• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston villa at war

A Trawler Called Aston Villa
Consolidated Fisheries Limited of Grimsby was founded by Sir John, D, Marsden-Bart, who had the Idea to name a fleet of 16 trawlers after Famous football clubs in order to promote keen rivalry amongst his trawler Skippers all 16 boats where built in the period between 1933 and 1938. During the second world war all his ships served with the Royal Navy and did a great service but sadly they suffered great losses unfortunately Aston Villa was blown out of the water and sunk off the coast of Norway in the Norwegian campaign when 14 fourteen British ships suffered the same fate at the hands of German U boats and aircraft raids. After the war the fleet was rebuilt and once more Aston Villa left Grimsby to fish the wild Artic Ocean and the North Seas.​
Bob Houghton​

Sorry, I have no info on HMS Aston Villa (as she was officially known) but I do have these pic's .
Ship and crew during WWII and the wreck being dived upon some time later.

Attachments

• aston villa 548HMS ASTON VILLA.jpg
    aston villa 548HMS ASTON VILLA.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 7
  • aston villa 874HMS ASTON VILLA CREW.jpg
    aston villa 874HMS ASTON VILLA CREW.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 8
  • aston villa 541HMS ASTON VILLA WRECK.jpg
    aston villa 541HMS ASTON VILLA WRECK.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 8
Back