• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
Penns, from my spotting by the Camp Hill station bridge in Montpellier St in the late 50s -- early 60s, I seem to recall several Jubilees. One I especially remember was Kampala. So long ago I can't be certain it wasn't at New St.

But now I ponder it, Kampala may have been a Patriot.

Hi Ray,

I can't track down an LMS loco called Kampala.

Nearest matches 45662 Kempenfelt, 45588 Kashmir, and 45593 Kolhapur, all Jubilees
so you were probably right about it being a Jubilee.

Kind regards
Dave

I used to go to New St Station every evening on my way home from school to see what was pulling the 5.00 Glasgow train. Lots of "crates" but sometimes a "cop". Even saw a blackie pull it from time to time.
Dave A

Hi
I remember seeing Clan Buchanan pulling the 5 o'clock Glasgow into New Street.

The only Clan I ever saw!.

Kind regards
Dave

Don't ever remember an engine called Kampala.Just looked it up in the ABC shedbook there was Kashmir,Kolhapur,Kenya that's all the Ks

Hi
I remember seeing Clan Buchanan pulling the 5 o'clock Glasgow into New Street.

The only Clan I ever saw!.

Kind regards
Dave
I've been left Brum 60 years, I don't even recall 2 levels. I do remember the diversions, sitting on grassy banks overlooking the line, there were grassy banks on both sides something like a "cutting"or culvert, maybe this is what is being referred to. I do remember bunking in to Aston sheds and copping Clan Buchanan, Oh! the jubilation!!

This is what I posted in post #24 back in 2016
Dave A

Hi Ray,

I can't track down an LMS loco called Kampala.

Nearest matches 45662 Kempenfelt, 45588 Kashmir, and 45593 Kolhapur, all Jubilees
so you were probably right about it being a Jubilee.

Kind regards
Dave

I haven't been able to find Kampala in recent times either, Dave. I'd assumed it was scrapped before the publication of the 1961 Ian Allen combine I have but it's possible there was no such loco. It's a mystery, then, as to why I've been sure of that "Kampala" nameplate all these years. I can see it now on the side of the loco. But time plays tricks on the memory and I probably mis-remembered another name altogether.

Hi Ray,

I checked through a 1961 combined ref, and a 1955 LMS ref, and there were 2 less Jubilees in
1961, - Gilbert and Ellice Islands, and Malta GC, so if it was wrecked or lost, it would have to
be before 1955. The only other Jubilee missing from the complete sequence was 45637 Windward
Islands, which was wrecked in the early 1950s.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi Ray,

I checked through a 1961 combined ref, and a 1955 LMS ref, and there were 2 less Jubilees in
1961, - Gilbert and Ellice Islands, and Malta GC, so if it was wrecked or lost, it would have to
be before 1955. The only other Jubilee missing from the complete sequence was 45637 Windward

Kind regards
Dave

Never heard of jube called Campala but there is one called camperdown froms memory. Used to come through grassy banks often

Mike

The only other Jubilee missing from the complete sequence was 45637 Windward
45637 Windward Islands was destroyed in the Harrow and Wealdstone three train collision in October 1952,a disaster in which 112 people lost their lives...…...……...….Mal

Kolhapur I believe is at Tyseley.

Going slightly off thread, apologies, If anyone is interested here is a list of "Jubilee" names, and a little bit of information.

I haven't been able to find Kampala in recent times either, Dave. I'd assumed it was scrapped before the publication of the 1961 Ian Allen combine I have but it's possible there was no such loco. It's a mystery, then, as to why I've been sure of that "Kampala" nameplate all these years. I can see it now on the side of the loco. But time plays tricks on the memory and I probably mis-remembered another name altogether.
There was never an LMS Jubilee named Kampala or any other LMS engine. The engine you sore was probable, Eastern region class B1 61002 Impala. A block of them were named after Antelope and Deer. I saw it a few times in New Street and Rugby going over the Birdcage Bridge on a Saturday afternoon. Great memories.

Back