• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Tavern, Aston Hall Road

M

mazbeth

I used to go to the Aston Tavern about '76/'77 with my then boyfriend, John Tubb who lived near there in Heanor Croft.

all the money they waste ,while our history crumbles in front of us,they wouldnt leave this next to the mailbox would they

Attachments

• Aston Tavern.jpg
    Aston Tavern.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 41
They used to do a roaring trade on Fair nights being so close to the Srepintine, what a shame all our old pubs are either haveing a name change or are as this one just left to rot.
Its amazing how many accidentaly burn down,then a new suppermarket arives on the site.
As some one who spent over 30 years of his working life in that area I weep to see how it is now.
ASTON

Those outdoor advertising billboards should be banned. They got a good foothold in Birmingham following WW2 and they served a very useful purpose in covering up the bomb sites. Why is it necessary to put three huge billboards at the back of The Aston Tavern is beyond me. The companies do it because they can. I am not sure who owns the building and the land but they are getting quite a bit for sign rental for those billboards. The whole thing looks ...well, adjectives fail me in this instance....suppose it would be boarding on foul
language but that's what sights like this make me feel like uttering.

I think that what is more monstrous is that evil expressway bridge that destroyed or disfigured the whole district, but I hate motorways, especially urban ones.
Peter

The sister of a friend of my ex husbands had her wedding reception there in about 1954/55, she married a US serviceman and and a lot of his service mates were guests, and then The Platters arrived and entertained us for a couple of hours. We had a great evening, but even then the pub didn't impress me, rather drab and dusty. I think that was the only time I ever went in there.

Yes peter I agree, that motorway helped distroy a lot of Aston's history, there a gate post to Aston Hall in the grounds of the Old Vicarage just over the road from the Aston Tavern.

image.png
Replacement image 9/4/16
image may vary from original

Last edited by a moderator:
I've spent many a happy hour in The Aston Tavern, i think the last gaffers name was Brian Hawthorn, a very likeable lad, and i'm pretty sure i remember the name John Tubb too :)

The Aston Tavern how great!! ok so i'm trying to remember here but it was run by a Brian and Margaret Hawthorne early to mid eightees My Mom and Stepdad lived in the flat above and was often left in charge to run it. Dorothy and Frank Perks was the name and I had many a great time in this pub! some of the nights entertainments were (free and easy with Kev on the organ) Fri nights...sunday (Dave Daimond) oh happy days! don't forget the miserable Dobermann Meg that bit everyone (I had her son Ben) loads of characters Bottle up Jerry, Derek Best, Bill the ghost from Aston Hall, lol would love to see pictures if anyone has them? oh yes and the weekends clearing up glass after the match!

I remember the Aston Tavern as we lived in Aston Hall Road and later Lichfield road.

I remember a band that played in there for an anniversary I think it was it one bank holiday in June or July of 1980, I think they were from Scotland and the bassist was called Daniel Mclaughlin. Does anyone remember the name of the group or what ever happened to them?

Fiona

i used to live just down the road from the aston tavern as a lad the old black and white houses the brewery over the road atkinsons then changed to m & b i remember mr mrs foster were the publicians when i was in aston

I used to walk my girl-friend down to Aston Station so she could get the train home to Sutton Coldfield, and we'd usually have a quick drinkie at the Aston Tavern - never the most up-market pub, but a good 'un all the same.

Can someone tell me why I can't open "Attached Thumbnails"?

Big Gee

used to go in here with my cousin [who lived in Witton] in 1975, and got known as 'the Barley Wine Queen'
I don't know why as I hated the taste
I was only 16, and rather liked a young man nicknamed 'Polly' [for some reason*], who I remember got rushed to hospital from there one night with alcoholic poisoning :shocked:
*might have been his very long blond hair..well it was the 70's :)

I remember the Tenant Brian and his wife Margaret I think they were the last couple to run the Pub, or close to it there during the late 70's up until the early 90's. Not keen on Brian he was a Londoner and a bit of a spiv I always thought. You know the type thought he was a wheeler dealer type, used to deal in antiques etc. One of his stories he used to tell when we were having afters was that he once owned a brown bear which loved apples. He was driving along Soho Road with the bear in a car (I think he ran a pub on Soho road) and the bear started to rip the car apart looking for apples. He said he had to stop outside a grocers shop that had apples on display on the street and grab a tray of apples and throw them into the back of the car to stop the bear destroying the car.

No idea if this story was true, as I said not my sort of bloke, typical Londoner but he always give us the afters so he can't have been all bad !!!!. Left there on many a weekend night at about 3.00am !

Photos I took of the Aston Tavern back in January 2010. It was in a bad state when I saw it.

Is right next to the Aston Expressway, behind the Church of St Peter & St Paul.

Aston Tavern - derelict pub on Aston Hall Road in Aston by ell brown, on Flickr

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/271566

Its so sad to see it like this always went in for a good pint just before kick off.
Perhaps Randy Lerner could revive it again as its so near to the Villa ground as the Holte looks great now inside and out.
Another pub I used to frequent was the Brittania, as any-one taken any photo's of this great pub (just in case) the inside is grand with all the workmanship that went into it especially the tileing. They always used to allow away fans to drink upstairs in there unlike today when you have to drink miles from the ground. Any-one know the history of these great pubs?

I am presuming that the Tavern was once known as the Aston Cross Tavern? Here is an entry in the Showell's Dictionary of Birmingham 1885...

Aston Cross Tavern was opened as a licensed house and tea gardens in 1775, the first landlord, Mr Barron, dying in 1792, his widow keeping it until her death in 1817. Of late years it has been a favourite resort of all classes of athletes, though from being so closely built to it has lost much of the attraction which drew our grandfathers to its shady arbours when on country pleasure bent. The park wall extended to the corner of and along the side of Park Lane, opposite the tavern.

If it was not it is still an interesting piece! All the best Peter

Peter this pub is still there but is next to Aston Churchyard. It is all boarded up still. It is on the corner of Aston Hall Road. Been to many a good party and wedding upstairs there. Cheers. Jean.

Back