jennyfor your replying and yes its great news to see some thing is being done to it best wishes astonian

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI JENNY
Many thanks again just to recapp on this property was it the house or the land they bought or both and does the council still own the land
or did the purchase cover the land al;ong with the building ; as i do have a great intrest in this property
I really beleive i have met elizebeth some many years back from when i was in the licence trade but never mind that bit
I would really appreciate whether or not you can speculate whether the property and the building comes with it to the new owners
thanks asgain jenny most appreciated for ypour info; enjoy the rest of the day what ever you are doing or where you may be

B

BernardR

Alan you could request a statement from the Land Registry for the current owners.

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi Bernard .
Hope you are well; and to say many thanks for your reply on this subject and of the listing of atherstone house
I was aware of the land registry at coventry and have been dealng with them for some years now with different old propertys
Especialy old big propertys and taking on board that jenny said today about elisebeth about the property i also said nine years ago done an article on it
on this forum regarding the history of it and from such early days when it was openened up as a remand centre as it was listed then
even way back then there was abuse ; very hard abuse but to me thats not an issue now [ie] the old establisment and the detainees and officers
and relie have all gone and passed over
i know it was an establishment from the goverment and the birmingham city council all those years ago
where you had the teenage and youths of the yester years they had borstals which was also brutal and dentention centres where they would have beed detained
just like mosely rd detention centre as it was called way back in the early thirtys and forty and fiftys
then it became a comunity home where all hell let loose where these care workers let them come in and out at there own leisures but the courts sent them there for
detaining and getting social reports for the courts which also was mainly the old senoir cadbury family whom was running the courts of yester years
and some of these poor kids was sent there to be detyained and or sent therte for a sentence from one week to three months detention for punisments
but be cause of the caere free social workers of yester years they closed it down really i am not telling you or members of somethink you never knew
because in its hey day it was well reported front page as to why it closed down but i do have another intrest in this building for other reasons
i also have another building in birmingham i have had a intrest in for the last five years i have been working on
but yes i do know i can get the information i need from the cov land registry as i have been dealing with them for years along with another agenty,s
once again bernard and keep up the good work you are doing for us here on the forum bestb wishes Astonian ; Alan ;;;

Bob Johnson

master brummie
Athelstan house is being converted in to apartments.

Here is the link to the planning application with drawings etc: The planning application number is: 2012/08411/PA. Go to the Birmingham planning dept on-line and search using this number.

B

BernardR

Thanks Bob great info.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

oneofsixteen

proper brummie kid
hi there ;
as anybody got any info ; on the atherstone house mosely rd childrens home pleaseas i am researching this building what was the history or when was it built also of the place they called the limes ; or the trees children homes for girls that i beleive was on the bristol rd near pebble mill
i beleive they was two big houses on the bristol rd and about a mile away from each other on the oppersite of the rd from each other ;
i have reason to beleive the one is still there on the corner of pebble mill old BBC studios [ meaning only the house not a home ]
well at least i think so ; but the house is occupyed today
many thanks astonian;;

Note: Moved from The Towers Thread. Bernie

Note 2: Name of House corrected to aid searches thanks to post by Phil.
Hi, I know this thread is old but I've just come across it! I spent some time/s at the TREE's & The Limes mid to late 60's.