• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Tavern, Aston Hall Road

Aston Tavern Tea Room.jpg Looks interesting, will definitely be giving this a look.

So what are we getting here, tea rooms or are they reopening as a pub, because I do not think for one moment a just tea room
Will not take off a no brainer here possible the pub will take off knowing the area of today
But I will give it a fly bye just to be nosey and give my eye a cast over plus I can pop into the church of Aston parish
Where I spent a lot of my time growing up and giving in more ways than none plus singing in the choir for many years
And standing on parade with the the life. Bouys,,,and the rest of the days with the waricks girl guides boys brigade and rest of naval
On poppy days every years it will be a Tripp down memory plane for me
Best wishes Alan,,,,Astonian,,,,,,

Yes looks very good but like Alan says, is it just tea rooms and/or a pub? If people are confused about what it is, that doesn't bode well. Customers need to be clear about its purpose. Maybe their advertising makes it clearer. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

the aston tavern is very much a pub and i would think it gets packed on villa match days...the victorian tea room must be an added attraction and what a good idea...hope they do well..the owner of the pub is a member of the forum and if she spots this thread may give us a bit more info..

lyn

That's good Lyn. And it makes sense as an addition, attracting additional people as well as pub regulars. Looks nicely refurbed too. Wish them luck with their new tearoom venture. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Happy Birthday Astoness I have just started back on my OWEN family research and have been trying for ages to find out more information on the ASTON TAVERN. My 2 x Gt Grandfather THOMAS OWEN was Landlord there. I see that Mikejee has information on the Landlords. Thomas Owen 1863 - 1870...I wonder why the licence was taken away. Anyway... according to the information that you have the Aston Tavern was re-built in 1891... which is exactly what I have been trying to find out. I have two photographs of the Tavern the pre 1891 off this History Forum and the the rebuild (cannot remember where that photo came from). The old photo is already printed out and I have been trying to copy the one that you have posted with no success. How can I copy and save to my files please?
I have always know about the Owen family connection with the Aston Tavern and that the 4 pewter mugs that I have came from the Aston Tavern. I have 3 mugs and another mug with a small pouring lip on the side and all have HALF PINT stamped on the body of them....so probably some kind of measure? Georgie

Hello Michelle... just sent a message to Astoness regarding ASTON TAVERN.. because I would like to copy the very old photograph she has of the Tavern. My 2 x Gt. Grandfather was Thomas Owen who was landlord 1863-1870... I have always know about the Owen family connection with the Aston Tavern and was told that the 4 pewter mugs that I have came from the Aston Tavern. There are 3 mugs and another mug with a small pouring lip on the side and all have HALF PINT stamped on the body of them....so probably some kind of measure? Good luck with the renovations. Georgie

Georgie
The following from the Birmingham post 16.9.1869 explains the reason

B_Post2C162C92C1869.jpg

Happy Birthday Astoness I have just started back on my OWEN family research and have been trying for ages to find out more information on the ASTON TAVERN. My 2 x Gt Grandfather THOMAS OWEN was Landlord there. I see that Mikejee has information on the Landlords. Thomas Owen 1863 - 1870...I wonder why the licence was taken away. Anyway... according to the information that you have the Aston Tavern was re-built in 1891... which is exactly what I have been trying to find out. I have two photographs of the Tavern the pre 1891 off this History Forum and the the rebuild (cannot remember where that photo came from). The old photo is already printed out and I have been trying to copy the one that you have posted with no success. How can I copy and save to my files please?
I have always know about the Owen family connection with the Aston Tavern and that the 4 pewter mugs that I have came from the Aston Tavern. I have 3 mugs and another mug with a small pouring lip on the side and all have HALF PINT stamped on the body of them....so probably some kind of measure? Georgie

hi georgie and thank you...ive had a great day..its great to have another member on here whos rellie ran this pub and you are so lucky to have those mugs as well...what a treasure...can you tell me which post number that photo is on that you cant seem to save to your files and i will take a look at it...ps i see that you also have an interest in heneage st...my 3x gt grandfather was there in 1841

lyn

Last edited:
cracking one here folks of aston tavern with the almshouses on the left

Attachments

• Aston Tavern.jpg
    Aston Tavern.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 34
Great photo Lyn. Didn't realise the Tavern was so close to the churchyard. This photo gives a good impression of Aston when it was a village with its church, pub, Holte Almshouses all clustered closely together. Viv.

Found a couple of old Aston Tavern photos Lyn. These show an earlier building (or the building before it was extended?). You get a better impression of Aston Village too. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

thanks viv..im a bit annoyed actually because a few months back i had a photo taken from aston tavern showing the almshouses...i was sure i had posted it on this thread and now i cant find it in my folders....will keep looking

lyn

I noticed yesterday that the building next to the Aston Tavern has now been completed so I hope that means increased custom and bodes well for the pub. I should hate to lose such a lovely building and they have made a wonderful job of the restoration. I keep meaning to go in for one of their afternoon teas. I expect it does well on match days (not for afternoon teas though) but I won't go then.

Anyway, I also noticed that the land to the left of the pub, adjoining the churchyard, has been cleared and looks ready for something to happen. There is a lot of development going on around there with 'Industrial Hubs' springing up all over the place. Just hope it's not too big a development which will overpower the church and pub. Also the houses behind what was the King Edward on Lichfield Road have been boarded up to make way for another industrial development so that landmark wasn't just demolished to make way for road-widening then?

