• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Pictures

It never ceases to amaze me the information now available. Thanks to astonbrook-through-astonmanor I have been able to identify exactly where (and why) an old family photo was taken. This family photo of my mum, elder brother and me was taken in Rocky Lane (I wish we had been able to afford a decent camera), it was taken around 1956 and it would have been our weekly Sunday visit to see my grandparents in Chattaway Street, Nechells. We always walked and never thought anything of it (never seemed to rain in those days either). JohnSunday visits.jpg rocky lane 1.jpg

Attachments

• rockylane 2.jpg
    rockylane 2.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 168
It never ceases to amaze me the information now available. Thanks to astonbrook-through-astonmanor I have been able to identify exactly where (and why) an old family photo was taken. This family photo of my mum, elder brother and me was taken in Rocky Lane (I wish we had been able to afford a decent camera), it was taken around 1956 and it would have been our weekly Sunday visit to see my grandparents in Chattaway Street, Nechells. We always walked and never thought anything of it (never seemed to rain in those days either). JohnView attachment 126894 View attachment 126895
Never mind the camera, that is a great picture. Decked out in your Sunday best to see the grand-parents.

Aston Road North looking towards Aston Cross and Ansell's Brewery. Late '40s / 1950s?

28783540_1820941957940304_8219477972464793404_n.jpg
Photo must have been taken shortly after the last trams ran down Aston Road North. When was that?

I am sure this photo is posted here before. The markings in the road suggest that it was not long after the removal of the tram tracks which might date it as late 1953 or 1954. I am unable to recognise the centre advert; it looks an interesting one.

I've recently found this photograph of Allesley St and Bracebridge St at their junction with Aston Road. The photograph was taken from Dartmouth St. The decorating shop JC Bell & Co Ltd can be seen on the left with The White Hart pub on the right. I've no idea when the picture was taken but looking at the cars I'd say it was around the 1920s or 30s.

Allesley Street_Bracebridge St_The White Hart.jpg

hi I just found out I lived in 38 upper Sutton street about 1960s it had houses through an entry at the back. I was about 8-10

Hi
hi I just found out I lived in 38 upper Sutton street about 1960s it had houses through an entry at the back. I was about 8-10
Hi Donna,
I don't know if you realise but there is a photo showing No. 38. Have you seen the other photos on the thread Upper Sutton Street

Attachments

• upper-sutton-st-nos-44-38.jpg
    upper-sutton-st-nos-44-38.jpg
    984.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
hi John, I had seen this but wasn't sure it was my house, I think it may be the 3 storey one but not sure as I can't see the numbers.

I thought so, the alley led to two laundry sheds and two small gardens which were for the back 2 houses not for us, my mum had a row with the house behind as he shouted at us for going in his garden. 3 kids and no garden was tough.

Back