• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston - Miscellaneous Pictures

Big Gee were you anywhere near the music teacher at the top of Bevington road?. I had a friend by the name of Gillian Stringer?. Jean.

have you walked down here Jean

Attachments

• Aston Bevington Rd (2).JPG
    Aston Bevington Rd (2).JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
John so many times as a child going to my music lessons. Someone tried to abduct me when I was about 13 and I screamed and Mr Gough came running out and chased him up the road with his walking stick. The police never caught the man. If only I had a camera. Mr Gough was in his eighties at the time. Could he shift. Jean.

Big Gee were you anywhere near the music teacher at the top of Bevington road?. I had a friend by the name of Gillian Stringer?. Jean.

Hi Jean,

My grandparents lived between Trinity Road and Witton Road next door to Beebee's shop, so they were at the other end to the music teacher (who I can vaguely recall - I think my brother might have gone there).

Gillian Stringer doesn't ring any bells, sorry.

Big Gee

will sort some more out later

Attachments

• Bevington Rd.jpg
    Bevington Rd.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 17
Rod's neighbours

Hi John, great site, brought back many memories, I lived in Phillips St (No. 34) from my birth in 1949 until we were re-housed in about 1969 I think, however my Grandmother and Grandfather ran a greengrocers shop at the same address back in the 1920’s. (we had old greengrocer paraphernalia in our shed for years) I attach a photograph in case you would like to include it on the ‘Phillips St’ part of your site. The woman and man are my Grandparents (Johnson), she is holding my Aunt Mary and the young lad is my father Alfred Johnson. As Mary was born in Nov 1925, I think the photograph was probably taken in 1927 when my Dad would have been 11. I have compressed the file but I have the original scanned at 7mbts but a bit too big to send

I also found a photo I took some time around 1959 with my Dad’s box brownie, of my parents stood in Phillips St near our house, with the shops in Newtown Row in the background at the end of street. I have cropped this down to leave just the shops if it is of interest.

unable to replace personal photos,

the other one in Phillip street

unable to replace personal photos

same place a few years later

Attachments

• Aston Phillips Street 1967 .jpg
    Aston Phillips Street 1967 .jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 14
Albert road at the junction of Sutton street

Attachments

• Aston Albert Rd  Upper Sutton St.jpg
    Aston Albert Rd Upper Sutton St.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 15
Hi ya , the chap on the left with his arms behind his back is my father B.F.Mclean,we noticed this pic some years ago in an Alton Douglas book on Birmingham ( we think we was waiting on a date! ) :)))

Hello everyone especially Astonian. I'm looking for a photo of Astonian's favourite pub, The Victoria Hotel (Widow's). Anybody got one?
Cheers , Dave

Back