• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Park

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
The park was my playground as a child. there was a gang of us children of a range of ages and we played together for all of my childhood.
One of the games we played was tracking, and if we could get hold of a stick of chalk we had endless hours of fun. One of us would set of at a pace and head off to the park marking arrows on walls and pavements, never in an obvious place and always at long intervals. When you set off from Witton Road there were five roads leading to the park, and any one of them could have been the tracking route, so we split up until we found the first arrow. The game was to find the leader. Sometimes it took us hours, we always aimed to end up near the Hall, so we had to get past the Parkies who were not too keen to let us past the lower part of the park.

The grass was always kept cut with 'keep off' notices everywhere, so of course we had to walk on it. The steps leading from the terraces were another temptation to us, the game was not to walk on the steps but balance on the concrete edgings.

Another game was hide and seek. When we got tired of playing around our own houses, or had been moved on by people who were fed up with us running up and down their entries we used the park. Near the bowling green there were huge Laurel hedges that were always clipped into shape with hollows in the middle; you could hide in there for ages without being found.

For a few years a marquee was put up and concerts were held in them. This was a real treat for us and we sat spell bound watching all the acts. There was alwasy a talent spotting contest, and my ambitions to go to Holywood were ended when my rendition of April Showers got me nowhere, it just embarrasssed my pals.

We rarelly had any money, but if by chance somebody had a couple of pennies we would all share a bottle of pop from the cafe.

We were not allowed into the Hall without an adult, so it held mysteries for us. We knew of the battle during the Civil War, and that you could still see the hole from the cannon ball. There were the stories of Dicks Garret too, but it was not until most of us were at work that we saw it all for ourselves.

In my teenage years I played tennis there, and after chuch on Sundays in the summer we gals showed our sophistication by going for a walk in the park. As a young mom I took my little son and pushed him on the swings and stood with him on the roundabout. His grannie used to take him in his pram and sit on a bench in the bowling green.

One day I'll go and walk aound again. I hope it hasn't changed too much.

Sadly the park is quickly becoming a neglected no-go area with burned out cars becoming the norm just recently,apart from Aston Hall that is!

John is right about the park how it as changed since you last went I still pop in now and again the are still things worth going there for if only to rekindle some of your memories I think you need to just take a look and remember it's all in the eye of the beholder I would not let any one keep me away after all said and done I regard it as part of me go on take a look and let us know what your views are

hi james ; i was one of those scruffy kids lineing up for it as well ; i may have even passed you the cup
it did last for years if you recal there was two of thenm one at the top of the hil by the back gardens and the big steps you came down at the back of the house ; astonian ;

yes i remember them well.most parks had them.the first one i had a drink from . was on the wall of st phillips church.in brum center.it had some words on it about,if you drink from this cup etc.

Yes I too remember that cup and the icy cold water that came out of that tap. Of course us young ladies used to scoop up the water with our hands to drink it!!!. I too wonder if it is still there or would health and safety not permit it?. Jean.

dylan thomas wrote
Eating bread from a newspaper
Drinking water from the chained cup
That the children filled with gravel
In the fountain basin where I sailed my ship
Slept at night in a dog kennel
But nobody chained him up.
The fountain is still there in the park . But the chained tin drinking cup is now long gone. i wonder if he went to aston park lol

Big Gee.
Had you have got gingivitis from it today you could have got yourself a no win no pay claim payout. I our day got a slap for being stupid enough to drink out of it.
James

Yep, I reckon I'd have been quids in, but we didn't think like that in 1954! What I did get was a right telling-off from Dr Rosenfield (corner of Bevington Road and Trinity Road) when mom took me to see about my bleeding gums and furred tongue. Gingivitis is horrible, and it took ages to clear up.

