• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston, Lozells & Witton Photos Reposted thanks to Ray Griffiths...

Re: Aston..lozells and witton pics reposted

Hi Judy - I put the wrong name for the pub, it should be the 'Aston Cross Tavern'. I've had a look through the 'Another Old Pub' thread but cannot see any mention of this pub.
oldmohawk
Hi just seen this post... the pub was called The Golden Cross....not Aston Cross....

Re: Aston..lozells and witton pics reposted

Was the Aston Tavern/O'Reillys the old Golden Cross pub?

Judy
Hi there... you are correct the pub was THE GOLDEN CROSS.. it was Never Aston cross pub..but because it was at aston cross people automatically called it that..and yes it did become ORieleys when a guy named warwick took it over and kim was the landlady..

I was also born in Aston in 1930, Queens Road, next door to Atkinsons Brewery, moved to Sheldon in 1935 then Shirley in 1939, then back to Queens Rd with our Nan when Mom died in 1943, I Ioved Aston then but not now. Eric
I was born at 71 Queens Rd 1952 we moved to Bordesley Green in the 1962 Mom wanted to go back to Aston we moved to 86 Queens Road in 1966 my Mom loved Old Aston

Johnny, yes you would probably remember our Nan (known as Nanny Cook) as she lived all her life at 84 Queens Rd 'till she died in 1960's, I was born opposite in 1930 at 1/89 just below Atkinsons Brewery, who I believe owned the houses. Eric

Re: Aston and lozells pic reposted...

oh lol big gee your dad didnt sound best pleased....i really do love posting images that will bring back the memories as lets face it its mostly all we have now but like i always say they cant be taken away from us can they..

judy im sure someone on here will be able to say for certain but i think GEC was in electric avenue or if not it was close by...

ive got about another 60 to post but will do them tomorrow as im now getting posters cramp lol..

lyn
I think the GEC was on Witton road.

Blews St, No, it was on Electric Avenue, it was where I first worked (in the drawing office) on leaving school in 1944. Eric

I took your advice and went back to page one, the more I look at the buildings the more I wonder that if instead of tearing down whole districts the council had modernised the houses there would be less of a shortage of homes.

I lived with the ma-in law in Potter's Hill for four years in the 50s and although the house needed modernising, needing a bathroom etc it was a good sound building that would have lasted for another century with proper maintenance.

I took your advice and went back to page one, the more I look at the buildings the more I wonder that if instead of tearing down whole districts the council had modernised the houses there would be less of a shortage of homes.

I lived with the ma-in law in Potter's Hill for four years in the 50s and although the house needed modernising, needing a bathroom etc it was a good sound building that would have lasted for another century with proper maintenance.

eric i could not agree with you more...been saying the same thing myself for years now..it would have made sense but as we all know the powers that be had no forward thinking with regards housing so they took the cheaper option of sticking 90 families or more in high rise prisons with no gardens for the children...i should know what that is like as i lived in one for 6 years on the 7th floor with my 4 young children...rant over

lyn

Last edited:
Am I right in assuming that Aston, Lozells and Witton still have a great deal of old houses?
I wonder how many were purchased during Thatcher's "Right to Buy."

Back