• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Pictures

Nice one mike, use to catch the No 8 just there on the way to my Aunts in Alum Rock & Small Heath when I was a lad.

Maz. Only just noticed those photos you posted. Great pictures. If you have any more, please post them. That was terrific.
thanks
yes, I will post some more soon - the ones I have in my Photobucket albums, but I need to visit my mom to sort through her old photos so I can scan them in to my computer as well.

It is the Shareholders on the corner of Park Lane/Potters Lane. Maz are you sure of the 1969 photo of Potters Hill with Millingtons shop on the corner? If my memory is correct that corner was bombed in the war, I never saw that shop although there was one a little further up, there was always a hoarding on the bomb site. Perhaps John Houghton can help us here.

Yes it is Park lane Potters Hill you can read the name plate on the wall above the shop the opposite corner was bombed see accompany picture in same thread

Hi Ray,
Sorry, can't open your link to your picture. I clicked on it .............!
Please ignore attached photo. Posted in error.

well, thanks for posting it, even if in error
have you got any idea what year that might be?
as we used to walk up there to collect my cousins for the park [as they lived in upper sutton st.]
doesn't look familiar to me
must have been later

P.S.
yes, Ray's post..no photos there

I really recommend Photobucket for pics
as they take up no server space as well, and so never have to be removed

Hi Yashima,
This is the only picture I know of, of St Mary's C of E Aston, in a photo of Avenue Road posted by Ray Griffiths under a Lozell Pictures thread. 'Course you might know I went all through the Aston Pictures thread (21 pages) before I tried the Lozells thread.
View attachment 45440

The church in picture is "Church of The Sacred Heart & St Margaret Mary" (Roman Catholic)
St Mary's is on the corner of Avenue road and Aston road north

Looking at the photo.Sylvia,it was taken by someone standing in the middle of Avenue Rd.
Over the road is Bob Walters,bought my first made to measure suit there.

I'm looing for pictures of shops on Aston Road, from Aston Brook Street going towards Aston Cross as far as Hockley Brook circa 1939/45. Starting with 'Goodmans' the Chemists to the 'Pet shop' alongside the brook, the cellars of these shops were sealed off from inside, connecting doorways knocked with blast walls ech side in the cellars and external steps built outside, one of the middle shops was 'Baines's' the bakers. the shelters were for the use of the public, my family were regular occupants. Don Clive

Don, I am a bit puzzled by your geography, I know Aston Brook Street towards Aston Cross, but where does Hockley Brook come into this area?

thanks Ray, especially for the photos of Park Lane and that part of Aston. I might see if I can put them on a disc to give to my mom

I have some that aren't on this thread, of old Aston, they are on other parts of the web - if they are posted elsewhere on this site I apologise in advance.

Woolworths around 1970
Woolworthsc1970.jpg

Victoria Road baths

VicRoadSBathsc1920s.jpg

Six Ways Aston [about 1850]

SixWaysAston1850approx.jpg

Six Ways baptist

sixwaysbaptist.jpg

Salford Park shelter about 1925

shelterSalfordPark1925.jpg

Potters Hill [1955]

POTTERSHILL55.jpg

Park Lane/Potters Hill

ParkLaneAstonatthejunctionwithPotte.jpg

Park Lane 1969
ParkLane1969.jpg

Aston Village 1868

AstonVillage1868.jpg
The door between Woolworth,s,and Hunts led to the rear of the jewellers,and was a pawn shop,spent many a time in there being served.Even though i was underaged,they new me as my mom,and dad used their facilities on a regular basis,also the pawn shop on Bracebridge Street was used often.
Somewhere down Bracebridge Street way i took old clothe,s in a pram to get a few bob. Cracking picture of Woolies,thanks.

