• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Villa history

I have an old piece of card, which has the autographs of Villa’s players in their March 1934 game against Arsenal at Highbury. I doubt if it has any value, since the signatures are in pencil and rather faded, but I‘m sure that Villa fans would be interested to see it. They were collected by my grandfather, and it looks like he used the only materials to hand - what appears to be the back of his union handbook and a pencil stub.
796549E4-0CE8-4BDC-AC7A-5693DC0FBDB7.jpeg23B5DD46-A123-4C11-83DF-E38E7BBA492D.jpeg
Hmmm, resolution could have been better.
Enel

Last edited:
Lovely piece of Villa history, including Joe Berresford, Eric Houghton and the great Pongo Waring. Holte Enders in the sky.

I have an old piece of card, which has the autographs of Villa’s players in their March 1934 game against Arsenal at Highbury. I doubt if it has any value, since the signatures are in pencil and rather faded, but I‘m sure that Villa fans would be interested to see it. They were collected by my grandfather, and it looks like he used the only materials to hand - what appears to be the back of his union handbook and a pencil stub.
View attachment 150130View attachment 150131
Hmmm, resolution could have been better.
Enel

very nice...i stand to be corrected but i am sure that signatures written in pencil are more valuable than written in ink or biro etc...those are very clear to me and maybe worth a bob or two

lyn

very nice...i stand to be corrected but i am sure that signatures written in pencil are more valuable than written in ink or biro etc...those are very clear to me and maybe worth a bob or two

lyn
Lyn, I would agree with you, I sold some Aston Villa autographs for a late aunt, and those in pencil were appreciated more than those in pen. RobT

At my parents I came across a variety of football cuttings autographs etc and a few copies of Villa Times - this was a newspaper specifically for the Villa - I have scanned a few items and adverts which may be of interest.
First the Title of the newspaper notice the price and also the year almost 45 years ago seems like yesterday.

img529 1.jpg

Last edited:
I also came across a carrier bag of Programs and fan magazines - here is a Birmingham City one, this is November 1968, apparently a neighbour had a relative who worked around the Midland football grounds and gathered mags, autographs and cuttings , he was having a clear out and they were passed on to my parents, who put it in a cupboard!

img525 1.jpg

Finally although not Birmingham it is near enough, The Albion, note the autographs, to commemorate their visit to Wembley, possibly the last time they went ?

View attachment 156002
These are great pics Steve. I am a Villa supporter but my husband follows baggies. I remember this FA cup final. Great to see the team, especially the lovely Jeff Astle. Bumped into him in Teneriffe one year. Felt as if I’d known him all my life. Went to see them at Wembley against Port Vale in the 92/93 Play offs, Albion winning 3 0. Sue

Back