• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Road North

what a smashing photo pen..i am going to post it under the picture restoration section for you as it will be spotted easier there by our experts...if mike sees this maybe he can post you a map showing exactly where no 211 aston road north was..i always find it interesting to tie them down to a spot

lyn

Couldn't resist a bit of a fiddle to bring out the detail. Someone can probably do better. But for now .... Lovely, lovely photo. I bet they had a great big marble slab running across the window inside. It looks like a classy place to me. The dishes on brass arms in the window for presentation of fish look upper market. And look at the canaries in their cages. A very cared-for establishment.

Today around London the trendy oyster bars have a similar look. Viv..

image.jpeg

better effort than i could do viv:)...posted it under the restoration thread as a challenge for others

Thank you both. I hadn't thought about restoration, I suppose being sepia and 110 years old hasn't helped. I wonder if anyone will be able to decipher the notice on the door and the one on the window. I think the door one is for a circus. I've got an idea that the shop was near Pritchett Street but confirmation would be nice. Thanks again Lyn & Viv.

Slight correction Lady Pen. Aston road North does not go as high as 211. However Aston road does and Clifford's is at 211 in 1900 between Pritchett St and New John St. Position is shown in red on the map.

map c 1905 showing 211 Aston Road.jpg

What was the reason for dressing little boys in girls clothes ? It seemed quite common practice years ago. Eric

Not in the UK, but on some islands of Indonesia - and maybe elsewhere - boys are understood to have "a form of power" which the witch doctors home in on. Sorry girls you do not possess it so the witch doctors leave you ( or what appears to be a girl) alone. ;) No, I am not making this up.

The older, decorative scripts are not easy to decipher. I did wonder if the second word, on the window sticker, said pickles or pickled. However what is more easy to see ( I think) is that they sold malt vinegar for 1/- per gallon.

I've never understood the unisex outfits either Eric but the upper classes used to 'breech' boys at a certain age and it was a rite of passage as I understand it.
Thanks Mike, Uncle Arthur told me it was Aston Road North but it was a very long time ago! Where does that end and Aston Road start please? I also wonder why there's such a big space between the '2' and the two '11's'.
Now that Viv has done some work on it I thought the sticker in the middle of the shop window said something about Bingley Hall but I can't make out the first word. Now I'm not so sure.

Lyn, I'm not having much luck finding the tidy up thread as my search doesn't always search if you see what I mean. Thanks

If agree Lady P, I think the last word is 'Hall'. I was toying with the idea of the first word being Birmingham, but now you've mentioned Bingley Hall I think that is quite likely. The shop seems to have been amenable to advertising big events judging by the other posters (?) just visible either side of the window. Viv.

Would this factory have been near to Lady P's ancestors shop (see post #24 above) ? It's John Yates' Electro Plate Works on Aston Rd North/Pritchett (?Pritchard) Street. Gives a good idea of the surrounding streets and how works such as these dominated neighbourhoods. Viv.
image.jpeg

I did research this some time ago and the Yates lived in Nechells, one in Cattells Grove and another at 82 Vauxhall Road. One of the sons, James, became a famous pewter manufacturer and his stuff is still much sort after especially in America. James led me a fine dance when I was trying to find his burial place. He had lived in a large house, The Oaklands, in Golden Hillock Road Birmingham but I finally found him buried in Warstone Lane cemetery.

A nice story is that James and his wife were childless but they adopted a relatives child after her parents died. She was a Yates and she married a Yates cousin. When James died he included them in his will and they installed a stained glass window in St Michael's church in his memory. (They lived opposite to the church in Boldmere Road). The window depicted 'Moses in the Bullrushes' also an adopted child.

Attachments

• Pewter Tankard.jpg
    Pewter Tankard.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 3
thanks again ray for the boots corner of aston road and tthe corner of park lane and right next to boots car park and loading bay was jelfs again there fish and chip shop then there was a wide opening with gates that was there groceryhire and ware house provisins two story high with a dwelling and a huge work shop for there cars and vans and right next to that on the park lane still was there other coffe shop and directly facing that there was there other chippie but they sold it to little cyril blonde hair guy they eused to wave to each other and my old man ran it as well for them and my cousin barry phelps was there general manager for the shops and it was also a lodging house

So is "Pritchard" an earlier version of Pritchett Lyn ? Viv.

not confident enough to say yes to that one viv...i have only seen it called pritchett st from at least 1888..some checking needed i think although i have seen it mistakingly called pritchard st a few times in more recent times

lyn

From 1855 directory:
Yates Jolin B Co. edge tool manafacturers, 56, 57 & 58 Pritchitt street
Yates John & Sons, patent eleetro plate mnnufacturers of patent electro silver & albata spoons, forks etc. 56, 57 & 58 Pritchitt street
But Wests 1830 Warwickshire directory
Yates and Portway,coal merchants,Pritchett st. Wharf.
I think that when only some could read and write, spellings differed
:

thanks for clearing that up mike...i did think it was a wrong spelling..it happens

lyn

I did research this some time ago and the Yates lived in Nechells, one in Cattells Grove and another at 82 Vauxhall Road. One of the sons, James, became a famous pewter manufacturer and his stuff is still much sort after especially in America. James led me a fine dance when I was trying to find his burial place. He had lived in a large house, The Oaklands, in Golden Hillock Road Birmingham but I finally found him buried in Warstone Lane cemetery.

A nice story is that James and his wife were childless but they adopted a relatives child after her parents died. She was a Yates and she married a Yates cousin. When James died he included them in his will and they installed a stained glass window in St Michael's church in his memory. (They lived opposite to the church in Boldmere Road). The window depicted 'Moses in the Bullrushes' also an adopted child.
there was a yates in cattles grove when we lived there in the 50s

ok folks...when time permits i will try to post a few of these photos for you later on today...they really are litte treasures...to be honest i have had them for over a year now and thought i had posted some but obviously i have had a very senior moment :rolleyes: :grinning:

lyn

Back