The church in picture is "Church of The Sacred Heart & St Margaret Mary" (Roman Catholic). St Mary's is on the corner of Avenue road and Aston road north

Hi John,
What yo bin drinkin' mate?
The picture in question IS taken in Avenue Road, looking across Aston Road, up Sutton Street. The school buildings on the left ARE St Mary's C of E, ASTON (juniors classrooms) and the church you see on the corner IS St Mary's C of E, corner of Aston Road and Avenue Road.
Let me know the name on the bottle John and I'm sure I'll try some next time I'm over. Must be bloody good stuff! Maybe I'll buy you one in The Avenue pub which was on the corner across from the church! Probably gone a long time ago though? Or maybe some fruit from Thompson's on the opposite corner!

I'm looing for pictures of shops on Aston Road, from Aston Brook Street going towards Aston Cross as far as Hockley Brook circa 1939/45. Starting with 'Goodmans' the Chemists to the 'Pet shop' alongside the brook, the cellars of these shops were sealed off from inside, connecting doorways knocked with blast walls ech side in the cellars and external steps built outside, one of the middle shops was 'Baines's' the bakers. the shelters were for the use of the public, my family were regular occupants. Don Clive

Hello Don,
You're bringing back some memories now with Goodman's Chemist, Baines' Bread and Cakes and the Pet Shop next to Aston Brook. I used to climb over a wooden fence next to the pet shop and climb down a metal ladder to water level, then walk as far as I could without getting my feet wet.
(Sylvia, I think perhaps a "slip of the pen" on Don's part calling it Hockley Brook but it probably was the same brook anyway).
Don, thanks to people like Ray Griffiiths, who have posted so many great memory jerking photos, I think I could put together many of the shops/businesses from The Brook to The Cross. There will be some gaps and to disappoint you I don't have Baines', the pet shop and the paper shop on the other side of the Brook.

The door between Woolworth,s,and Hunts led to the rear of the jewellers,and was a pawn shop,spent many a time in there being served.Even though i was underaged,they new me as my mom,and dad used their facilities on a regular basis,also the pawn shop on Bracebridge Street was used often. Somewhere down Bracebridge Street way i took old clothe,s in a pram to get a few bob. Cracking picture of Woolies,thanks.

Hi Rod,
I used to live in that section of Bracebridge Street and many a time my mom went into Gertrude Fall's Pawn Shop, which was just down the street and on the opposite side of the opening was Ray Sketchley's Greengrocer's shop, near to the junction with Miller Street. I have been looking for photos of this part of the street. Do you have any?

Hi Rod,
I used to live in that section of Bracebridge Street and many a time my mom went into Gertrude Fall's Pawn Shop, which was just down the street and on the opposite side of the opening was Ray Sketchley's Greengrocer's shop, near to the junction with Miller Street. I have been looking for photos of this part of the street. Do you have any?
I,m very sorry to have to say no,i have no photo,s of my own from that time,in fact i can,t ever remember anyone in my family having a camera,nine children in the family,life was tough.
I remember being bought a pair of shoes for school(second hand of course) from Gertrude Falls shop,and a few years later having to go to the shop,which if i,m correct was then owned by an Indian family, to get Patna rice for my old boy.
Most of the errands i ran involved going down "the cross",or any number of the shops on Aston Road(both sides,the record shop now and then,i thought it was a magical place),until the whole area sadly fell apart,still lived in Hubert Street after the expressway was built,for a couple of years anyway,it seemed like our little corner of Aston had been overlooked/discarded.
I,m a lot older now,and a little wiser,but the whole bustling nature of Aston Road/North/Lichfield Road,and all the little streets off them were a joy to be part of,had a lot of sad,and bad times,but wandering round on my own,or with my siblings,or friends was something i miss to this day,hence the reason i,m browsing these forums i guess,
regards Rod.

There was Goodmans , the cake shop the petr shop, and Wilsons shop selling furniture. I know this as only yesterday my Dad and I were talking of this. His nan and Grandad lived above Wilsons for a time. Round the back and through a door were the 'brook boards' with Aston Brook or Hockley Brook running beneath. I will get Dad to reply to this thread tomorrow. By the way, I couldnt get that photo of Avenue Rd, can you repost please.
regards
Amanda

Hi Amanda,
Hope you get some good info from your dad! Should be very interesting!
The Avenue Road photo is on Post 312 (page 21).

