• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Villa history

England v Scotland 1945.jpg

International played at Villa Park. England won 3 - 2 . Joe Mercer later managed Villa and lead them to victory in the inaugural League Cup in 1961. The opposing captain, Matt Busby didn't do too bad either as a manager !

Last edited:
Does anyone remember Oscar Arce ? The day he signed for the Villa I went down to Villa Park and I remember being allowed into the old Witton End near the players entrance and he came out and spent a few minutes juggling the ball - I was most impressed, I was about 13. In later years I thought of him as a Brazilian but I discovered he was Argentinian and had a Brother- also signed- called Hector.theer
Yes, I do remember him - Freddie Mwila and Emment Kapengwe were with us around the same time.

Does anyone remember Oscar Arce ? The day he signed for the Villa I went down to Villa Park and I remember being allowed into the old Witton End near the players entrance and he came out and spent a few minutes juggling the ball - I was most impressed, I was about 13. In later years I thought of him as a Brazilian but I discovered he was Argentinian and had a Brother- also signed- called Hector.
In the late 1960s Aston Villa had a trio of midfielders who really should have been given the chance to play together, but never did.

Their names - Jimmy Brown, Oscar Arce and Barrie Hole. Work it out for yourselves.

"The Jimmy Brown you are referring to was a Scottish Schoolboy and IIRC he joined Villa in May 1969 whereas Oscar Arce left Aston Villa in January 1969 and thus there was no overlap or possibility that they would play together in a team."

Last edited:
In the late 1960s Aston Villa had a trio of midfielders who really should have been given the chance to play together, but never did.

Their names - Jimmy Brown, Oscar Arce and Barrie Hole. Work it out for yourselves.

"The Jimmy Brown you are referring to was a Scottish Schoolboy and IIRC he joined Villa in May 1969 whereas Oscar Arce left Aston Villa in January 1969 and thus there was no overlap or possibility that they would play together in a team."
In response to RobT I think it was Charlie Aitken re the trio of players. Apologies if this post is not acceptable. Kind regards, Sue

In response to RobT I think it was Charlie Aitken re the trio of players. Apologies if this post is not acceptable. Kind regards, Sue
He’s up he’s down he’s in the Rose And Crown Barry Hole Barry Hole. Great chant that followed him around did he have a drink problem or was he fined for being drunk at some stage. I know the Tilton used to chant it every time he had the ball when the two teams met.

Last edited:
First time of reading this thread. I, nor my Dad or brothers were ever interested in football. We lived in Abbey Road Erdington near Brookvale Park so every Saturday Villa were playing at home we could always hear the roar of the crowd when they scored. There was one of the Villa players lived almost opposite us, Parkes, I think his name was Harry, but not sure. I know they eventually had a sports shop in Erdington. I wonder now if he was 'notable' in any way, in his time at Villa

First time of reading this thread. I, nor my Dad or brothers were ever interested in football. We lived in Abbey Road Erdington near Brookvale Park so every Saturday Villa were playing at home we could always hear the roar of the crowd when they scored. There was one of the Villa players lived almost opposite us, Parkes, I think his name was Harry, but not sure. I know they eventually had a sports shop in Erdington. I wonder now if he was 'notable' in any way, in his time at Villa
My Dad Gordon Parkes and my Grandpa Ernie Parkes were regulars at the Villa. From age 6 I used to go with them ( lifted over the “boys” turnstile gate!!) Dad often talked about Harry Parkes being a cousin... he did indeed run a shop and had been a player. Never met him. I do have Charlie Aitken’s autograph though!

At least I got your drift Rob :D
Btw Charlie Aitken had an antiques shop in Acocks Green village for many years.

Harry Parkes went to Slade Road School Johnny082 and was indeed "notable" during his years at Villa Park. He made 345 appearances for Villa and also played 134 games during WW2. Harry was a one club man. He was a player from 1939 to 1955 and was a board member during the late 1960s and 1970s. He had shops at Six Ways Erdington and at Corporation Street, and I remember gazing at the photographs of old Villa teams, that he had on the walls at both shops. Below are three photos of Harry during his playing days, at his shop and when a club director (standing):

1653325878809.png 1653325918988.png 1653326022237.png

Harry Parkes went to Slade Road School Johnny082 and was indeed "notable" during his years at Villa Park. He made 345 appearances for Villa and also played 134 games during WW2. Harry was a one club man. He was a player from 1939 to 1955 and was a board member during the late 1960s and 1970s. He had shops at Six Ways Erdington and at Corporation Street, and I remember gazing at the photographs of old Villa teams, that he had on the walls at both shops. Below are three photos of Harry during his playing days, at his shop and when a club director (standing):

View attachment 170329 View attachment 170330 View attachment 170331
Got my first football kit and boots from the Corporation Street shop. 1953.

Back