• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Villa history

adap2it ,Was it really that cheap in 71,Ilived in Lichfield then but travelled to the Villa to open the supporters shop ever home match with my brother.Mind you the players weren't payed the colossal wages then we're they.Think Petrol was only about 5/- a gallon.

Around that time I was a steward in the Witton Lane Stand. The last passageway up by the Holte End.Anything to get in the match for nothing and a free programme :yum:yum

My brother was an Ardent Villa fan. I moved to Kent in84 so never got up to see them only on telly.When he died 6 years ago we found he collected Villa first day covers.He had a collection of over 80 some signed by old Villa players.McParland on a souvenir 57 cup final one and the England Manager on a couple more.My daughter helps run the Kent Lions and gets Allthe tickets for the 65 supporters down.She as a badley disabled son and has just got Villa Park to install Disabled facility's in the Ground.Many thanks to Jack Grealishwho helped set up a charity and put a lot of money in it to buy an Electric wheel chair for her son.Which myself and my wife will be forever greatful to him.

hi jackie...dont know what year it was but how lovely that your uncle was shown so much respect by the villa players and the club..he must have been well thought of

lyn

Hi Lyn, my father passed away in January 2019, and documents became available, and I was hoping for lots of photo's, I have a few. I have marriage, death, birth certificates. Harry's photo with Paul McGrath and Shaun Teale . He was well thought of. I have learnt a little family history. My son has been a great Aston Villa fan, he's had the photo's and had a tattoo. IMG_1646.JPGIMG_1691.JPGIMG_4425.JPG

how lovely jackie thanks everso much for sharing this with us ..sorry to hear about the loss of your dad

lyn x

adap2it ,Was it really that cheap in 71,Ilived in Lichfield then but travelled to the Villa to open the supporters shop ever home match with my brother.Mind you the players weren't payed the colossal wages then we're they.Think Petrol was only about 5/- a gallon.
I guess it was...didn't think much about it back then. As you said, the players didn't get those ridiculous salaries and it wasn't a corporate business with all the advertising revenue. 75P was about 15/-, so I remember going to games for a bob or two.
Dave A

Pedro cut my daughter as the Original photos take by my brother of the complete rebuild of the Holte End ,taken of the period of the rebuild.When he died he had the original plans that the Architect thought had been scrapped.I stupidly threw them away

Don't know what year it was but they dug up the complete pitch ,down a few feet and filled it with Polystyrene to help the drainage .Bert Bond was the groundsman.What a nice man he was

I met Charlie Aitkin recently in Ludlow, he looked no different from his playing days apart from his grey hair. Spent quite a bit of time with him chatting about the old days. Lovely man and a brilliant defender.

Many thanks Pedrocut.He used to come into the supporters club with Charlie Aitkin before home matches and have a chat And laugh.

Back