• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Pictures

img056.jpg

img060.jpg

I have no idea why I would save thes two photo's because I have no known connections or memories of the roads. The pictures are (top) 138-142 Church Street, and (bottom) is 55-56-57Barker Street. Both in Lozells and both from 1981. The houses in the bottom picture are from 1840.

just going back to the pic we are trying to find out the location of..here is the one stitcher posted and underneath one of aston brook st dated 1961..i wonder if they are one and the same..over to the experts

lyn

unknownastonpic.jpg

img649.jpg

Hello Lyn I have had a good look at this and I think it could be the bottom end of Summer Row it looks to run down hill to a fork in the road to the left would be the Parade leading onto the Sandpits (the tram route) to the right would be Newhall Hill leading to the Jewellery Quarter the road on the right would be Charlotte St.Dek

It was Summer Row, because the building on the right just past the tram/bus stop is the Shakespeare Inn on the corner of Lionel Street.

Phil

Attachments

• Hockley Summer Row Shakespeare Inn.jpg
    Hockley Summer Row Shakespeare Inn.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 63
hi phil and dek im getting confused again...are you saying that stitchers pic is of summer row then...

thanks dek..glad we got that one sorted..well i didnt but you know what i mean...

cheers..

The two pictures on post #427 don't look like the same location to me. Might be the same road but not the same location.

John

The tag I have on my photo says Aston Brook St 1951, so would it be the junction of Aston brook St and Aston Rd North?

Phil

yes. the place on the right was on the corner of aston brook st./miller st jnc. across the road by the chemist was herbert st. if i remember right

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. then picture #1 above 'Summer Row' must be a shot of the Saturday Bridge in the distance and the row angled off to the right at that point must be Fleet Street along the canal. This picture taken from about the junction of Lionel St. with Summer Row.

Ref.https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...id=10098&ox=325&oy=874&zm=1&czm=1&x=246&y=336

I don't know, the angle of the distant building does not look quite right to me but the actual street view photo can deceive. This is the only way I can interpret the curve in the tram tracks.

The pubs still there as are the buildings behind it. Gees I managed to post a photo. After all of this maybe you should have a meet-up there. Can't read the menu. Roast beef and yorkshire pud for me tonight...with a bottle of Thames Embankment.

Attachments

• Summer Row 1.jpg
    Summer Row 1.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 92
Back