• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Pictures

Wow, they bring back memories, the georgian white building was my Doctors (Dr Morgan and Dr Drinkwater), the Tavern, the Queens Hotel and Avenue Hotel are pubs my Dad and I frequented many times , particularly the 'Queens'. I was born in Queens Rd in 1930 next door to Atkinson brewery in one of their houses, left 1935, returned to live with my Nan in 1943 when my Mum died (in Shirley). Aston Cross, Aston Station and Aston Park were all haunts of mine. Most of the above photos I had not seen before. Thanks for showing them. Eric

nn.jpeg

1953 and the actual Aston Brook is visible whilst the culvert is being repaired.

Fantastic; how often did I walk down that street without knowing what was under my feet. Something that had been there foe centuries

Yes Michael, we all get a surprise with some of the things that come to light on this forum.

michael this has always been one of my favourite pics of the high st...such a lot to take in..i only recently found out that the brook ran under paddington st where i was born...
lyn

Memories...lots of them from this scene. Watching the bottles go around at Ansell's Brewery and being studiously checked for cracks, etc. while the No.39 bus stopped right outside the windows. Arriving on the Cross to meet up with Mom who worked at Sun Cycles in Aston Brook and being knocked out with the special smells from the Brewery and HP Sauce.
Buying things from the Jewellery pawn shop just up from Rocky Lane. Working in Barclay's Bank for six weeks when home on an extended visit to Brum in 1972. Fascinating experience.
Lunch times spent in the excellent library next door to the Bank. I still have the list of the books I borrowed from there. Finally, the many many bus and tram rides going through there over the years.
Always great to see this pic.

I was born on the other side of Birmingham so I have no childhood memories of the Aston area but I was driving for a living by the time I was nineteen and I do have memories of the entire Birmingham area from then on.
When someone says a picture has bought back some memories it makes it very pleasing to have posted the picture.
stitcher.

img022.jpg

Outside 16 Webster Street in Aston, the premises of E. Wallin, timber merchant and building contractor. 1920s.

What a lovely photo Stitcher. I expect this road had changed beyond all recognition.Viv.

img019.jpg

img018.jpg

Two pictures of Aston Lower Grounds with the top one showing the the gardens and the pool in 1873. The bottom one shows a very large building which used to house the Holte Theatre, a menagerie and various other attractions. Sometime in the late 1890s the whole thing was taken over by Aston Villa Football Club and all traces of what is in the picture have been swept away.

hello - can't see some of these pictures from the last few pages. rays pics show links and lead to file not found error.
I've enjoyed the ones I can see - thanks,
Tom

re pic on previous post..im afraid it is not of summer lane as trams didnt run down there...would love a definate location on it if anyone knows...i think on the summer lane thread when i posted this pic some time back someone thought it could have been newtown row but it does not look like newtown row to me..
cheers

lyn

Last edited:
I would only ever argue a point if I know what I am talking about, on this I do not have a clue other than the message with the picture and the text says Summer Lane, 1949 and it points out the B.C. bus stop on the right. I hope someone will come up with the correct location.
stittcher

hi john...you being an expert on the area any ideas as to the location...ive got that pic myself and would love to put the right caption on it..

lyn.

I cant work out the question to the lastest photo but as the bus/tram stop shows TO CITY we are looking
at a outbound view .
ragga ...........

img023.jpg

Hello ragga this is the text with the picture, I used it when I posted the picture and one member tells us that trams never ran down Summer Lane and another member has pointed out that it is not a bus stop but a tram stop.
stitcher

Attachments

• img023.jpg
    img023.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 29
hi ragga like i said earlier according to info given on the summer lane thread when i posted the same pic trams did not run down the lane..i know they ran down gt hampton row and turned into new john st west...

lyn

There are TWO city transport stop signs. The circular sign at the top is a bus stop sign, coloured dark blue with white lettering.. Buses only stop there by request. The lower rectangular sign is indeed a tramcar stop sign which would be red with white lettering. All tramcars stop at it; when in service of course.

It just shows how fragile our history is, one a mistake is made it gets repeated and if it is not stopped it becomes the truth to newer generations.

This photo comes from a 1986 publication.

Phil

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 206
phil this is why its so important that we correct if we can any wrong captions...ive had dozens corrected since ive been posting pics..

lyn

Back