• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Villa Match Report

badpenny

Deleted Upon Request
Would anyone have any thoughts as to where i might find a match report for an Aston Villa home game from February 1958?

For some reason, although the Sports Argus is available on the newspaper archive for 1957 and 1959, it is not on for 1958. However the site seems to have all the Birmingham Post issues for feb. 1958

I have looked at the www.11v11.com website which gives me some info i didn't have.

Really need a written match report, sports argus would have been the prime candidate

but will see if the Birmingham Post has any coverage.

Did the Sunday Mercury cover the local football matches also?

I have looked at the www.11v11.com website which gives me some info i didn't have.

Really need a written match report, sports argus would have been the prime candidate

but will see if the Birmingham Post has any coverage.

Did the Sunday Mercury cover the local football matches also?
Which match do you want the report for? They only played Blackpool and Chelsea at home that month.

Thank you Mike, very much appreciated. I had managed to get a copy of the match programme and together with the report job done.

The highlight of the match, it was Stanley Matthews 43rd birthday and i remember the crowd singing happy birthday to him.

I doubt they would do that in this day and age.

Dear History Forum Football Experts,
Does anyone know what became of the Birmingham Sports Argus during WW2? 1941 is where I am just now. I'm on shaky ground here because I know so little about football in general :0 No League football during WW2... Was there enough news of sport even to publish it? All help very welcome and thank you.
Best wishes,
Annie

It wasn't published through the war, I recall being a paper boy for Billy Kirton's shop on Kingstanding road on the night it was returned to publication, can't be sure of the date but as I was about thirteen/fourteen at the time it must have been 48/49.

It wasn't published through the war, I recall being a paper boy for Billy Kirton's shop on Kingstanding road on the night it was returned to publication, can't be sure of the date but as I was about thirteen/fourteen at the time it must have been 48/49.
Thank you so much Eric - perfect. Just what I needed. All best,
Annie

Back