• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Astoness ( lyn )

Having been away from the forum over the past few weeks I was totally shocked by the news of Steve's bereavement.

Lyn, not only as a forum friend, but also as a fellow school friend from Hockley, my heart felt feelings are with you at this tragic time. Take Lyn, my thoughts are constantly with you. keith

RIP Steve......my thoughts are with you at this time Lyn, so sorry to hear the sad news, my love goes to you and your family xxx

Just seen this as I have been away, soo sorry Lyn to hear the sad news. Take care Pattyx

thank you all once again...we are truely overwhelmed by all the messages.. cards..emails and telephone calls of kindness and support that we have received.....our rachel and hubby will phoned me last night to say that they will be flying over from usa at the end of next week..so pleased that they make it...

lyn..xx

Last edited:
Lyn, I am so sorry to hear that your beloved Steve has passed away. My thoughts are with you and your family at this very sad time.

Polly

Lyn

So very sorry to hear your sad news. Deepest sympathy to you and yours. Take care.
Suzanne

Lyn, what can any one say that the other members have not already said, We have only just got back after afew day away, to read this sad news.
our thoughts are with you at this time
Keith

Lyn,
After a few days away from the Forum, I've just returned to learn the very sad news of Steve's passing. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Take care.

Maurice xx

Like a few others, I've been away from the Forum for some time and missed this very sad news. Next home game I'll have a pint for Steve in the Garrison.

Hi Lyn

I like many others have not been on the forum, I'm so sorry to hear of you loss, my thoughts are with you at this very difficult time

THANK YOU...:)

HI ALL..THE WORDS FROM A BEATLES SONG ...I GET BY WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS SPRINGS TO MIND RIGHT NOW BECAUSE WITHOUT THE WEALTH OF SUPPORT I HAVE RECEIVED FROM YOU ALL OVER THE PAST FEW MONTHS I JUST WOULD NOT HAVE GOT THROUGH IT ALL...

STEVES FUNERAL YESTERDAY WAS PERFECT...PERFECT FOR HIM AND PERFECT FOR US AS A FAMILY..THE DRIVE FROM HOME TO THE CREM WAS THE NOISIEST MOST UPLIFTING THING I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED.THE ROAR OF THE BIKES ..THE WAY THEY STOPPED AND HELD UP TRAFFIC WAS JUST THE MOST AMAZING THING AND HELPED ME AND KIDS GREATLY.I AM TELLING YOU ALL THIS BECAUSE NOT ONLY ARE YOU ALL MY FRIENDS BUT I WANT YOU ALL TO KNOW THAT IT WAS NOT THE SOMBER AFFAIR YOU MAY THINK.. THE SONGS CHOSEN BY STEVE HIMSELF TELLS WHAT TYPE OF PERSON HE WAS...STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN...MR BLUE SKIES AND FINALLY BAT OF OF HELL..THIS WAS TRUELY A CELEBRATION OF STEVES LIFE......TO POSTIE AND HILARY..TEMPLER.MAYFIELD.COLIN.MIKE-G AND MO... THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TURNING UP YESTERDAY TO SHOW SUPPORT...

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU IN MANY DIFFERENT WAYS HAS GIVEN ME THE WILL TO CARRY ON..SOME KNEW OF OUR HEARTACHE AND SOME OF YOU DIDNT BUT YOU ALL PLAYED A PART...

I OWE YOU ALL SUCH AND LOT AND WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO REPAY ALL THE KINDNESS YOU HAVE SHOWN TO ME....

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE EMAILS...TXT MESSAGES PHONE CALLS...MESSAGES OF CONDOLENCE..

THANK YOU JENNYANN FOR THE LOVELY BASKET FLOWER ARRANGEMENT THAT LANDED ON MY DOORSTEP LAST WEEK..I WAS SO TOUCHED BY SUCH A KIND THOUGHT....IT NOW GRACES A SPECIAL SPOT IN THE LIVING ROOM...

AND NOW A SPECIAL THANKS TO 3 DEAR FRIENDS WHO HAVE KEPT ME LEVEL HEADED AND FOCUSED FOR SUCH A LONG TIME NOW..THANK YOU SHIRLEY (bordesley excile) MAGGS.. AND DEAR LYNNE WEBB..YOU HAVE BEEN TREMENDOUS....

YOU ARE ALL TRUE BRUMMIES WITH BIG HEARTS MADE OF GOLD....BUT THEN AGAIN I ALWAYS KNEW THAT DIDNT I..:)

LYN.....XXX

Last edited:
You are so wellcome Lyn...Celebrations of life are bittersweet as we all know. The two main celebrations of life that I attended in past years, my Mother and my brother were excellent and uplifting in the way that you describe the celebration of Steve's life, Lyn. Leaving me with good memories that overcame the sadness. A gathering of many dear friends and loved ones that you know the departed one would have just loved. That's how I always think about my family experiences of those celebrations of life.

It's wonderful to know that you had so much loving support from members of the BHF over the last difficult months. True Blue Brummies
indeed and who will no doubt help you through the days ahead.

Lyn - my father used to say that 'You only get out of life, what you put into it'....... Therefore Lyn the love and support that you received from everyone is only what you truely deserve. See you soon at the next forum bash. Mabz

Lyn,
I have often thought this forum is in itself like a large family with many members, each member with their own expertise or strength in a particular area. It dosn't matter what type of problem crops up-- there is always someone in the forum who has the answere or who has had a similar experiance and can offer the right degreeof support.
I think perhaps that is what you have found out for yourself lyn.
Best wishes in the days to come. Mike.

I have only recently joined this wonderful community of friends and neighbours but it did not take long to recognise you Lyn as one of the cornerstones of its success. I was deeply saddened to learn of your personal loss and would like to offer here the words of a North American poet, Mary Frye, that you might find comforting and helpful at this point in time.

Do not stand at my grave and weep ....
I am not there. I do not sleep

I am the thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glint on the snow

I am the sunlight on ripened grain
I am the gentle autumn rain

When you awakein the morning hush
I am the swift upflinging rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight
I am the soft star-shine at night

Do not stand at my grave and cry
I am not there. I did not die.

Mary Frye

Last edited:
thank you all once again...mike i agree with you..this forum is more than a history forum its more like one big family..even members who we may not know so well or new ones just seem to come from nowhere to offer support or advise...and thank you too dave for your kind words. and that lovely poem....i will never understand the praise i keep getting just for being a member of the forum..all i am doing is following my passion for the history of birmingham and along the way i have found so many kind and genuine people that its hard to take in sometimes...its been said to me that you reap what you sow but ive sown nothing....if anything it is i who should feel privileged to be amongst you all...and i do..

lyn..x

Back