• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Pictures

Sherlock Lyn if you stand by the canal bridge next to the old council yard that's were 27 was

ahh there you are john..yes ive got it now lol...thank you again for your help with this one..i think the other unknown location will not be solved as there does not seem to be any clues..never mind at least we got one of them..

lyn

I do love that picture Lyn, especially as my 2 x gt.grandmother was living in Court 3 Newton Row in 1881. On checking the census for that year, it looks as though Court 3 was only about 6 houses from No.27 which makes the pic even more exciting for me.

oh thats brilliant judy and you have just bought to mind that i think one of my rellies was somewhere along newtown row...must get my papers out and have a look at them...

lyn

The Newtown Row photo is really interesting. The houses/shops look like they were almost past their sell by date
- Crossleys is pinned and the one next door has the main door bricked up. On Stitcher's photo there's a girl walking along the road on the left in a pristine apron. Looks almost out of place. I like the adverts on the building : Pay Day Tobacco! Mitchells Ales & Stouts (later M & B ?) and Austin's Starch Glaze. Viv.

Well done Lyn,it's amazing really,that wall has been knocked down within the last 12 months.Fortunately Google earth is not up to date,so it is still on there.MossNewtown Row 1.jpg

yes moss i know....in fact i think its less than 12 months...car park behind it now...

lyn

img336.jpg
It has been said that this childrens playground (photographed in 1956) on Burbury Street is the oldest purpose built childrens playground in the country, having opened in 1877. The land was presented by the late William Middlemore. He was the father of the late John Middlemore who founded the Middlemore Childrens Emigration Homes.

Played in Burbury Park for hours in the 60s and climbed on the bike shed roof in front of The Lucas building. Our Mom used to say " You autta bin a lad you ad, always climbing"

img487.jpg
The Aston University was built on this area, it is Moland Street in 1938.

Lovely picture. The policeman gives a sense of order and 'everything's under control'. Or is he just keeping an eye on the two characters hanging about on the other side of the road? Viv.

I don't know but it all looks a bit more acceptable that the street scenes of today.

Oh Yes viv;
i dare say he was keeping an eye on those characters probaly from down the lane lads ; [ summer ]
they knew the locals in those days and they knew whom was doing what in the area
and they was six feet tall and gave you a clipp around the ear ole ; would you say so ;and he would asked you to turn out yourpockets
to see what you was carrying , not like todays police force ; being told you are not allowed to stop and search ;
good old fashioned coppers is what we need today ; and the worse thing they ever done was to bring out the pand car
thats when they got laxy police officiers in those days they should have kept the old westminster car as the area car and not gave them all cars ;
those where the days ; all long gone aye ; astonian;;

img490.jpg
This chapel was in Park Road Aston, it was opened during the 1870s and was demolished in the 1950s.

Hi Ray, Last night I saw five image definitions here and would like to have downloaded the one of W H Perks, Corn Merchant at 41 Lozells Road, Aston for my father in law Arthur Perks (aged 97) To this end I enrolled to join Birmingham History and now that I have my log in details the pictures have gone. Can you do anything for me or should I contact the Administrators?
Regards, A.Robinson (I could provide my e mail address)

Stitcher, thank you for that picture of the church on park road, found out not too long ago l was christened there in jan 1936....l have put it in my archives....Brenda

Hi Stitcher,

Thankyou for the photo of Christchurch Baptist at Six Ways, Aston. I married ny good lady there on 25 March 1950. The best days work I ever did.

Old Boy

Hello Old Boy, I am glad to have ressurected some good memories for you.

Thanks Ray, Your response was so quick and the picture delightful, memories. My father in law will be over the moon, you will have made an old man very happy as they say. Having now found the site I will use it a lot, I only came across it by chance after I googled W H Perks, Corn Merchant With our family history based around Aston I will be using the site a lot, once I get used to it.
Regards, lambarman

Does anyone know the name of the fellow that owened London Fashion only I used to do a old ladies hair when I had the shop on the flat and he son used to bring her in and I am sure he owned that shop, I think he said he used to be a window dresser before he had the shop. I remember I recall her going to have her photo taken for an advert on a bill board for Singer sewing machines one of the days she came she was about 80 then a lovely lady and he was a proper gentleman I wish I could remember his name, just thought was it Bernard I think it was, there was another guy his partner that run it

llo.jpeg
I know I have posted this, or a similar one a longe time ago but I can not trace the post so I am putting it here.

Prior to the Grand Junction Railway in 1837, Aston was just a small village.

1.jpeg
I can't remember whether I posted this one before or after the hack attack.
It is of course the railway bridge in Aston Lane. 1933

Back