• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston St Aston Road Lichfield Road pubs

Here's a map from 1889...

View attachment 150417

...Lancaster Street is still there but it has been widened where the Red Lion was and Brick Kiln St no longer exists either.

You've probably already seen it but there is a newspaper article about the incident in the Bham Daily Post 3 Sep 1873.
Thank you!! I had a rough idea where it was but that’s really helpful in pinning it down.

I have seen the newspaper article, it makes quite gruesome reading. I also have a photo (well, mug shot) of Benjamin courtesy of the West Midlands Police Museum, and have found details of several other convictions - he was certainly an unsavoury character.

checked my brick kiln st photos and thought i had found a pic of the red lion but it does not seem to fit the map posted :rolleyes:

lyn

checked my brick kiln st photos and thought i had found a pic of the red lion but it does not seem to fit the map posted :rolleyes:

lyn
Thank you very much for looking anyway, Lyn, really appreciated.

I’d be very interested if anyone has any photos from the period - my family lived round the area of Staniforth Street, Sheep Street, Balloon Street.

Jonny

I’ve now got a copy of Susannah’s death certificate (more gruesome reading) and she died, two weeks after the incident, at 11 Brick Kiln Street.

Thank you very much for looking anyway, Lyn, really appreciated.

I’d be very interested if anyone has any photos from the period - my family lived round the area of Staniforth Street, Sheep Street, Balloon Street.

Jonny

should be a couple of photos of staniforth and sheep st on the forum...will have a look for balloon st

lyn

got this one but it says henn st/balloon st so a tad confused also a map of balloon st which runs off sheep st

No 56 Henn Street - Balloon Street Birmingham 1875 Chamberlain Scheme.jpgballoon st map.jpg

Lyn
Henn St was the street that ballon st ends on that is unnamed on the map. I assume that the photo is at the junction of the two looking towards the dead end of Henn St

Lyn
Henn St was the street that ballon st ends on that is unnamed on the map. I assume that the photo is at the junction of the two looking towards the dead end of Henn St

thanks mike got me bearings now..mike could i have a map please showing the location of the red lion pub brick kiln st...thanks

lyn

thanks mike i cant see it but there look like a pub on the second left corner next to the newer building...i can make out a pubs lantern could this be the red lion...reason i ask is im not sure it fits the map

Gosta Green Aston St - Brick Kiln Lane .jpg

Lyn
The photo is taken from the other end of Brick kiln St, The arrow on the later c1937 map shows where the camera is approximately pointing. By this time the Red lion has gone

map c1937 showing Brick kiln st.jpg

The map was in reply to a request in the previous post for the position of the Red lion in brickiln st, and it is shown on the junction of that St and Lancaster st

Back