• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Variety & Artists Club

IF THIS IS THE SAME VARIETY ARTISTS CLUB .MY EX HUSBAND USED TO PLAY IN A GROUP IN THE 60s.AND WE HAD SEVERAL GIGS THERE .BUT TO OUR ASTONISHMENT THE OWNERS ASKED THE GROUP NOT TO BRING THEIR GIRLFRIENDS BECAUSE IT UPSET.THE "GIRLS".....WE FOUND OUT IT WAS A GAY CLUB...FOR MEN ......NO PROBLEM THERE ....FREE BOOZE AND GOOD PAY .SO WE STAYED AT HOME THOSE NIGHTS ..I WONDER IF ITS THE SAME CLUB....CANT THINK OF ANOTHER ARTISTS VARIETY CLUB IN ASTON ????

HI JILL yes the club as been there many years ago around the time you have said ; and on the subject this club was discussed on this forum about four years ago and there was alot of information and some advertising bill boards shown but sadlely some -one decided to take all the information off
our forum every think including photos of virtualy every subject that was ever discussed and there fore no-one could recall or even
more sadly we have lost a few old members [ our senior ones ] sadly they have passed away ;
the club did excist as my dear old mother told me about the club and her grt grand parents involvedments as i was growing up
as they was involved with the thearter world as they trod the birmingham boards and travelled with the likes of wee georgie wood ; and the late billy cotton of waky wakey band and there was another old charater freddie frinton the little man whom acted as a drunk with a fag end in his mouth
there was one or two clubs or should i say thearters arond the big one was in the digbeth centre hall
but any way i am sure some one will come out with some think for you i find it sad to know that some one as they cal ithacked into our grt forum but we are still trying to rebuild ;the forum with all the yester years that ws taken ;
but i have noticed that slowly but surely these pics are slowly butsurely are coming coming back t our grt forum ;
its true what they say the clb was still there until about the sixties that being a building i mean after that the clientel and theme of the club changed dramitic it became a bad place after it was sold off especialy at week ends
still do not give up on us at this forum its full of things and great people whom there minds will blow you away with there knowledge ;
have a nice day ; best wishes astonian

I started in showbiz with the Tony Romano Ladies Accordion Band in the mid 1940's which was unpaid & all profits for 'charity'. We met and rehearsed in the Chapel Tavern, Great Charles Street, and played at venues like the Birmingham Parks. Tony Romano had a wife called Kitty Broadhurst, who used to do a solo act of Florrie Forde - big hat, feathers and all !! The band also had a resident singer called Marion - "The Canadian Nightingale". Marion also worked the Clubs and poffered to introduce me as a guest act on shows with her.

I was taught the accorion by Phillip Tamburro who had a shop and accordion workshop in Dale End. He had two sons, Johnny and Phillip (Stage name "Phillipo") who played at concerts aroud the midlands and died at an early age of Brights Disease. I also had lessons from another great accordionist, Tommy O'Hara.

I about 1948 I joined The Midland Entertainers Association (MEA) which held meetings at The Crown, Snow Hill, on a Sunday Lunchtime in an upstairs room where entertainment secretaries looking to nook new acts or indeed, re-book older acts. At the same time I joined The Birmingham & District Variety Artists Association (BDVAA) which met in Dale End. At some time between 1948 and 1952, BDVAA moved to Trinity Road, Aston, in a large old house with 2 or 3 meeting rooms and a concert room at the back which was used for auditions. We went to meet En-Secs and hopefully take a booking at Sunday Lunchtimes and one night in the week.

