• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Villa Groundsmen 1932ish

K

kathryn138

Hi there,

Can anyone help?

I am trying to find any info on my great great grandfather William Wilkins who was a groundsman at Aston Villa around 1932 and in particular find out whether he would have been in a team shot as other clubs of the time had groundsmen in the photos.

If any one can point me in the right the direction of where to find info or if anyone has any info I would be grateful. My grandfather is still alive and would love to find out more about his Grandad.

Many thanks in advance

Kathryn

I am lead to understand that when Doug Ellis bought the club the first thing he did was get rid of all the archives.

Maybe that's why I never got a reply when I offered them an old original photo of the team in about 1900. I am glad to say it's now in the hands of one of the Devey family who's ancestor was in the photo. Me I am just happy it went to a good home.

Kathryn I think they do have an archivist now so maybe worth asking on their website.

The "road" in Bodymoor Heath training ground is named Bond St after Villas greatest groundsman,Jack Bond, im not sure of the years he was there but certainly in the 50s.
He was so well respected in his sphere that he was asked to help improve the pitch at Wembley Stadium. Max

Yes John I was contacted by a friend of the family asking if they could buy the photo. I was so happy to find a good home I just sent it. The person thanked me and sent me a lovely bouquet of flowers that are still blooming...........that's reward enough for me John. xx

You are always so kind to everyone Wendy - You certainly deserved the flowers. I have had a look at the photo - you even get a mention!

That's a shame! Most other clubs are proud of their history! Well I shall keep on searching! Thanks for the info

I have managed to find this picture of Aston Villa in 1935 (which is a bit later than Kathryn was looking for)

https://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Articles/Updates-2010.htm

If you scroll down to the updates under March there is a small photo of a few of the players - pictured because the article is commenting about their double banded collars.

I have found that if you click on the photo it opens in another window to show the full photo of the team - on the left there is a man dressed in a tweed type jacket and wearing a cap.

I have sent this to kathryn and she is going to show it to her Grandad to see if it may be his dad.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is him (and I am sure you will all do the same).
Polly

I am lead to understand that when Doug Ellis bought the club the first thing he did was get rid of all the archives.

A load of rubbish, as if a club like Aston Villa would allow their archives to be destroyed , Doug Ellis loved the club. Max

Hi Polly,

Just to tie up the story, the man in the photo wasn't my great grandad... never mind! Thank you for all your help

Kathryn

Update regarding Villa archives John H

Hello John,

As far as I am aware, there is no one yet appointed to do that
specific job, but if you were to contact Villa Park (0121 327 2299)
and ask for Lee Preece - who is the manager responsible - I am sure
your query will get sorted out.

Best wishes,

John Lerwill

Update regarding Villa archives John H

Hello John,

As far as I am aware, there is no one yet appointed to do that
specific job, but if you were to contact Villa Park (0121 327 2299)
and ask for Lee Preece - who is the manager responsible - I am sure
your query will get sorted out.

Best wishes,

John Lerwill

Excellent both Johns.

Hi Kathryn

My grandfather was Joe Beresford who played for the Villa from 1927-1934.

I have a fantastic scrapbook/photo album that Joe's father-in-law made of his career (ironically Joe's father-in-law had initially forbid any of his daughters 'getting involved' with any Villa players (they lived in Perry Barr) but once he'd forgiven daughter Ivy for going against his wishes, he became Joe's biggest fan: hence the scrapbook).

It's back at my fathers house at the moment but I will have a look through it as I know there are a few photos in there of the Villa team training at Villa Park and I'm sure these show some staff (in obligatory caps!)

Will keep you posted.

Up the Villa, Dean Beresford x

i was brought up in and around aston infact holte road in 40,s and 5o,s iwent school in what was then called station road later to beyew tree road school iplayed football for the school and one of my team mates was alad named kieth callagun who i,m sure his father was groundsman then called mush so we spent agreat deal of time in and around villa park in fact they lived in ahouse at the ground there used to be acar park on the ground where the players would isuppose you would call a 5 a side after training they would now and then let us play with them johnny dixon jimmy dugdale pat seward can you imagine playing with your footballing idles wonderful memories anyway getting carried away here I, msure billy bonds was the next ground s man and after that some one named tony eden who went to and played f0r the same school as us jh

Hi Dean,

Happy to receive your message. Will look forward to any positive results.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Kathryn, it's Dean Beresford here, grandson of Joe Beresford who played for The Villa from 1927 - 1935. I have been in touch before with regards possibly having a photo with your great grandad on. I don't think I have one. However have a look at the facebook page that I have created in tribute to Joe https://www.facebook.com/pages/Joe-Beresford/186878374698152?sk=info

There's some great photos on there, especially of the players training at Villa Park. It was amongst these particular pics that I was hoping to find your great grandad. The guy in the cap in the pic that Polly linked you to is Harry Cooch who was the Villa trainer at the time (my grandad is also in this pic: seated on the middle row; second right, next to Villa's first ever manager Jimmy McMullan). Harry also features quite a lot in the aforementioned photos on the facebook page.

Anyway, have a look at the page. I've tried to tell the story of Joe's career using the photo galleries and captions. Even if you don't find photos of your great grandad there's plenty of pics of the pitch that he kept! Regards, Dean.
Hi Polly,

Just to tie up the story, the man in the photo wasn't my great grandad... never mind! Thank you for all your help

Kathryn

He did chuck a load of stuff in the skips in 1969 as my friends dad took them out and took them home with him I have copies of all the 1920s photos that he had so know it is true

Back