• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

ASTORIA PICTURE HOUSE

In Lichfield Road, Lyn, according to this site:
The photo reminds me of the Two Ronnies. :D

Your initial post 1# shows the place getting a delivery from the railway, a mechanical horse is the vehicle used.

Looks the same to me, though, admittedly, many of the chains had a fairly standard design

Aston  Aston Rd Astoria.jpg

Yes, it was!
Found this......

Theatre Royal, Aston Road North, Aston, BirminghamLater - The Astoria Cinema / Alpha Television StudiosBirmingham Index

The Theatre Royal, Aston was built at a cost of £6,500 and opened on the 7th of August 1893.

Just a year later the Theatre was sold to Charles Barnard and extensively refurbished.

The Theatre was again refurbished in 1912 at great expense and is stated to have had a capacity of 2000 at the time.

The Theatre closed for live entertainment in 1926 and was converted for Cinema use, reopening as the Astoria Cinema on the 12th of December 1927.

The Astoria Cinema itself closed on the 26th of November 1955 and the building was then converted into a Television Studio for ATV and ABC Television Limited, and renamed the Alpha Television Studios, opening on the 17th of February 1956.

ATV later moved into its own purpose built studios in Broad Street, Birmingham and sadly the former Theatre royal / Astoria Cinema was then demolished to make way for a new building on the site in 1973.

Yes, it was!
Found this......

Theatre Royal, Aston Road North, Aston, BirminghamLater - The Astoria Cinema / Alpha Television StudiosBirmingham Index

The Theatre Royal, Aston was built at a cost of £6,500 and opened on the 7th of August 1893.

Just a year later the Theatre was sold to Charles Barnard and extensively refurbished.

The Theatre was again refurbished in 1912 at great expense and is stated to have had a capacity of 2000 at the time.

The Theatre closed for live entertainment in 1926 and was converted for Cinema use, reopening as the Astoria Cinema on the 12th of December 1927.

The Astoria Cinema itself closed on the 26th of November 1955 and the building was then converted into a Television Studio for ATV and ABC Television Limited, and renamed the Alpha Television Studios, opening on the 17th of February 1956.

ATV later moved into its own purpose built studios in Broad Street, Birmingham and sadly the former Theatre royal / Astoria Cinema was then demolished to make way for a new building on the site in 1973.
Same info is in post #2

another photo i have been given folks with no location...think ive read that there was an astoria picture house down aston cross...could anyone confirm that this is the one please or not as the case maybe

lyn

View attachment 136068
Yes that's definitely right Lyn...at the far right end to the left of the billboards were the exit doors from the bottom rows of the cinema...for us bad boys from Paddington St, it was the way in.
Dave A

Evening all, I am trying to trace some family history that is either related to the Astoria or Hippodrome. My Mom said that one of my distant relations was involved in the management of the theatre (I think it was the astoria) but they encountered an accident where they fell and caused themselves some brain damage, whilst at work in the theatre. I'd love to be able to put some flesh to the limited information. The family lived on Park lane. during the wars.

Evening all, I am trying to trace some family history that is either related to the Astoria or Hippodrome. My Mom said that one of my distant relations was involved in the management of the theatre (I think it was the astoria) but they encountered an accident where they fell and caused themselves some brain damage, whilst at work in the theatre. I'd love to be able to put some flesh to the limited information. The family lived on Park lane. during the wars.

if the accident was reported some of our members maybe able to check the online newspapers for you but would need more info from you such as the name of the person and approximate year of accident

lyn

if the accident was reported some of our members maybe able to check the online newspapers for you but would need more info from you such as the name of the person and approximate year of accident

lyn
Hi Lyn thanks for the response.

Talking to my Mom, her Nan my late great grandmother Annie Elizabeth Greenwood (1887 - 1939) sang and acted on the stage when she was young. She even rode a horse on the stage but fell as it bolted. This may help ties down a timeframe. My Mom said it was Annie's Dad who fell from the balcony causing brain damage. If this is correct then his name was Lord Herbert Greenwood, (Born 1852) After the accident, my late Nan said she was told he could speak backwards, so never worked again. She also said he was a 'manager' there, but my Mom was never able to confirm this. The family for many years lived on Park lane. I appreciate the above is unsubstantiated, but I would love to see if I could verify any of it. Many thanks

What is meant by 'speak backwards'? Was that an impediment due to his accident?
You do hear of people speaking with foreign accents from time to time. A woman in Plymouth suddenly found she spoke like someone Chinese and I read the other day someone coming out of a coma with an Italian sounding accent.

What is meant by 'speak backwards'? Was that an impediment due to his accident?
You do hear of people speaking with foreign accents from time to time. A woman in Plymouth suddenly found she spoke like someone Chinese and I read the other day someone coming out of a coma with an Italian sounding accent.
My Mom said my Nan said she had been told just that all his words come out backwards. It was after his fall from the teahre balcony.

There is no mention at all of a Lord Herbert Greenwood in the online archives, and no mention of this occurrence searching for Lord Greenwood or Herbert Greenwood

There is no mention at all of a Lord Herbert Greenwood in the online archives, and no mention of this occurrence searching for Lord Greenwood or Herbert Greenwood
Many thanks for looking _ I will check that it was LH Greenwood with my Mom.

I used to go there every week when I was about 12-13, there was always talk of someone falling from a balcony, but that's all I know.
You comments did make me feel strange. My Family lived in the area for many years, (Geenwoods, Parsons, and Allen's) my Great Nan used to be the one who helped on all the births, and laying out the dead.

According to the online electoral rolls lord Herbert Greenwood lived at 156 till 1930, but in the 1935 roll only his wife was there (with some differently surnamed others)

According to the online electoral rolls lord Herbert Greenwood lived at 156 till 1930, but in the 1935 roll only his wife was there (with some differently surnamed others)
I suspect he may have died, although as yet I've not located his year of death. I've not seen the 1935 roll myself so don't know who else it could have been I know my Great Nans Annie Elizabeth would have been there perhaps my Nan Beatrice Constance Parsons or her bother, James Parsons, even my Grandad George Philip Allen. My Great Grandad died at the Somme, and some point my Great Nan took in a lodger, and 2 children. The children's mother had died in child birth, (my Great Nan was the local unofficial midwife, and took them and their Father who my mom called Grandad ( Mr Sanderson) in. It was Mr Snaderson who told my Mom about the fall from the balcony, and that it was LHG. Thanks to everyone for having a look for me though :)

Back