• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Manor pubs 1901

Diane Robinson

Brummie babby
Hi I'm trying to find the pub my gt gt grandmother worked in in 1901. I only have the census information and she lived as servant to a Albert Taylor who was a publican. Address was 31 William St Aston Manor. Tried to research that address as a pub, or not sure if that was a house address, anyone have any tips

No 31 William St was the Royal Victoria Cross pub. It's position is shown on the map below in red, on the corner of Gower St

map c 1917 showing royal victoria Cross pub at 31 william St.jpg

mike thats a new pub to me....diane i will see if i have a photo of it in my files...if so will post it for you

lyn

Thank you, would anyone know if the brewery would have photos of landlords/ bar staff from that era or where I might start searching

I've just fallen off my bar stool laughing. Sorry to be flippant, but you are asking for the nigh-on impossible. I collect pub photographs and sometimes a publican or barman might be stood outside but these are rare. Interior shots from a century ago are photographic gold.

I've just fallen off my bar stool laughing. Sorry to be flippant, but you are asking for the nigh-on impossible. I collect pub photographs and sometimes a publican or barman might be stood outside but these are rare. Interior shots from a century ago are photographic gold.
Excuse my ignorance I'm not sure what's available out there, but thank you

Excuse my ignorance I'm not sure what's available out there, but thank you

Hi Diane, sorry I didn't intend to be rude or anything. On the plus side, you have a photograph of the building - there are many, many [over a thousand] Birmingham pubs not seen on any image to date. Most brewery records are gone/lost - e.g. staff records, salary book, pensions etc.

Hi Diane, sorry I didn't intend to be rude or anything. On the plus side, you have a photograph of the building - there are many, many [over a thousand] Birmingham pubs not seen on any image to date. Most brewery records are gone/lost - e.g. staff records, salary book, pensions etc.
No problem, you're right I have a photo which is more than I started with

Back