• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston, Lozells & Witton Photos Reposted thanks to Ray Griffiths...

Never thought of taking them to the Orient. We used to have them with peas, which was more like pea soup made from mushy peas. The whelks tasted great soaked in mushy peas. Co-incidentally, I spend the winters in St Simons Island in SE Georgia and someone mentioned to me that they got whelks fresh off the beach. This is the first time I've heard mention of them on this side of the pond...
Dave A
never had them with peas,we would sit in the orient pic house and chew them rubbery thing.lol i live right by the beach. now i throw a pastic container in the rocks,and leave it for a few days and it is full of whelks.

Banjo.....I am sure that Burlington Hall had a back entry ..(yard access) on Park Lane , next to the printers,,

Gerry ....I remember Lloyds garage my best mate at the time lived almost facing it , with Lynette hairdressers next door to the garage, somewhere on here is a photo of both, if not try the Astonbrook through Aston Manor web site or their facebook page...

Blimey mate, that's brilliant. I think that the hairdresser was Alf's wife. I have some great memories of Alf, and of my Dad, who had all his cars over the years done by Alf. My Dad was manager of the Butchers Shop, Richards Of Aston (later to become Farr & Smiths) on the corner of Bracebridge Street, and High Street.THE STAFF OF RICHARDS OF ASTON BUTCHERS FARR & SMITH Ltd 1950s.jpg

Banjo.....I am sure that Burlington Hall had a back entry ..(yard access) on Park Lane , next to the printers,,

Gerry ....I remember Lloyds garage my best mate at the time lived almost facing it , with Lynette hairdressers next door to the garage, somewhere on here is a photo of both, if not try the Astonbrook through Aston Manor web site or their facebook page...

there is definately a photo of lynettes on the park lane thread

lyn

I may be wrong but, I don't think the rear of Burlington Hall was on Park Lane. It's true that Park Lane is behind Burlington Hall but, the hall itself is not in that photo. Perhaps there may have been a back entry somewhere but look at this photo to see what I'm saying.View attachment 135578
Of interest to those who like bus information, the bus at the traffic lights, (left side of photo) looks rather like it to be one of Harper Bros. of Heath Hayes AEC London RT types. They had some London RT type buses second hand from St. Helens Corporation in 1958. Harpers were green with cream relief and were to be seen in Kingstanding. They shared some services with Walsall Corporation. They got a limited stop service into the city centre (Birmingham) in 1965 and were absorbed into the Midland Red in 1974.

dont know why but i always thought that hawkins jellied eels shop was on the corner of park lane and the high st but looking again at the photo on post 385 it seems i am wrong...can anyone confirm just where the shop was please...our dad used to use it quite often...

lyn

Lyn
In 1962 Hawkins was at no 92, very close to the junction. But in 1938 no 92 was Beatrice Youster, wardrobe dealer (and Dr Massey was at 2 Park Lane, which goes with photo being around that date)

map c1950 showing 92 High st aston.jpg

right mike so i was not far out then...would love to find a photo of the famous hawkins shop as it is talked about a lot...thanks mike..oh any ideas what that hall was just down from hawkins ...was not burlington hall by any chance was it or was that actually in park lane...if it was burlington hall then as suggested earlier on this thread it does appear to have an entrance in park lane

lyn

Hi mike and Lyn, surely the entry at the reverse of Burlington Hall is on Potters Hill. Moss
Not to my knowledge Moss....Potters Hill was on the other side of Park Lane, you probably mean Potters Lane, Burlington Hall was much further up the High Street from where Potters Lane started from the Park lane end of it , I walked past it many many times as a kiddie when I lived in that area....

Hello aston lad I often forget the bottom end of Potters Hill was Potters Lane, but after you kindly pointed it out I had another look at the map and have changed my mind and agree with Lyn and Mike the entry is on Park Lane.

hi moss if you look at mikes maps that is definately park lane at the back of the hall...ive got my 1940s map in front of me ..oops just noticed that you have already realised it :)

lyn

I can definitely confirm that the rear entrance of Burlington Hall was in Park Lane, I spent many years as a committed member of BH. At the time it was run by Bob? and Nellie Slack and they lived at house in Park Lane with a very tiny pavement at the front. It wasn't an entrance to the club but their home.

Back