• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Atcherley coachbuilders Rea Street

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Not much is said about this coachbuilder. They made bodies on such chassis as Rolls-Royce, Aston-Martin, Hotchkiss, Bentley, Invicta, Minerva, Alfa Romeo, Daimler, Humber etc. Being a small firm, they didn’t build more than a few examples on each marque eg just 10 on Rolls-Royce chassis.

I can’t find any evidence today of the “Leamington Works” in Rea Street. Viv.

28E21175-0453-4E0C-9D15-3F8413CCF681.jpeg

Not much is said about this coachbuilder. They made bodies on such chassis as Rolls-Royce, Aston-Martin, Hotchkiss, Bentley, Invicta, Minerva, Alfa Romeo, Daimler, Humber etc. Being a small firm, they didn’t build more than a few examples on each marque eg just 10 on Rolls-Royce chassis.

I can’t find any evidence today of the “Leamington Works” in Rea Street. Viv.

View attachment 169421
Like the decorative brickwork on the building.

Atcherleys were in Rea St South , on the western side, just after no 23, between Cheapside and Macdonald St. It looks like the building is probably the same as that shown in the 1932 Kellys as no 27, Humphrey Bros, motor car accessory manufacturers. Afraid I cannot place them any more definitely.

W.C. Atcherley was a Birmingham, U.K.-based firm that has become known as “The Lost Coachbuilder’” after its namesake founder destroyed all records when the company folded. And yet, Atcherley coachwork appeared on chassis from Rolls-Royce, Daimler, and Invicta, indicating how well-respected they were in-period. Though sources differ on the total number of Brough Superior cars constructed, it was doubtlessly Atcherley’s largest commission, and the fact it was based on a Hudson Terraplane chassis doesn’t begin to describe the level of bespoke detailing that went into the completed car.

Back