• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Villa history

Smudger. If you do not like football fair enough but why bother to comment on it at all?
Old Boy
Old Boy,
We live in a democracy. I love footie, just not the modern game. I played footie for my school & also the Army. These days i would rather watch schoolboy footie, having said that, it seems the kids have also adopted the "ugly face" when they score a goal. Sad. Whatever happened to humility.

Great picture. Does the anchor depicted on the crest perhaps represent the Birmingham hallmark denoting the Villa are based in our great city?

Just what is the story behind this decoration? The Villa crest has a Lion but none seen here.

The Great Yarmouth Arms has 3 lions whose bodies appear to be fish. The Anchor is the Birmingham hallmark, but why the leaves that may be laurel, the rope? And does the top represent castles?

It was obviously with other badges - what were they? Also where exactly was it? I too wondered if the anchor was a hallmark. Also if there was a "craft" connection as in ship or similar.

Just what is the story behind this decoration? The Villa crest has a Lion but none seen here.

The Great Yarmouth Arms has 3 lions whose bodies appear to be fish. The Anchor is the Birmingham hallmark, but why the leaves that may be laurel, the rope? And does the top represent castles?

I think that the rope is just a border seen on most naval ships badges as are the sails of the ships above the crest, I don't think they're castles. The laurel wreath I can't give a rational explanation for other than they are awarded to winners but I too would have thought the famous Villa Lion would have been depicted.

The rope decoration was why I wondered about ships - Great Yarmouth made me think of fishing vessels!

The first match i went to with my Father was in February 1958, Aston Villa v Blackpool.

It was a packed house due mainly i expect to everyone wanting to see Stanley Matthews play.

I remember the crowd sang happy birthday dear Stanley, a great occasion but it was a poor game

that finished in 1-1 draw. Believe it or not is was Matthews 43rd birthday.

At the time Villa were of course the FA Cup holders from the previous season.

Last edited:
I must apologise for my last post on this thread which has been deleted by an administrator. Reason: “This isn a history forum, not a fans chatroom."

I must also thank him/her for the reminder that this is a history forum, as I quite often forget the fact. However the goal scored by Alan Hutton will go down in Aston Villa folk-memory.

I remember in 1976 my 6 year old son wanted an Aston Villa track suit from Santa, I travelled from Portsmouth on the train to visit the Shop on Villa Ground only to find out oops closed on Away games, I was heart broken,But whoever the lovely guy was opened up the shop for little old me and I was able to make my sons Christmas wish come true, Thanks again whoever you are

Back