• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Parish Church WW1 Memorial

I could have Janice...53 years before I had died :) I was the eldest solider to die .... I wonder who was ? Harry Webber aged 67..

Last edited:
Hello, and thanks for getting in touch. Do you have any more information about Bertrand than you've seen in the postings above? I don't have a definitive address for him in Aston, and if you do that would be exceptionally useful.
Ann
Sorry for the delay Ann....
I have found this online on an Eccles Memorial plaque photo and this information below....so he must have moved to Eccles from Birmingham.
Bertrand Wynne Moreton born Birmingham resident Eccles L/Corporal Manchester Regiment 1/6th Battalion Died 7/8/15
WG Helles Memorial
Age 24 son of Mrs Mary Elizabeth Moreton of 23 Clifton Rd Eccles
1911 same address , occupation Clerk
lisa

Sorry for the delay Ann....
I have found this online on an Eccles Memorial plaque photo and this information below....so he must have moved to Eccles from Birmingham.
Bertrand Wynne Moreton born Birmingham resident Eccles L/Corporal Manchester Regiment 1/6th Battalion Died 7/8/15
WG Helles Memorial
Age 24 son of Mrs Mary Elizabeth Moreton of 23 Clifton Rd Eccles
1911 same address , occupation Clerk
lisa
Dear Lisa
Sorry for the dealy in getting back to you. Thank you for the information. Using your info, I found the family in Pendleton, Lancs in 1901, He was definitely baptised in Aston, and found in 1891 census living 58 High Street, age 7 months. This seems too remote to add as an address in the Memorial Listing, but it looks to me as though his aunt and children were still living in Aston in 1911, so every likelihood that it was them that gave Bertrand's name to the Church.

I got this picture from a friend in Coventry , I am told it is of a Royal Warwicks Regiment before deployment to France in 1914.
I have no further information dates, names, etc .

Attachments

• E672112C-68FC-48D2-A8BD-324754ACF88B.jpeg
    E672112C-68FC-48D2-A8BD-324754ACF88B.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 18
Hi Ann,

Sorry, only just found this page. My Great Uncle was James Ernest Mogg, who lived at 11 Wainwright Street, Aston. He was killed on the 4th October 1917 and is listed on the memorial at Tyne Cott cemetry. I have his ”death penny”. hope this helps, Adam

Slight ammendment, James Mogg lived at 62 Wainwright St.
Good afternoon Adam, thanks for the information. Unfortunately, there is no J E Mogg on the Aston Parish Church memorial, only a H J Mogg. Many Aston men weren't listed on this particular Memorial because people wereaskedto submit names. My own great uncle who lived in Aston isn't listed either.
I will, though, add your great uncle's name to my general list of Aston men who died in WW1,and I'll let you know when I publish that list, but it is likley to be much latter in the year.
Thank you though for your interest.
Kind regards
Ann

Thanks for this, I will add him to my ever-lengthening list of Aston men to have died.
You might all be interested to know that a number of listings of Aston men who died in WW1 can be found at astonww1memorial.com . Thw work is ongoing.
Regards
Ann

Plese note

hi annie i think it was you i spoke to some months ago and you said you would have a look in the church for where william huttons tomb is...just wondered if you had chance to do this for me

lyn

Hi @AnnieH55,
I just discovered this thread. My great Uncle, Pvt. Leslie William Woodward (31330 Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry), was killed in 'France and Flanders' (precise details are not known) on 23rd August 1918. He was baptised at St Peter & St Paul on 23rd April 1899 and lived at 59, Porchester Street.
I assume that his parents did not respond to a request to have his name included on the memorial. I would very much appreciate it if you would consider including his name in your 'version 2' of the men who gave their lives in that conflict.
My father, who was born on 24th August 1920, was given the first name Leslie in his memory.
Attached is an image of the 'Dead man's penny' given to his parents George and Ann Sarah Woodward.

Attachments

• Dead Mans Penny.jpg
    Dead Mans Penny.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 4
Back