I pass the Aston Tavern occasionally But I never know whether it's open or not. Always looks dark and unwelcoming.

sadley i have to agree with you froth...still looks to me as though its got the undercoat paint on in my opinion totally the wrong colour and texture of paint...not very inviting from the outside..dont know about the inside as i have not been drawn to having a look

lyn

Last edited:
I gather from the posts my old Doctors premises have gone (Dr's Morgan and Freshwater) ? A lovely white Georgian building nestling between the Tavern and the Church, what a shame. Mind you I am talking over 60 years ago ! Eric

yes eric long gone im afraid...i think there is a photo of that georgian building somewhere on the forum...it could have been me who posted it but ive posted that many i cant keep up..will try and find it tonight..

hi pen..if you do happen to fall into the pub:D do you think you could try and find out if the stone that was on the outside of the building has been restored and placed inside the pub please..this was promised by the new owners...thanks pen...lyn

aston tavern stone.jpg

I am always tempted to go in on match days/nights just to have a look but a drink would cost me £3 extra as this is what they charge the fans to get in.
Only £2 and I use that word loosely to go into the Aston Social Club So sometimes pop in there.

My sisters who know the owner/manager have given him a painting of the restored Pub I recently painted and which he liked. I too Aston Tavern 2015.jpg think the paint work looks like an undercoat ! are the colours supposed to represent the Villa's colours ? Eric

Eric, I think the colour is just fashionable and not connected to the Villa but you never know! I actually like it so I shall investigate. Love the picture!

Lyn, I'm on a mission and will report back to HQ a.s.a.p.

Hi Everyone,

Had to go to the library this morning so decided to pop in to the Aston Tavern for a coffee. We were the only two people in there today but it was really cosy and the coffee came in a cafetiere with old (but matching) china cups and saucers.

The pub opened for business in August 2014. The bar itself was transferred from the old King Edward on Lichfield Road and despite having to be ‘tweaked a little’ it looked really at home.

The owners weren’t on the premises but we had a lovely chat to the waitress who was most helpful and we felt extremely welcome. Although I had coffee this time I did notice that they served draught Aspall’s cider so will definitely be returning.

The car parking was a bit sparse but there was plenty of room to park in the road outside the church. There’s a lovely courtyard outside and the bar is furnished with leather wing chairs and squashy sofas. The first floor, which was previously a function room, is now 13 B & B bedrooms with bookings already made by the new firms at the rear of the pub. The second floor has been extended and partitioned to form a Bridal Suite and three self-contained apartments. They will be doing breakfast and meetings from 7am. Think I might give those a miss…

As far as the menu is concerned it looks good and although we didn’t have time to eat today we intend to go back with friends soon. They serve a breakfast menu all day, a varied lunch menu with pates, paninis, baguettes and jacket potatoes plus three hot dishes and a veggie chilli. Afternoon teas are served until 4pm and an alternative cream tea can be had for £5.95. Lots of desserts on the menu too plus a wide choice of hot drinks. (Sorry didn’t look at the beers on offer but will do next time no doubt).

While we were there they had a baby shower in one of the other rooms. Apparently, last year they held a Christmas Fair in the courtyard with stalls, Santa and grotto, etc. It wasn’t very well attended so I told them to let us know next time.

The pub is closed to the general public on match days and only Villa fans are allowed in. Although there is a charge of £2 this is redeemable against a pork baguette (if you get there early enough).

So, don’t drive past next time – give it a go.

On a final note – I loved the loo seats!

PS. Sorry the photos aren't top quality but it will give you an idea. The last one shows the development with the footpath going through what was the doctor's house I believe.

Attachments

• P3040192.JPG
    P3040192.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 35
  • P3040193.JPG
    P3040193.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 33
  • P3040194.JPG
    P3040194.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 32
  • P3040197.JPG
    P3040197.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 32
  • P3040198.JPG
    P3040198.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 32
On the 11 February 1928 during a storm a chimney blew down and fell on Frank GARRATY he died from his injuries his wife Lillian was injured.. Harry Lapidus was the land lord he was the brother in law of Frank.
Hi Dottie, have not been on here for years - Good to be back. Was this Frank the brother of Billy Garraty? Been trying work out if/which sister of Billy Garraty's ran the pub must be around the 1920's Rgds - Joe

Hi, just looking on a 2008 posting I made and reference by Astonian was made to the following:
Was That The ONE oN Aston Hall Rd
Where They Done The Pub Auctions
Ran By A Couple Named Dave , And Annie , ? ,
They Moved Around Alot Of Pubs
Best Wishes Astonian

Now I have no idea of the dates but Billy had a sister called Ann. I wonder if Eileen stayed with Annie as records on here show she was not the landlord. I have on Billy Garraty mass card reference made to the Ye Old Tavern, Aston Village and that was 1931 (see below). Now surely there was not another pub in Aston Village in 1931 with close to the same name?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Joe

Attachments

• Billy Garraty Mass Card.jpg
    Billy Garraty Mass Card.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 18
Hello jb007uk, I was born in 1930 just round the corner in Queens Rd, knew the name of all the pub's round there and there was only one Tavern and that was the Church Tavern in Aston Hall Road, almost opposite the old Vicarage, spent many a happy hour in there (the pub not the Vicarage) in the 50's with my Dad. Eric

PS to Post #80. Sorry Lyn, I forgot to add that I enquired about the stone but the young lady I spoke to appeared to know there was one but not what had happened to it. I think the intention is still to bring it indoors to display.

Feeling a tad deja vu Lady P. We need Lyn's tablet hunting expertise put to this one! Viv.

hi pen ( roving reporter):D thanks for your update...the plaque was taken down from the outside over 2 years ago when renovations started on the pub ..very strange that the lady you spoke to did not know where it was...the promise from the owners was that it would be placed inside the building..maybe it is but its tucked away in a little nook or cranny lol

lyn

Back