• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Park

The memories I have of Aston park was nearly every Sunday in the summer all the family would walk from bracebridge street to Aston cross then up the hill passing the brewery and hp factories,I knew the smell of the factories combined was bad enough in winter but on a very hot day the smell clogged your throat but I think everyone knew how famous that smell was all over Aston.!! We use to walk down a small road to enter the park it was a side entrance I think at the back of the park.There use to be a big open air swimming pool at the trinity rd side of the park it had two buildings by it one was a changing room I dont know what the other one was for I think it must of been built in the 60s as they had flat roofs and made of concrete.i dont know when they were knocked down it was abandoned for many years I think it was condemned because alot of kids got there feet cut from broken glass in the pool.also we use to go to the cafe at the side of Aston hall where they had a freezer where we could pick out our ice lollies (yes happy memories).

lovely memories sugar thanks for sharing them with us...i take it you lived in bracebridge st?? my aunt lived at no 71 so i remember it quite well

lyn

lovely memories sugar thanks for sharing them with us...i take it you lived in bracebridge st?? my aunt lived at no 71 so i remember it quite well

lyn
Yes we lived at 174 from 1955 to 1971yes and it was only when I joined this forum that I realised the bottom half where I lived was surrounded by factories .I know we had to move it was a compulsary purchase for progress I suppose .we did not mind cus we moved to a house with blow out heating which meant NO MORE SHOVELING COAL OUT FROM THE BACK GARDEN OR TRYING TO LIGHT THE FIRE ON A COLD MORNING!!!

lol sugar i didnt mind setting the coal fire out..us kids used to take it in turns...our paths may have crossed as you were living there during the same years as my aunt and we used to visit her a lot...have you seen the bracebridge street thread yet?...lot of old photos on it

lyn

lol sugar i didnt mind setting the coal fire out..us kids used to take it in turns...our paths may have crossed as you were living there during the same years as my aunt and we used to visit her a lot...have you seen the bracebridge street thread yet?...lot of old photos on it

lyn
Of course it was one of my first threads to see and thanks to everyone who supplies the photos a lot of work goes into giving us all the history so thanks AGAIN!!

I just perused the old prints of Aston Park (post 61). I spotted the Band of Hope mentioned in one of the prints. I have heard of, but never seen, the Band of Hope. Usually mention of the Band was a joke about a non alcohol drinker.
However they are still active it seems and in addition to alcohol they include drugs in their campaigns. An American group, of the same name, is concerned with slavery.

Back