• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Road North

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
Another bit of useless information, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle lived at 63 Aston Rd North, Aston, between 1878 & 1881.

Terry

taken today...arthur conan doyles blue plaque aston road north

lyn

Attachments

• various pics may 2016 026.JPG
    various pics may 2016 026.JPG
    448 KB · Views: 28
not a lot of people know that viv lol...here a shot taken from the building that the plaque is situated on...you can see the clock at aston cross

Attachments

• various pics may 2016 029.JPG
    various pics may 2016 029.JPG
    579.5 KB · Views: 32
Yes, Conan Doyle worked as a doctor in Aston while he was training to get his full qualification. One of the first surgeons in charge of the Thimble Lane dispensary ( a branch of the main city one) was reputed to be a friend of his. His name was David Holmes. It is more often accepted that the invented Holmes name came from another aquaintance, but I prefer this source

Struggling to place this 1937 image of Aston Road North, near the junction with Sutton Street. The road system has altered so much I can't see how it would have been close to Sutton Street. Viv.

image.jpeg

Where were the ATV studios?...Aston Rd North..Birmingham 6......have I remembered that correctly
Suze

Aston road north commenced from Aston cross from jelfs coffee rooms 1930sand the junction of rocky lane
And Aston cross with park lane oppersite on the other side of the junction
And lichfield road running across it towards the city
Lichfield road ended at the corner of rocky lane and the golden cross pub on the very corner
And there used to be a police officier in the central of the junction wearing a white coat
As i said the golden cross pub was the stopping point of lichfield road
Once you reached there and continued to walk on by crossing rocky lane continueing your walk
Thats when it was Aston road north basicly its a continued main road along lichfield road
Its there that the jelfs coffee rooms was and next door was the municaple bank later became the TSB bank
Folowed by the pawn shop and woolworths branch then the old aldeph picture house
Which when closed down became the ATV Studios and when it was a picture house prior to the studios
I got knocked down by a hit and run driver in 1953 right out side the flicks on a saturday
Afternoon
My caluation would be for the ATV Studios about 100 Yards from the corner of rocky lane
And my father worked the Golden cross pub and also done all the releifes for all those pubs on that stretch
Of lichfield road and right up to HP Sauce Factory
My mothers parents and family had the coffee shops a.ong and down around the area rocky lane
Nechells ,lichfield road aston road north as well ,they was every where plus the chippies
On park lane eventualy sold to little cyril
Best wishes Alan,,,, Astonian,,,

Viv
Freddys (to the right of the picture were at 64A Aston Road North so that would be Avenue Road on the left just by thta bollard

Attachments

• map c 1951 showing 64A Aston Road north.jpg
    map c 1951 showing 64A Aston Road north.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 318
Hi mike yes good memory,when i seen the bolly, i knew they was well
Past the ATV Studios but for love nor money i just could not click in my head excactly
Where it was that dammed bolly which was the corner by ST Mary,s Church and School
I truly beleive and when you got your school milk in the afternoon and yougot the cup of cocco
In the morning and your little bottle of milk in the afternoon,s
I was a milk monitor there at st marys school
Well done mike best wishes Alan Astonian,,,,

image.jpeg Thanks Mike. No surprise it was difficult to place Alan, almost nothing left in that view today. Viv

In my opinion the photo looks more like the 1950s than 1937. The cinema Astonian called the Adelphi was actually the Astoria before it became the ATV Studios. On the corner of Aston Road and Sutton Street was Thompsons a large greengrocer, almost diagonally across from St. Mary's Church.

I also used to take my son as a baby to Sutton Street Infant Welfare Centre, but later than the photo shown.

Yes sylvia,
I stand corrrected it was the astoria i should remembered my aunt maud from white house street
Aston by the albion i cannot see how i put another name of the picture house
And the fact i was a hit and run motor accident right out side the said picture house Astoria
1953/4 and the old man was running the golden cross pub on the corner
For mr Dodd and i have got a metal plate in my right leg because the bone comp.etely crushed
Which i have had all my life, so i could not forget could i ,? Mm

the avenue pub..aston road north..dated 1989

Attachments

• img222.jpg
    img222.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 92
Aston road north from St Mary's to Ansells

Attachments

• Aston Road North Aston 27-5-1954c.jpg
    Aston Road North Aston 27-5-1954c.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 92
Hi Vivienne
So pictures of Aston Road North about 1960.
Your picture is looking up towards Miller Street where the trams used to to turn into depot.
Some where on the forum is a picture of the sections after a bombing raid in the 1940's but I can't find it
I'll keeping looking through my pictures
Ray

Attachments

• Aston Rd North (2) 1968.jpg
    Aston Rd North (2) 1968.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Aston Road North (2).jpg
    Aston Road North (2).jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Aston road north (3).jpg
    Aston road north (3).jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 115