• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Villa history

Andy Lochhead in the air!

Score...2-1 to Aston Villa...Competition League Cup Semi-final 2nd leg...Venue Villa ParkAttendance 58,667

(Edit to include You Tube)

IMG_1014.jpeg

Last edited:
Pedrocut,Was talking to Brian Little on Sat about the match at Old Trafford in the Cup Final and Chris Nicholls winning goal.I was stood as he shot for goal right behind ,and you could see it was a goal straight away as soon as he kicked it

In 1977 I had left the city as I couldn't afford to buy a house there. I bought my first house in a little village just outside Tamworth called Warton. I worked for Unigate at their Lichfield depot and one of our customers was Brian Little who at that time lived in Fradley. A colleague of mine, who happened to be a Villa fan and was the roundsman who delivered to the Little household, and I went to Wembley for the league final which ended in a draw. Looking for tickets to the replay at Hillsborough he asked Brian's wife if there was a possibility that Brian could accommodate us. Sure enough a couple of tickets appeared and no question of payment arose. We were astounded at his generosity.
Imagine our absolute delight when after that match was drawn and yet another replay was needed, tucked into the empty milk bottles were a pair of tickets to Old Trafford, again without a request for any payment.
Lot's of people know about his prowess on the field, a true Villa hero and I will always remember his playing career and success but his generosity will always stand out for me.
p.s. Needless to say there was never a weekly milk bill at the Little household whilst I worked at Lichfield depot.:)

Pedrocut,Was talking to Brian Little on Sat about the match at Old Trafford in the Cup Final and Chris Nicholls winning goal.I was stood as he shot for goal right behind ,and you could see it was a goal straight away as soon as he kicked it
In 1977 I had left the city as I couldn't afford to buy a house there. I bought my first house in a little village just outside Tamworth called Warton. I worked for Unigate at their Lichfield depot and one of our customers was Brian Little who at that time lived in Fradley. A colleague of mine, who happened to be a Villa fan and was the roundsman who delivered to the Little household, and I went to Wembley for the league final which ended in a draw. Looking for tickets to the replay at Hillsborough he asked Brian's wife if there was a possibility that Brian could accommodate us. Sure enough a couple of tickets appeared and no question of payment arose. We were astounded at his generosity.
Imagine our absolute delight when after that match was drawn and yet another replay was needed, tucked into the empty milk bottles were a pair of tickets to Old Trafford, again without a request for any payment.
Lot's of people know about his prowess on the field, a true Villa hero and I will always remember his playing career and success but his generosity will always stand out for me.
p.s. Needless to say there was never a weekly milk bill at the Little household whilst I worked at Lichfield depot.:)

I've only ever watched one live professional football match - it was Aston Villa v Grimsby Town and the score was 3-3.
It was in 1947 so probably can be classed as 'near vintage'. A Google search pins it down to Sat 12 April 1947. Has anyone on the forum watched an earlier Villa match?

I was only little at the time and on the packed Witton end terrace I did not have a good viewpoint, so the crowd picked me up and passed me by hand overhead to a better place to watch !

My one and only visit to Villa Park !

I've only watched one, at Villa Park, Villa v Birmingham in the fifties a 'play dirty' game if ever there was one. Could have been when I was on leave or after demob, (1955) can't remember.

Jeanne,if your still with us on here.In 1959-60,my brother me and members of the Villa supp club opened a little shop just across rh road from the Holte Pub.We all mucked in painting and decorating it out.It was a great success ,my brother was chief buyer of scarves and Pom Pom hats,we sold badges and programs from away match.When Doug Ellis let us open the Supporter Club in the ground we asked could we have a small shopp in the ground.His exact words were IT WILL NEVER CATCH ON SELLING SCARVES OR EVEN SHIRTS.And that was from a business man. was he proved wrong.And those were his exact words

My first visit to Villa Park was in the late 50s and I remember buying one of these to wear except that mine had a picture of Peter McParland in the centre.
60s Star Badge - Johnny Dixon - Aston Villa.JPG.
I wish I still had it.

Jeanne,if your still with us on here.In 1959-60,my brother me and members of the Villa supp club opened a little shop just across rh road from the Holte Pub.We all mucked in painting and decorating it out.It was a great success ,my brother was chief buyer of scarves and Pom Pom hats,we sold badges and programs from away match.When Doug Ellis let us open the Supporter Club in the ground we asked could we have a small shopp in the ground.His exact words were IT WILL NEVER CATCH ON SELLING SCARVES OR EVEN SHIRTS.And that was from a business man. was he proved wrong.And those were his exact words

Doug Ellis the man who invented the bicycle kick.

Jmadone,we used to sell them.Andwith other players pictures on.I was the supporter enrollment person at the time,and we had lots of Scandinavian supporters at that time from Norway,Sweden and Finland & Denmark after the Villa won the FA CUP

Wow a brill story, thank you for sharing ,hope you made a packet of dosh

OldmoHawk.my dad used to take me to villa park just after the war finished.Sometimes he would put me on his shoulders to see the match

Back