Morning Amanda, yes it was always called 'Aston Brook' at that point, on the opposite side of the road, immediately above the brook was a cast iron "Gentlemens Convenience" complete with enamel 'Please adjust your dress before leaving' sign, which always puzzled me as a child -- 'Why a sign about dresses in a mans toilet?' also Amanda, my older sister had a friend who lived above one of those shops, and she was scared to 'walk the planks' to get to her door, especially when the brook was in flood. Don Clive

I particularly like the photo of Aston Village 1868. have not seen this before. If you look at the 1890 survey map you can pick eveything out even the angled wall that th man is leaning on. The almshouses look a bit delapidated in the old picture though even in 1868. Still even by then , they had been around a long time. Thankyou for posting Rod. The drawing of Six Ways seems a bit strange scale wise...the house on the corner is a bit small seemingly but it is a valuable view non the less.

Don my Dad thinks he may have been at school with you, in Mr Lewiss class, St Marys Aston Brook. Dad is Albert Millington.
regards the shops going from the brook round to Aston Brook St
on the right of the brook, was a cromium plating factory, fish shop and tobaconists and others up to the corner of Phillip St where was Vic Smiths the butchers.
Going the other way from the brook, the Corn Shop selling dog stuff pidgeon peas etc, Baines bread shop , a shop that sold all sorts including timber, Goodmans chemists, going round the corner was Wilson furntiture store that sold new and second hand furniture and where Dads Nan and Grandad lived above the shop for a time.
Now Aston Brook St, a cafe and tea shop, a woodyard, then houses that went up towards the Norton and Shelleys.
Dad lived in Chester St, the family lived all over Aston, Powell St Whitehouse St Aston Brook St, Catherine St . The war and bombing resulted in most of these moves.
Dads friends at school were Leslie Foster and Elijah.

On the right of the brook, was a cromium plating factory, fish shop and tobaconists and others up to the corner of Phillip St where was Vic Smiths the butchers.
Going the other way from the brook, the Corn Shop selling dog stuff pidgeon peas etc, Baines bread shop , a shop that sold all sorts including timber, Goodmans chemists, going round the corner was Wilson furntiture store that sold new and second hand furniture and where Dads Nan and Grandad lived above the shop for a time.
Now Aston Brook St, a cafe and tea shop, a woodyard, then houses that went up towards the Norton and Shelleys.
Dad lView attachment 45775ived in Chester St, the family lived all over Aston, Powell St Whitehouse St Aston Brook St, Catherine St . The war and bombing resulted in most of these moves.
Dads friends at school were Leslie Foster and Elijah.

Do these photos ring any bells for you?

View attachment 45774View attachment 45777 View attachment 45773 View attachment 45776 View attachment 45775

Not a toe, as a youngster I suffered with 'ingrowing toe nails' and had the nails on both 'big toes' removed three times, very painful! yes I do remember your dad, Albert and his friend Les Foster, Les was a tall lad, like me but he was very slim and I believe he lived in Whitehouse St, right opposite the 'infants' school? Does your dad remember Alan Fisher, he lived in Chester St, they were the only family in the area that had a car when we were at school. Don Clive

Hi 'A S Wood' (sorry to be so formal) I guess you must be Alberts daughter, I have posted a reply to your query "Don minus a toe?" but would love to send an e-mail to you and your dad but can't find the right way through this site (like your dad, I'm in my late 70's!) so if you cn conntact me I'll gladly reply. I lived in the 'bottom end' of Aston Brook St, and another school friend I have been trying to trace, who your dad must remember is Charlie Long, he lived with his mum and dad in a cottage IN Frank Knight's coal wharf in Chester St, at the bottom of Aston Brook St and alongside the Canal. Don Clive

Back