The shows that we did were spread over an area as far afield as Northampton, Corby, Wolverhampton, Stafford,
Broadway and Leicester. each one being done there and back the same night, in my case carrying an accordion and two cases, on various buses or trains, hopefully lucky enough to get the first of the Late Buses and then a long walk back home. One night after a show in Northampton,we missed the train and had to wait for the early morning 'Milk Train' so we spent our time doing a show for other people in the waiting room. This was all at a time when we had no cars. From about 1954 we bought a car as did some other artists and we would find out who was on the same show and share. I remember doing a show at Wolverhampton with a Vent called Johnny Burnard and aTenor named Will Scotton - at the end of the show, Johnny asked my husband Bob, if he would drive us all home in his nold A40 van - when Bob climbed in he had to tie a length of string attached to the passdenger door to the Drivers door to stop them flying open! Things are vastly different now arn't they? There was a monthly paper run by a man called Claude Bennett called "The Club Herald" where artists advertised their acts.

In 1954 I started to get work from a Black Country Agent called Albert Millward and formed a double act withj a zylophonist named Pauline Joy bu this broke up in September the following year nwhen I refused to accept a booking at Malvern Wintergardens on the night before my wedding.

Shortly after that, we moved to Coventry and took a lot of work from a Pro Agent called Tony Cahill which brought a lot more (and better paid) long distance work like along weekend in Hull (before there were any motorways) - two shows Friday Night, Saturday Night & Sunday Night with one on Sunday Lunchtime and the driving back to Coventry arriving home at about 4 o'clock am and back at our days jobs at 08.30 !!

Artists names that I worked with come to mind: Larry Grayson (originally Billy Brean), Betty Driver, Joan Rhodes,
reckoned to have the longest legs in showbiz and used to bend iron barfs, break nails and tear large telephone directories in half, Shirly & David a singing duet, Johnny Silver finished at the Windmill Theatre, Blanche & Bobby Dorraine - Soubrette & Fiddle, Len Stanley - a remake of Max Miller, Jack Lilly Comedian, Freddie Atkins & his Sister, Sally Leslie both solo Vent acts, Jack Cadwakader, Bernard Cutler, Bill Pemberton and Bill Woodward all classic accompanists, Dennis Hacket, Bob Hatch & George Ball - comedians, Arthur Knowles, Harry Gumbley, Fred Milner
Terry Russell and lots, lots more.

Thank you for reading

Jean Barry

Fascinating read Jean, thanks so much for posting.
Fancy not wanting to work on the night before your wedding...tut tut :fat::fat:

Jean what an amazing career meeting all those famous people as well. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us.

Johnny Silver finished at the Windmill Theatre,

Hello Jean,

I once saw Johnny Silver as a support act at Aston Hippodrome. He was hilarious but could never have got away with his act nowadays. It was full of racist jokes but not malicious. He suddenly seemed to disappear so I was very interested to see that he finished at The Windmill. I can imagine his act going down very well there.

Old Boy

Here is my grandfather Tom Curley (at the front singing) with his act The Barrow Boys. Also his 'card' with contact info.

Attachments

• Barrow Boys.JPG
    Barrow Boys.JPG
    796.7 KB · Views: 54
  • BDVAA Card.JPG
    BDVAA Card.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 41
Hello Everyone,
My name is Bruce Bennett. Claude Bennett, editor and publisher of “The Club Herald” - who was mentioned in Jean Barry’s post (#34) - was my grandfather.

Although I was born and raised in America, my family made a number of trips back to England between 1967 through 1979, and because of my grandfather’s affiliation with the Artist’sClub and his stature within the entertainment industry, we were always welcomed with open arms and made to feel quite at home there. Consequently, I spent many a pleasant Friday and Saturday evening there in my youth.

As I recall, coming in through the main entrance, the bar area was to the left and the entertainment room, where they would hold bingo (tombola?) games and then have entertainment such as singers, comedians, etc., was to the right. Upstairs there was a small, cozy snooker room. One of the Club’s high-ranking officers at that time (late 60s/early 70s), who my grandfather introduced me to, was an impressive, well-dressed gentleman named Freddie Beddoes (or Beddows), who always went out of his way to make sure we were enjoying ourselves.

