• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Park

Balrog Patty said a while back about us getting together down the old end and maybe I should. Bobby B goes back twice a year to reunions and last time visited Holte road and Yew tree school. Jean.

I reckon you should..... I spend a lot of time around Aston, and yes its sad, its just not like it was but there are places where if you half close your eyes it doesnt take much to reverse time 40 or 50 years. A lot of the old streets around the ground are pretty much intact. My "Old End" Phillips Street has changed a lot but there you go.

Aston Hall ........ we dont have too long to wait before we can all go and see it again. Its also worth popping into Aston Parish Church, theyve always given us a friendly welcome when we have been in.

I think with myself Rod is that my mom lived there till she passed away eight years ago and I was her carer for the last three years of her life. We have driven down Witton Lane but never stopped and got out to have a walk round. We did a few years ago stop off for a drink in th Witton arms I think it's called and Pete bumped into someon who still lives down there. Jean.

GG Jean I recently went into Aston Hall by an invite through Aston Pride who I am involved with I am the technical adviser regarding Aston Walks which will be starting as soon as Aston Hall is opened, it would an ideal chance for you to get back to walk around Aston if you are interested you can get in touch and I will let you know where and when the walks are, if any one else is interested just let me know

Thanks John I will keep that in mind. I did reply to someone who wanted information about people who lived in the area but I am afraid I should have followed up and didn't. Jean.

Nice photo. I was born and bred in Aston and cannot remember a paddling pool in Aston park!! mind you that was 1930 and we left Aston in 1936 so it probably had not been installed by then. Is that Bevington Rd in the background ? Eric

quite correctly you must have left not knocking you but this pool was there during the early fifties and because of the lack of use in the mid fifies it was done away with
and in the early sixties they built it into a road dezign about the same size as the poll painted rds and crossing and the police used to learn kids the hioghway codes then before the green cross green man was about and how to be safe on the rds with your bike and cycling profficiecy but rest asured it was there in the early fifties
have a nice day best wishes astonian

having been brought up just up the road from Aston Park I can remember many times enjoying the paddling pool in the park during the 60's and early 70's. It was still there in the early 80's before we moved away from Aston but I don't think it was in use anymore.

Nice picture Topsyturvey,,, wish i still had some of our old similar ones,, sadly lost, too many moonlight flits,,lol

ps Topsyturvey,, you born in Ormond Street (not Ormand ) between Summer Lane & Newtown Row,
I know cuz i wuz born there too,, cheers JohnY

john, thanks for correcting my spelling.Coincidence you were born there to,I was only a toddler when we moved but not to far Paddington St. Shame we didn,t have many photographs taken as kids. Probably the scenery on the bomb pecks weren,t good enough.

hi john
just been reading your thread about the walks around aston when are these walks likely to happenen
i would really appreciate if you could contact me as well as our jean when its going as i would most certainly would not like to miss my remension days
and see just how much my beloved aston as changed from yester years i hope to hear from you other wise i will be very disopointed
best wishes astonian

I've just read in todays Birmingham Mail that admission charges are to be introduced for Birminghams stately homes and museums. It will cost £4.00 for an adult to tour Aston Hall, under 16's go free. I wonder if it will affect visitor numbers? That would of course have an knock on effect on sales in the shop and the restaurant.

Macca

Hi macca and john
john as you are involved with connectionions with this trust can you not get us forum member a concession
with a oap and forum badges to match after hall we are birminghams history society aint we especialy us atonians
born and bred virtuly in the grounds i recon us people specialy us on the forum must have showed patronage in the resturants by the thousands
of ponds we spent in there even with our pocket money as kids after all we was the poor side of souls not the ones from the rich countys
best wishes astonian

Back