• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Asylum Road

asylumroadgladstoneplace.jpg

could this thread be moved please to the neighbours and streets section...

cheers

lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much Astoness, these pics are brilliant, as the street no longer exists I have been unable to view it, also many thanks to everyone else who put pics and stories on about Asylum Road

One or two pictures of Asylum road that I am sure have been on this thread before.

Attachments

• Asylum Rd,corner of Alma Street.JPG
    Asylum Rd,corner of Alma Street.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
A few more

Attachments

• asylum rd Aston.Post office.jpg
    asylum rd Aston.Post office.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Hockley.The Woodman.Summer Lane&Asylum Rd..jpg
    Hockley.The Woodman.Summer Lane&Asylum Rd..jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Aston.The Woodman.corner Summer Lane & Asylum Rd.-1.JPG
    Aston.The Woodman.corner Summer Lane & Asylum Rd.-1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
Last two

Attachments

• Asylum Road.Aston..jpg
    Asylum Road.Aston..jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 15
  • ASYLUM RD, NEW TOWN 23-5-60.jpg
    ASYLUM RD, NEW TOWN 23-5-60.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 14
The asylum, from which the road gets its name, was the Asylum for the Infant Poor. My great grandfather, an orphan, entered it as a baby in 1835, and was taught basic sewing skills and, when he left, was apprenticed to a master tailor, and on completing his apprenticeship, opened his own tailoring business, which he ran until just before he died.

Although it closed before this date, it wasn't actually demolished until 1852. No records survive in Birmingham Archives.

Maurice

Hello All, I'm an exiled Brummie ( born n raised in Chudleigh Rd, Erdington) who was doing some family research on my late fathers brother, one James Herbert Ray. It seems he lived some of his all but short life in Asylum Rd, at 3 back of 14.... He sadly met his demise at Windsor Street Gasworks back in May 1934. I found this info by looking at old newspaper clippings from the Birmingham Daily Gazette ( I had never heard of it).

Attachments

• Article in Birmingham Daily Gazette  13th May 1934.png
    Article in Birmingham Daily Gazette 13th May 1934.png
    259.5 KB · Views: 20
Thanks for the acknowledgements. Just wondering on a separate note if anyone has any recollections of the Birmingham Daily Gazette? Curious to know about its circulation? Cheers.

Puggy,

Welcome to the Forum. There's a basic history here:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Gazette
As to distribution, I wouldn't have thought it was much outside a 20 Miles radius of Birmingham. I lived in Brum until 1961 and well remember it, but our paper of choice was always the Birmingham Mail, but certainly both were available within the City boundaries together with the Birmingham Post (a morning paper) and on Saturdays, the Sports Argus.

Maurice :cool:

Much appreciated . I guessed it was limited circulation. I was a child of the fifties/ sixties myself and remember my parents taking the post and mail daily, but I never came across this one. Just wondering when and if it went out of circulation? I'll certainly have a butchers at that link! Thanks again.

On this photo is the Erdington Laundry, which was run by my late Auntie Rita Hinks. Living accommodation above. We (family of 5 children and mother), lived with Rita, husband Jim, and their daughter Maureen for a couple of months. I went to Alma St school. Just a little crowded. We were waiting for a flight to the Far East, to Malaya, where my dad was stationed. We went off in late 1957, because I remember there was a bonfire in Gladstone Place for Bonfire Night. Returned after 3 years. Southend for a while. Then Berlin. On return from Berlin, my poor Aunt was lumbered again. This time she had even worse housing, in Devon Street, Saltley. Someone probably shopped us to the welfare re overcrowding, as we had acquired another child, and my father was with us. And Rita's father. Solution was to send all children (except maureen) to Father Hudsons, Coleshill. A peripatetic life for army brats:)

I was looking for images of Asylum Road and came across this map c.1820 which was posted by Heartland in 2019. The map clearly shows the asylum with 'The Asylum Road' leading to it, at this time Summer Lane was just the initial section of this road. Aston furnace is also shown.
It would appear that although (as recorded in many places) Asylum Road (the short road off High Street Aston) got its name from the asylum, the asylum itself was some distance from this road, as can be seen on the overlay map.
Asylum Road was the only part of 'The Road to the Asylum' to survive.
I would not put too much emphasis on the position of the asylum and furnace mill however as the map does not appear to be extremely accurate, I could not get the position of Ormond Street to match on the 2 maps.
Interesting to see on the c.1820 map 'the proposed line of continuation of New John Street'.

Attachments

• birmingham-map-c1820.jpg
    birmingham-map-c1820.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • asylum-map-overlay.jpg
    asylum-map-overlay.jpg
    966.7 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for that, John, though as you say, probably not too accurate, and as we know, knock a few buildings down and you can alter road layouts quite significantly. And it is almost 170 years since the building was demolished.

Thanks for that, John, though as you say, probably not too accurate, and as we know, knock a few buildings down and you can alter road layouts quite significantly. And it is almost 170 years since the building was demolished.

You can understand why they changed the name to Summer Lane, I can't imagine people wanting to have an address as 'the road leading to the asylum'.

I'm reposting this link, it is in post #11 but the link is broken.

This gives the definitive position for the asylum (wish I'd come across this reference earlier). The article is very informative.

Attachments

• asylum-position.jpg
    asylum-position.jpg
    755.4 KB · Views: 24
Done. Thank you Maurice.. Though had to delete link and reinsert, as just adding .html did not work

Yes, Mike, I copied it into Wordpad then added the extension. Xenforo doesn't let you add bits to a link, but you did it just the same.

I've just been looking on Find my Past which is free this Bank Holiday weekend to see what I could find for my Dad's father, I knew the family lived in Aston.
Found him on the 1901 census when he was aged 12. The family were living at Hartington Place in Asylum Road and my Gt Grandfather was a gun engraver which is something I didn't know.
I've been looking back at the thread with interest - thanks to everyone for the information on Asylum Road!

Interesting to see all of the memories of Asylum Road on here! My grandfather lived at 11/22 before leaving for the army, I found a newspaper clipping today and would like to share in the hope someone may have known him. His name was William McCarton, possibly living with The Leadens.

Attachments

• D45B66AF-6A4F-432A-B84E-84DF8AA099B5.jpeg
    D45B66AF-6A4F-432A-B84E-84DF8AA099B5.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 13
Interesting to see all of the memories of Asylum Road on here! My grandfather lived at 11/22 before leaving for the army, I found a newspaper clipping today and would like to share in the hope someone may have known him. His name was William McCarton, possibly living with The Leadens.
My wife lived at 4/22 until 1962'ish., but was only six years old at that time. Her older brother may remember those names. He would have been ten years old when they moved. The family name was Newey.

Steve.

Back