The last time I visited the Artist’s Club on Trinity Road was inSeptember 1979. I know that for a fact because Aston Villa FC had graciously given me press credentials to photograph two of their home matches (vs.Manchester United and Arsenal) and even though my dad was at both games, we still watched the televised versions in the evening at the Artists Club, along with my cousins and family friends. As I jokingly told my dad, he’d always dreamed of someday seeing one of his sons on the pitch at Villa Park, and although it wasn’t quite what he had in mind, hopefully it would suffice.

For an American lad, the social environment of England’s workingman’s clubs was just so different than anything we have over here, that it made an indelible impression on me. The Artists Club may no longer be there, but the many happy memories I have of evenings spent there will always be with me.

Hi Bruce
What wonderful memories you have. A few years too late to remember my Grandfather Tom Curely...... he died in December 1967. He as with many others mentioned here were dedicated to the variety club and I am ever thankful to hear the stories and memories of anyone who attended the club..... either as artistes or visitors.
Are you still in America?
Lulu

Hi Lulu,

Thank you so much for your response.

Yes, I still live in America, but with very, very deep roots in England. Which explains, I suppose, why I prowl sites like Birmingham History and Old Ladywood.com and contribute to them if I can. On the Old Ladywood site I've actually posted a few photos of my parents and grandparents from the 1940s, as well as a scan of the cover and masthead of The Club Herald.

You're right, I probably did not have the opportunity to meet your grandfather (I was there in June/July 1967), but I am quite certain your grandfather and my grandfather knew each other well.

Best wishes,
Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom died 1 year before I was born and that probably explains my obsession of trying to find info about him and his act. I have called my dad and read him your post, he was quite moved by your story. I will have a look at your posts on Old ladywwod. have you seen my photo of Tom and The Barrow Boys and a picture of his calling card for The variety Club?

Yes, I did. Unfortunately the oldest copy of The Club Herald I have is from 1967, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help. But hopefully others will stumble across this site, as I did, and perhaps we'll get lucky with one or two of them.

How nice to hear from someone in "The States" about our local BDVAA- yes, I remember Fred Beddoe but can't remember what sort of an act he did - I think possibly a comedian

What a lovely thread this is with so many memories. Thank you Bruce for your memories from across the pond.

Hi there
Im new on here.....Im just trying to find out if anyone remembers Bob Hatch a Brummie comedian in the 1950/1960`s?

What a lovely thread this is with so many memories. Thank you Bruce for your memories from across the pond.

Hello Everyone,
Just want to mention that late last summer my eldest son and I spent a week in Birmingham so I could take him around and show him the city where his grandfather was born and raised and where I spent so many happy days in my youth. The city has changed so much that we spent a lot of time going to visit places and things that aren't there anymore, including the Artistes Club.

I had booked a mid-week guided tour of Villa Park, and since we arrived early, I decided to take a walk up Trinity Road to find #47, its former location. It wasn't hard. There, on the corner where the magnificent old building once stood, there is now a small food market and a modern private residence. I described to him how the building had looked, where the bar and entrance had been, and I took a picture of what the site looks like now. And I felt a touch of sadness, because another part of my past is gone, but I suppose nothing lasts forever.

As we walked back down Trinity Road toward Villa Park, I couldn't help but reminisce about all the times I'd made that trip with my father and grandfather, and now I'd made it with my son, although it wasn't quite the same. He'll never know what a very special place it was, but at least when he hears me talk about it, he'll have his own moment in time to connect with it.

hi cartwriter1....how lovely for you and son to take that trip down memory lane last year and i do understand how you must have felt...i feel the same everytime i go down the old end...my street is still there but all new houses now but there are still a few landmarks left and some other streets so all is not lost...all we have to do is close our eyes and nothing has changed...memories stay forever and cant be taken away from us...

lyn

He played most of the clubs around Birmingham in the 1950/1960`s. I am looking for a photograph in particular.

All I know is that he played most of the clubs around Birmingham BSA Kitts Green, Balsall Heath Institute, Hunters Moon Hodge Hill.

I remember the name of Bob Hatch, but cannot recall what he looked like, or if I worked with him, although I doubt it.

