• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Pictures

Thank you for the quick reply. I have found some great photo's of Church lane on another thread that include his house and his mum's old shop!! I will keep looking.

Hi Wallis
I have 4 of the lost church lane lost photo's, i will sort them out and post them for you.

Stars

Hi
Here is 3 of the lost photo's.

The first two are Church Lane 1969

img178_church_lane__aston_1969_2.jpg
img177_Church_Lane_aston_1969.jpg

The Queens Hotel at the junction of Church Lane and Queens Rd 1968

img145_queens_hotel__church_lane__aston_1968.jpg

Hope this helps you a bit Wallis. Regards stars

Thanks Stars, I have the top 2 pictures from another thread. The top picture of Powell's has my Dads old house in it (where the man is standing). The 2nd picture had his mums shop - B. Davies. The family also had a Haberdashery Shop on Church lane that I am looking for a photo of. Do you know the source of those 2 pictures so I could try to get a high res copy? Thanks again.

Hi Wallis
No sorry, as i said they was posted first by mambers, i only re-posted them.

Stars

Wow, they bring back memories, the georgian white building was my Doctors (Dr Morgan and Dr Drinkwater), the Tavern, the Queens Hotel and Avenue Hotel are pubs my Dad and I frequented many times , particularly the 'Queens'. I was born in Queens Rd in 1930 next door to Atkinson brewery in one of their houses, left 1935, returned to live with my Nan in 1943 when my Mum died (in Shirley). Aston Cross, Aston Station and Aston Park were all haunts of mine. Most of the above photos I had not seen before. Thanks for showing them. Eric

nn.jpeg

1953 and the actual Aston Brook is visible whilst the culvert is being repaired.

Fantastic; how often did I walk down that street without knowing what was under my feet. Something that had been there foe centuries

Yes Michael, we all get a surprise with some of the things that come to light on this forum.

michael this has always been one of my favourite pics of the high st...such a lot to take in..i only recently found out that the brook ran under paddington st where i was born...
lyn

Memories...lots of them from this scene. Watching the bottles go around at Ansell's Brewery and being studiously checked for cracks, etc. while the No.39 bus stopped right outside the windows. Arriving on the Cross to meet up with Mom who worked at Sun Cycles in Aston Brook and being knocked out with the special smells from the Brewery and HP Sauce.
Buying things from the Jewellery pawn shop just up from Rocky Lane. Working in Barclay's Bank for six weeks when home on an extended visit to Brum in 1972. Fascinating experience.
Lunch times spent in the excellent library next door to the Bank. I still have the list of the books I borrowed from there. Finally, the many many bus and tram rides going through there over the years.
Always great to see this pic.

I was born on the other side of Birmingham so I have no childhood memories of the Aston area but I was driving for a living by the time I was nineteen and I do have memories of the entire Birmingham area from then on.
When someone says a picture has bought back some memories it makes it very pleasing to have posted the picture.
stitcher.

Back