• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Swimming Club Water Polo

jayman

Brummie babby
300px-GB_Water_Polo_1912.jpg

The picture above on the right is the British 1912 Olympic Gold medal Water Polo team. Arthur Edwin Hill is fourth from the right on the back row and can be seen in the picture link on the left in 1905 he is seated second from the left.

The picture below was found on this site I would be interested in any information that anyone has about Aston Swimming Club as we are still playing water polo to this day

index.php

Goad you’ve started a thread about the Club. Can you tell us where it is based ? I’d be interested to know where the images were taken. Viv.

Goad you’ve started a thread about the Club. Can you tell us where it is based ? I’d be interested to know where the images were taken. Viv.[/QUOI

I think Aston played at Victoria Road baths in Aston which are now closed.Aston played for a while at Newtown baths and I think the swimming team also trained until they disbanded.Aston now play at Woodcock Street Baths on Aston University Campus.We do have an international swimmer Ken Williams who competed at Olympics and Empire games

The two photographs on the astonbrook web site did belong to me...I bought them off ebay a few years ago, for about £20 each.....but sold them on to a collector for a few pounds more a few months later, glad to say I made copies and had permission to post them ....

I thought you might like to see these fabulous Silver hallmarked Aston Swimming Club swimming and water polo medals I picked up recently. Looking to sell them on ebay once I find more information on them. They really are beauties. i wonder what the significance of the squirrel was?

Ralph.

Attachments

• Aston 1.jpg
    Aston 1.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 16
  • aston 4.jpg
    aston 4.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 15
I thought you might like to see these fabulous Silver hallmarked Aston Swimming Club swimming and water polo medals I picked up recently. Looking to sell them on ebay once I find more information on them. They really are beauties. i wonder what the significance of the squirrel was?

Ralph.
Sponsored by Ansells perhaps?.

NoddKD

Sponsored by Ansells perhaps?.

NoddKD
On doing a bit of digging I found out Ansells didn’t use the squirrel logo till the thirties when they bought another Aston brewery out, Holts. Holts logo was the red squirrel pre 1900’s onwards from what I can see. So more likely Holts could have helped with sponsorship of the club and pool. Or is the red squirrel possibly an emblem connected with Aston itself? This is all very interesting for this old bit from Northampton.

On doing a bit of digging I found out Ansells didn’t use the squirrel logo till the thirties when they bought another Aston brewery out, Holts. Holts logo was the red squirrel pre 1900’s onwards from what I can see. So more likely Holts could have helped with sponsorship of the club and pool. Or is the red squirrel possibly an emblem connected with Aston itself? This is all very interesting for this old bit from Northampton.
The red squirrel was on the emblem of Aston Manor as explained here from Wikipedia.

The squirrel is the crest of the arms of Aston Manor and is a rebus (the owners of Aston Manor were the Holte family and a squirrel's nest is called a holt). Because of this ancient connection between the squirrel and Aston, the animal also appears on the University mace and on the Chancellor's chain of office (the latter was originally the property of the Mayor of Aston Manor).

The red squirrel was on the emblem of Aston Manor as explained here from Wikipedia.

The squirrel is the crest of the arms of Aston Manor and is a rebus (the owners of Aston Manor were the Holte family and a squirrel's nest is called a holt). Because of this ancient connection between the squirrel and Aston, the animal also appears on the University mace and on the Chancellor's chain of office (the latter was originally the property of the Mayor of Aston Manor).
All great links for the area. Holte Hotel behind the Holte End at Villa Park.

Ralph.
Hi Ralph, I am the current President of Aston Swimming Club, nowadays we only play Water Polo, at Woodcock Street Baths, the squirrel was taken on by the club but its reference was to Ansells the brewery due to the son of the orginal owner, Joseph Ansell, being one of our past presidents

Ralph.

Hi Ralph, I am the current President of Aston Swimming Club, nowadays we only play Water Polo, at Woodcock Street Baths, the squirrel was taken on by the club but its reference was to Ansells the brewery due to the son of the orginal owner, Joseph Ansell, being one of our past presidents
Philip, welcome to the Forum, a really great place...........Enjoy!

Back