A comedian that I did work with, three or four times, was Don McLean. I remember that on one gig he brought his mother with him.

I think that he went a bit religious in his later years. Eddie

I remember the name of Bob Hatch, but cannot recall what he looked like, or if I worked with him, although I doubt it.

A comedian that I did work with, three or four times, was Don McLean. I remember that on one gig he brought his mother with him.

I think that he went a bit religious in his later years. Eddie

I remember he started his act talking very POSH then went into a real Brummie accent!

He played most of the clubs around Birmingham in the 1950/1960`s. I am looking for a photograph in particular.

I'm afraid photos back then are very hard to come by. Not like today when everyone with a cell phone (oops, sorry, I mean mobile phone. Apparently I also type with an American accent!) has a built-in camera at the ready. I've been desperately trying to find a picture of the old Artistes Club to show my son, so far to no avail. It was a different time, I suppose. We just took such things for granted and assumed they would always be there.

I did go through my old copies of the Club Herald searching for mention of Bob Hatch, but no luck I'm afraid. Then again, they were from the late 60s & early 70s. If he played the Midland social club circuit, however, I'm quite certain my grandad would've known him. As the editor, he knew everybody.

I'm afraid photos back then are very hard to come by. Not like today when everyone with a cell phone (oops, sorry, I mean mobile phone. Apparently I also type with an American accent!) has a built-in camera at the ready. I've been desperately trying to find a picture of the old Artistes Club to show my son, so far to no avail. It was a different time, I suppose. We just took such things for granted and assumed they would always be there.

I did go through my old copies of the Club Herald searching for mention of Bob Hatch, but no luck I'm afraid. Then again, they were from the late 60s & early 70s. If he played the Midland social club circuit, however, I'm quite certain my grandad would've known him. As the editor, he knew everybody.

Ahh thanks so much for looking.....I will keep trying

I started in showbiz with the Tony Romano Ladies Accordion Band in the mid 1940's which was unpaid & all profits for 'charity'. We met and rehearsed in the Chapel Tavern, Great Charles Street, and played at venues like the Birmingham Parks. Tony Romano had a wife called Kitty Broadhurst, who used to do a solo act of Florrie Forde - big hat, feathers and all !! The band also had a resident singer called Marion - "The Canadian Nightingale". Marion also worked the Clubs and poffered to introduce me as a guest act on shows with her.

I was taught the accorion by Phillip Tamburro who had a shop and accordion workshop in Dale End. He had two sons, Johnny and Phillip (Stage name "Phillipo") who played at concerts aroud the midlands and died at an early age of Brights Disease. I also had lessons from another great accordionist, Tommy O'Hara.

I about 1948 I joined The Midland Entertainers Association (MEA) which held meetings at The Crown, Snow Hill, on a Sunday Lunchtime in an upstairs room where entertainment secretaries looking to nook new acts or indeed, re-book older acts. At the same time I joined The Birmingham & District Variety Artists Association (BDVAA) which met in Dale End. At some time between 1948 and 1952, BDVAA moved to Trinity Road, Aston, in a large old house with 2 or 3 meeting rooms and a concert room at the back which was used for auditions. We went to meet En-Secs and hopefully take a booking at Sunday Lunchtimes and one night in the week.

The shows that we did were spread over an area as far afield as Northampton, Corby, Wolverhampton, Stafford,
Broadway and Leicester. each one being done there and back the same night, in my case carrying an accordion and two cases, on various buses or trains, hopefully lucky enough to get the first of the Late Buses and then a long walk back home. One night after a show in Northampton,we missed the train and had to wait for the early morning 'Milk Train' so we spent our time doing a show for other people in the waiting room. This was all at a time when we had no cars. From about 1954 we bought a car as did some other artists and we would find out who was on the same show and share. I remember doing a show at Wolverhampton with a Vent called Johnny Burnard and aTenor named Will Scotton - at the end of the show, Johnny asked my husband Bob, if he would drive us all home in his nold A40 van - when Bob climbed in he had to tie a length of string attached to the passdenger door to the Drivers door to stop them flying open! Things are vastly different now arn't they? There was a monthly paper run by a man called Claude Bennett called "The Club Herald" where artists advertised their acts.

