• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Pictures

Rocky Lane looking towards Park Lane, Aston.

28577083_2120025284894167_4856455770834731008_n.jpg

That is a very familiar view from the #8 inner circle bus. I always wanted to go to that billiard hall, but I was too young.
Dave A

I did Dave....quite often in the late 1960's...and I was under age as well....but the managers son was a friend of mine, it was a great place.....

Hi Barbeacon,, Many thanks for putting that picture up looking up the lane because that are my grand fathers and his grand fathers busines,s on the right hand of the picture just passing the chemistthe shops you see was th chippie shop and the black gates you see is there long bigg yard that goes right back with a two story ware houseng and a huge garge work shop and a dwelling house that was let to a family wher you see the advertsign that was there coffee house and boarding with residents above and downthe back at the yad was there provisisins ware house and the grocery hireand silver ware business they sold the chippi first and then the coffee shop they originaly had the chippie next dor to the billaird hall in the fortys but sold it to little cyril a blonde hair guy and on the subject my old man ran the billiard hall at some time in he forts period as he done al the reliefes of all the pubs around the golden cross as he rad that golden cross until he died march 30 1958 aged 42 years old he worked there at the age of 14 years thanks again astonian Alan;;;

great photo BB ..did not know there was a church along there well it looks like a church...does anyone know the name of it ?

lyn

I have no idea of the date of this photograph (no cars, late 19th century?) but it's still clearly Aston Cross even without the imposing facade Of Ansell's Brewery.
29694427_10214755524989023_5940656675980901470_n.jpg

great photo BB ..did not know there was a church along there well it looks like a church...does anyone know the name of it ?

lyn
Looking at this map Lyn, it's St Mary's Church (The Avenue pub can be seen in the photograph and on the map).
index.php

The photo in post 546 of Aston Road North must be after mid 1953 as that was when the trams ceased running there. The road surface clearly shows where the tram tracks were and I guess they were soon filled - by early 1954?

Post 546, Aston Cross, must be after 1906 as that is when the electric trams started operation. It looks around that era.
I believe Ansells re-development commenced in the mid 1930's but took some while to complete as WW2 slowed things a little.

Last edited:
nice one here of aston cross...ps caption is wrong the photo is taken on aston road not aston cross

lyn

Attachments

• aston cross 1.jpg
    aston cross 1.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
hi john thats exactly what i thought so i checked it out...its on aston road...so i will amend the caption and the post..the factory you can see is charles wade marked here on the map as the iron works

lyn

wade and son.jpg

Nice photo of 'my' tram Lyn, the 78. When I first looked at it I thought the 2 was overtaking the 78 and then I remembered that they went both ways and it was actually heading for Erdington. My only excuse is that I'm still waking up....

Last edited:
Lyn's post 555 shows trams 638 and 654. These were part of a batch of 25 cars built 1923/4 and all, apparently, survived until 1952/3 when the city withdrew the remaining tram routes.
They are both in the post 1946 livery which narrows things somewhat in time. However car 654 appears to be freshly painted - no adverts - so it may narrow it even further. There also is a poster affixed to an upper window, near the top of the staircase, which might be one detailing the closure of the Aston Road routes (1953). One thing the photo reminded me of was how high above peoples heads the car stop was often positioned; much higher than the BCT style bus stops.

Back