• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston - Miscellaneous Pictures

Witton Road. Checking on the 1946 Kelly I would say this bit is between Jardine Road and Nelson Road just by the Villa Ground
Missed this post until tonight, you are right Mike, the shops are the Outdoor on the corner of Nelson Road, Dave Brick, remember him!!, lived opposite, then Mouseleys Chemist, Miss Edward's Sweet Shop, in my day, Oliver's Newsagents, and just visable The ExRay.

Last edited:
I've also missed this post until tonight and can only say, although I went to Aston Grammar from 1944 until 1950 and took quite an interest in what was going on locally, I don't recall the accident to the boy on the corner of Park Road and Tower Road. I spent most lunch times exploring, and my parents took the Mail every night, so I would expect I would have noticed something. Sorry not to be able to help.
Peter

Witton Road. Checking on the 1946 Kelly I would say this bit is between Jardine Road and Nelson Road just by the Villa Ground

Michael,

I've only just seen your photo of Witton Road. I delivered papers for Oliver's when I was but a nipper - I can't remember the name of the manager of the shop in those days, but he was a right *****! I also used to fetch prescriptions for my gran from Mousley's Chemist - she would never use Buckingham's further up Witton Road because she thought they were too up-market for her!

Big Gee

Some of these may have been posted before. They are in no order; here are the first.
Elkington School 1956. Some of our members must be here. lets have there names please.
The whole photo shoot is fantastic Michael
well done what a find. regards dereklcg.

Can any one ADD LIGHT."Steam Engine's passing by ASTON HALL in 1851 as per this sketch.
Was it the start of the tram? or something to do with the GREAT EXABITION of 1851?
It looks all out of proportion showing the Parish Church were I would have thought the Holte would be?
ANY COMMENTS PLEASE?

Attachments

• ill15b[1].jpg
    ill15b[1].jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
whoops never noticed the date just interested the drawing if you notice Aston church is also in the wrong place as it's opposite the main entrance to Aston Hall this shows it to the right. I posted a train on the viaduct on a previous post which shows the church and hall in the right position

Have just spent over half an hour reading through this thread and found it fascinating. Was there also a 39A bus or is it just my imagination. Jean.

The tree lined avenue in #47 would have been the same run as Queens Road on the 1890 map and there is a branch of the railway at the end. The church seems to be in the right location. Distances and perspective may be a bit off though. In fact this picture and Johns seem to be from almost the same place.

Jean there was definitely a No.39 bus - terminus Witton Island. I used it every day when I worked at Atkinsons, and often when visiting my sister in Yew Tree Road, and my in-laws in Queens Road.

I used that bus more than any it was a short cut to town but wondered if there was also a 39a? Sylvia. Jean.

Jean I can't honestly remember, but on other routes the 'A' denoted either a shortened service or like the No.8 and No.11 whether it was anti-clockwise A or C - clockwise.

The 39 ran from Witton Island (stop was outside the old tram-shed, now the Transport Museum) to Dale End, if memory serves. My mother always preferred the 39 to go into Brum, because it was 'quieter' than the 5 or 7 buses from Witton Road. In fact, it was so 'quiet' that it was taken off ages ago. I do recall a 39A, but don't know the difference in its route.

Strange, but my gran always preferred the long walk up The Broadway to Birchfield Road to get the 29A or the 33 into Brum, and my dad being my dad would walk down to Witton Station to get the train!

Big Gee

Big Gee I remember the 39 bus being taken off and had forgot the 29. I didn't like the 5 as it seamed to go all the way round the Reakin. When I was a very young child I remember waiting for the 39 bus outside Aston church gates [the small one] and someone giving me a boiled sweet that I almost choked on. Mrs Wragg was there and I remember her turning me upside down by the ankles and thumping my back. All those years ago I can feel the panic when I couldn't breath. Jean. [Oh as you've gathered] I did live to tell the tale. Jean.

Jean,

Wow, what an experience! Something similar happened to me in a ladies' outfitters in Witton Road (can't remember the name of the shop) when I was with my gran, who just whacked me on the back making the sweet shoot across the floor. We were asked to leave!

My mother's prejudice against the No 5 and 7 buses was that they went down Alma Street and Summer Lane, and she was always worried about the 'type of person' who might board! My dear old mom was Aston born and bred (Bevington Road) yet she was so particular...some might even have said a snob, bless her. It goes without saying that she always travelled 'inside', as she was very much anti-smoking...

Big Gee

Great thread about the buses around the Witton area. Most people know my fears about the Bundy Clock beside the No.39 bus stop on Witton Circle or just beyond. I was often late getting the bus in the mornings and my fears started with the clock at the ICI and the bank at Six Ways Aston.
The ICI clock was sometimes wrong but the Bundy Clock wasn't!

It was always a toss up for me whether I should take the Outer Circle 11 from Marsh Hill School to Witton Circle and catch either the 5a or
the No.7 into town. If I was quite late going to school or work the 39 would always win out. However, I can remember being stuck in traffic
coming home at Six Ways Aston. The 5a bus would crawl up Alma Street for ages it seemed.

When I worked at New St Station I had a rail pass and thus avoided any
traffic jams. However, after getting off the train at Gravelly Hill Station I had to catch the 65 along Slade Road to Stockland Green or Dallas Road, one stop on and walk home from there.

Graham, the ladies outfitter on Witton Road was Em's.

What roundabout journeys you had Jennyann. The train didn't play any part of my childhood, we on;y ever used the railways for going on holiday. But when our first baby came along I used to take him to town in his push chair. I would push him down to Witton station and catch the train into New Street, it was so easy. There was no contest with picking up a push chair and baby and trying to get onto a bus and wheeling Steve and push chair onto the guards van.

Back