In 1954 I started to get work from a Black Country Agent called Albert Millward and formed a double act withj a zylophonist named Pauline Joy bu this broke up in September the following year nwhen I refused to accept a booking at Malvern Wintergardens on the night before my wedding.

Shortly after that, we moved to Coventry and took a lot of work from a Pro Agent called Tony Cahill which brought a lot more (and better paid) long distance work like along weekend in Hull (before there were any motorways) - two shows Friday Night, Saturday Night & Sunday Night with one on Sunday Lunchtime and the driving back to Coventry arriving home at about 4 o'clock am and back at our days jobs at 08.30 !!

Artists names that I worked with come to mind: Larry Grayson (originally Billy Brean), Betty Driver, Joan Rhodes,
reckoned to have the longest legs in showbiz and used to bend iron barfs, break nails and tear large telephone directories in half, Shirly & David a singing duet, Johnny Silver finished at the Windmill Theatre, Blanche & Bobby Dorraine - Soubrette & Fiddle, Len Stanley - a remake of Max Miller, Jack Lilly Comedian, Freddie Atkins & his Sister, Sally Leslie both solo Vent acts, Jack Cadwakader, Bernard Cutler, Bill Pemberton and Bill Woodward all classic accompanists, Dennis Hacket, Bob Hatch & George Ball - comedians, Arthur Knowles, Harry Gumbley, Fred Milner
Terry Russell and lots, lots more.

Thank you for reading

Jean Barry

Hi Jean
Loved reading your post....have you any photographs of Bob Hatch .....he was my brother-in-laws birth father!
kindest regards
June

Jean,
I have just read your story in #57. Many of the names you mention, I recall, but most of all I remember Johnny Tamburro. A fine accordion player, in spite of being small, with spinal problems.

You mention 'Agents', which brings me to asking the question: What happened to Billy Forrest? He had an office in John Bright Street.

Eddie

Jean,

As you will be aware, in the 1940's & 50's, accordions were the biggest selling single musical instrument in most music shops. We had a slight rise in trumpet sales, due to Eddie Calvert's 'Oh, Mine Papa', and before the guitar craze commenced.

At Kay Westworths Music Shop, (Moor Street, Snow Hill, Cannon Street), we sold a range of accordions, including Cruccianelli. Scandalli, Paulo Soprani, Hohner & Ranco. Sorry if I have got the spellings wrong.

One day a man, around 50 years old, obviously a brick layer, and covered in brick dust, walked into the shop at around 5.15 pm on a Friday evening.....we closed at 5.30,,,,,,.wanting to buy an accordion. I took him to the large display that we had, and asked him which one. He chose a beautiful red pearl 120 bass Scandalli accordion, the most expensive one on display, at around £125. A lot of money in those early days. He asked me if he could try it out. I was a little apprehensive, but I found him a chair, placed some newspaper across him, not wishing to get brick dust on the bellows etcetera. He tried it out, was not very good, but appeared to be very happy with it.

He said "I'll take it". Taken back a little, I hesitantly asked him whether he wanted to leave a deposit, or wanted it on hire purchase.

"No, I will pay cash". He then pulled out a roll of notes and paid for the accordion, leaving the shop very happy.......and Mr Westworth!

The following day, Saturday, a man around 25 years of age walked into the shop, and bought a Hohner accordion at around £50. After the sale, he said, "My dad bought an accordion here last evening, and said that we had treated him very well". He also said that his dad had been in three music shops prior to our shop, and they all turned him away, when he asked if he could try an accordion.

I learned a great lesson in life from that sale. NEVER JUDGE PEOPLE BY THEIR LOOKS.

Eddie

My father was a black country comedian mentioned on page 2 ie George Ball. I have several photos of dad which I will post once I have sorted the out.
Roy Ball

Back