• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Summer Lane Market

C

Catkin

My Father had a market stall at Summer Lane Market,Just down from the house that jack built if i remember correctly, our stall was situated in the middle of the market, we sold shoe and boot laces, shoe brushes, shoe polish, collar studs, cotton, (black and white only) ribbon, buttons, lace, needles, wallets, cutlery, light bulbs, etc etc.
Each one of us children as we grew older had to go on a Saturday and Help. (Pocket Money) one of the stall holders was a sikh, he sold fabric for dresses and nets for windows, i thought he had stepped out of the Arabian Knights he was very handsome and i was an impressionable 13 year old. i was also fascinated by the way he would cut the cloth, one snip with the scissors and then tear getting it right every time. I loved the hustle and the bustle and remembered how friendly everyone was, each knowing the other by name. I seem to recall the stall next to us selling brocken biscuits, and there was a small cafe for people to go and have a cup of tea something to eat and a chat. then there was the shop lifters whom i would feel so sorry for wanting them to make a dash for it. Aston at that time was full of excitement for me with lots of people and lots of shops. happy happy happy days

Catkin, I remember the market well, it was actually in Newtown Row, next to the Post Office on the corner of Asylum Road. There was also a wallpaper stall, and a butchers stall on the right hand side of the entrance. I think there is a thread on this subject elsewhere on the forum from some time ago, perhaps someone will point us in the right direction.

I remember the market very well in Newtown Row. My mother loved mooching around markets all her life and as she worked around the corner at the Sun Cycle & Fittings at that time in the early to mid l950's she knew all the shops in Newtown Row and used to take me to the market on Saturday's sometimes.
I remember the place where you could sit down and have a drink. I never really liked orange drinks that were not fizzy and since the small bottles of pop were expensive I had to put up with the orange I remember. There was always lots going on in Newtown and I have happy memories of being there.

That's right Newtown Row and Asylum road, there was also a green grocers just up the road from the market lots of lovely fresh vegetables. it seems so much nicer when people can share your memories. thank you

i used to be sent there to lou the little jewish man who sold the stockings right on the left as you went in,the words 20denier american tan please for mom sounds just like she asked me yesterday,used to eat the crumbs on the broken biscuit stall much to the annoyance of the man.what a great memory that is,all it takes is someone to start the grey matter and it comes flooding back,i was always fascinated by those suspender thingys as a kid,MUCH LIKE NOWADAYS,NO CHANGE THERE THEN

you got your version i got mine (dont think i wanna go down that route oh dont know tho)

Would Aston market have been located in Summer lane opposite the Globe? Better still has anyone photo's of it please. Jean.

Jean Aston market was next butchers just above the post office just up from Asylum road there where shops and a penny arcade across from the Globe
there are a couple of photographs either side of the market on the Aston site

This an entry form my guest book on the Aston site (circa Sunday 09/15/2002 9:51:35am) she later got in touch and said he also had a stall in Aston market hall Newtown Row.
I'm just starting to put together my family tree. My family (Cuzicks) come out of Clifton Road, Aston. My grandfather James Cuzick was a China Dealer in the Bull Ring Market. My father Arthur was a boxer out of the Holte Club. If anyone has any information regarding my family please get in touch.

Back