G

I also used the one in Aston Park,wasn't it close to "the witches hat"?.There was another one on Gosta Green.

hi ray ;
when i think back in time it must have been a regular thing that the parks deptment done as you say quite rightly yes there was one in st phillips church walk way ; and come to think of it ; there was one in the small sandy park at the top of heath stret park many years ago and that was around the
1958 ; they was a gorky chunkie metal grey cup with no handles on a heavvy chain ;
have a nice day every body eeven thou its wet best wishes astonian

hi james
yes i moved from aston very many years ago i moved to ladywood ; and then i moved to worcestershire
i left aston years before they ever thought of redevelopments of aston ; i used to sing in the choir at dyson hall and the aston parish church
and i was christened there and all my generations of my family tree also got married there through out ;
i have an older sistyer whom i havenot spoken to in thirty or fory years she used to take me to aston park ; and rock that wiches hat
other kids and girls used to shout back to her and some used to cry because of the way she rocked that witches hat
she lives in castle bromwich by the toby jug near on fifty years she as lived there and my sister inlaw lives in hodge hill ;
and as i have said y wife from nechells ; and i had alot of friends from nechells in the old days ; brian whills was one od them
ray cummings and alot on old long acre ; i could go on for hours about nechells but i have to shoot off to work now james speak again soon ; astonian ;;

I've placed a few images of the park into the above posts as all images were lost from this thread. The images may differ. If anyone has an image of the drinking fountain in the park, please do post it. Thanks.

Another charming image I came across was a PC of the 1911 Coronation celebration in the park. All the children are in groups with a specific dress theme. And they're all eagerly waiting fir their tea!!! Poor dears. Viv.

image.jpeg

I vaguely remember a large cast iron (I think !) Cup, at least 6 feet high just inside the main gate in 40/50's, I wonder what happened to that. They also had a 'parkie' who really kept the kids under control. I lived in Queens Road quite close to the park so was a regular visitor. Eric

Hi Eric,
Yes i do that recall that stand now you have mentionioned it it was about fifty yards in from the gates
And it was down on your right hand side as you was going in
There was a steel cup chained to it and it was a heavvy cup and chain bolted to it
In the brick work and all along on that side of the pathe i Recall them returfing it because it was a little patchie
And slightly wet through the bad drainage
I seem to recall two strict parkies within my younger days,as we played in the park
Virtualy every night after school one of my old school friend as a kid was a lad named Ian from Bracebridge street
By the pawn shop and the other one was ronald cruchley from upper thomas street next to old mr horton
The builders merchants on the corner of victoria road and upper thomas street
But yes two parkies firstly the one whom always stayed in the hut whatching over everybody
Playing on the witches hat and the sea saw but after they closed the hut down afew years later
They brought a guy in from the resovoir edgbastonand summerfield park
He was a big guy i think is name was Horiss he rode around on his Hercules police bike
Made at Aston he was the old Gaoler from digbeth police station my mother and family used to know him
If played on or near the crown green and he seen you by Aston Hall pathe on the rear side he would shout down to you andif you back chatted to him he would pedal like mad
I do beleive after moving him down to the Aston park from the resser and summerfield park
They brought a nice guy in to summerfield park by a man named mr burns he was a very nice man
He had time for the kids in the area and everybody showed him respect
Best wishes Alan,,,Astonian,,,,

The entrance to Aston Park looking very elegant. Wonder if it's the Head Park Keeper beneath the arches. Viv.

image.jpeg

Nice picture viv,
the old guy stopped in his steps , as said , Oh Dammit,
as he as just missed the old 39 bus again to get home probaly up to victoria road
or any road passing aston cross may be hollond road or beyound
May be he as just chased cheeky kids like we was playing on the green or even peter pan,
Alan,,Astonian,,,,

Interesting to know the date of that excellent post card Vivienne. Astonian, it may have been in the days of the 3X tram !! if it's pre 1950. It's obviously a black and white pic that has been hand tinted as was the custom before colour pics came into being. Eric

Interesting to know the date of that excellent post card Vivienne. Astonian, it may have been in the days of the 3X tram !! if it's pre 1950. It's obviously a black and white pic that has been hand tinted as was the custom before colour pics came into being. Eric
And it seems to have been very professionally done, superb work.

Back