• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston, Lozells & Witton Photos Reposted thanks to Ray Griffiths...

bringing this wonderful thread to the top for new members who may not have seen it..please read from post 1 as it tells the story of how this forum was very lucky to have these little gems

lyn
Hi Lyn

Some wonderful photos. Brings back so many memories of when I was growing up in the late 50's and 60's. Many thanks again. Mike

Thank you Mike. Its a long time now since I worked as a temp at the GEC in Electric Avenue as a teenager, but it was a nice place to work with very friendly people. So much has changed hasn't it! I wouldn't recognise these places now if I went back. I used to get a bus from town to Witton, but can't remember now which bus or which stop I got off at. If I remember rightly I used to have about a ten minute walk to get to the GEC.
Judy

Thank you Mike. Its a long time now since I worked as a temp at the GEC in Electric Avenue as a teenager, but it was a nice place to work with very friendly people. So much has changed hasn't it! I wouldn't recognise these places now if I went back. I used to get a bus from town to Witton, but can't remember now which bus or which stop I got off at. If I remember rightly I used to have about a ten minute walk to get to the GEC.
Judy
Hi Judy, if you were bussing it from the City Centre I guess you would have caught either the old number 5 or 7 which terminated at the bottom end of Court Lane in Perry Common and you probably got off either by Witton roundabout or Tame Road/Brookvale Road junction and then walked up Tame Road etc to Electric Avenue. Alternatively the other buses would have been the 65/67 which went down Lichfield Road, probably getting off around Aston Station and walking through. You're right though, it has changed so much since the 60's. Nothing is left, I drive through Aston now on my way to and from work and I try to remember the landmarks and houses. I do remember how friendly we all were in those days. A sign I'm getting old, I guess. Mike

Hi Judy, if you were bussing it from the City Centre I guess you would have caught either the old number 5 or 7 which terminated at the bottom end of Court Lane in Perry Common and you probably got off either by Witton roundabout or Tame Road/Brookvale Road junction and then walked up Tame Road etc to Electric Avenue. Alternatively the other buses would have been the 65/67 which went down Lichfield Road, probably getting off around Aston Station and walking through. You're right though, it has changed so much since the 60's. Nothing is left, I drive through Aston now on my way to and from work and I try to remember the landmarks and houses. I do remember how friendly we all were in those days. A sign I'm getting old, I guess. Mike

Doe's this bring back memories of GEC
which dept did you work

GEC Electric Av Witton.jpg

Attachments

• GEC Works Electric Av..jpg
    GEC Works Electric Av..jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 47
Great photograph of Electric Avenue/G.E.C. Ray. I remember the end of my Apprenticeship in the New Turbo Shop when the large Pickfords tractor/trailors had to carry out a tight turn from the Turbo Shop into Electric Avenue. Those chaps had to work very hard and use every trick in the book to avoid getting stuck. Best wishes, Mike.

According to the Cinema Treasures site, Aston Picture House opened in 1913. So the suggested postcard date in #305 is about right.

A map dated 1913 below. The cinema is just below 'Lich' in the Lichfield road mark. Now wondering if the building next to the cinema was a Lichfield Road entrance to Dunlops , the pavement curves into the passageway between the buildings (see the large cross between the buildings). Viv.

View attachment 125333
What map is this from please?

I lived on Wills St circa 1964/65. Does anybody know what (Catholic) school I would have attended back then? If memory serves me I used to walk down Wills St towards Hunters Road. After that it's anyone's guess. Any help would be appreciated.

Afternoon all,

Doing some family history research I found that I originate from Aston on my fathers side going back to the 1800s and beyond. Today with time on my hands I thought I'd take a drive down from where I'm living in Moseley. I knew the area doesn't have a good reputation but looking at old pictures I thought I may at least find some echoes of the past.

I was horrified! The whole area is dirty, neglected and despite a lot of old buildings seems to have no connection to its (and my) roots. Has it always been this bad, or when did it turn?

Welcome to the Forum, Wayne.

No it certainly hasn't always been like that, but when the powers-that-be started demolishing buildings, I guess that was a reason for people to take less interest in the neighbourhood and many moved out and left it to rot as it were. My late mother (born in Bartons Bank in 1905) loved it as a child and right up to the start of WW2, when she moved into Sparkhill for ten years and then to Kings Heath.

My grandmother & youngest uncle lived there into the early 1960s and when I used to visit them in the 1940s & 1950s, I thought it was quite nice too.

If you let us know the name of your grandfather, the street, and the approximate date, somone here may even have known him

Maurice

I was born 1943 in Loveday street hospital, taken home to 10/32 Clifton Road Aston, raised and lived there until moved out in 1959 to live in Pelsall Staffs, since then I have travelled the world (I really do mean travelled the world) I still think back to the magic of Aston, I count myself a lucky person to have lived my younger days there, I couldn't have had a better start, rough wasn't the word for it but it never once did me any harm. So many memories come hurtling back when I look at this forum, it often creates a damp eye.

brilliant post nutter...i can only echo your sentiments...also from aston i would not have had it any other way...born in our nans back to back in 53 eldest of 6...you would be surprised how many people deny their humble beginnings and are ashamed but i also know people who have done very very well in life and are proud of where they come from

all the best

lyn

Thank you Lynn that's nice of you.
Dave.
Hi Dave I can only echo what you and Lyn have both said. I was born In Loveday Street Hospital in 1955 and lived at 1/161 Clifton Road until 1969. I have done OK in life since my Aston childhood which whilst hard, no running hot water, bathroom etc, I can honestly say I enjoyed my Aston childhood. I went to Grammar School and like you have been lucky enough to travel to may parts of the world, both on business and holiday. Just looking forward to retirement now in a couple of years time. Mike

What was it about those days, our yard had 16 houses, 6 shared outdoor toilets, we being the far end of the yard meant quite trip in the dark, mom would twist us a piece of paper, light it and it would last until we reached the bog door, after that it was manage in the dark lol the one central, gas lamp, never worked ( possibly because of the trainee grenade throwing that we kids practiced (how that came in handy years later lol) the16 houses had a total of 31 kids and 29 adults, as said before 'times were hard' but I can never recall a day without fun and laughter.

Us kids sitting on a fence with Teddy Ward (just enlisted and home on his first leave) him walking up and down with his steel helmet on, we kids hitting him on the head with sticks to test his readiness for combat.

Cold winters with no water or coal, going outside and ripping up the fence pailings for firewood.

Going to war in Aston Park with the enemy from Albert Road, we all, regailed in carboard box
armour, sheilds, wooden swords and spears (How I would love to see that gang lol)

Me and mum running up the yard to the road to help get my dads fingers from the car door it was so cold and him tipsy that he had slammed the door before getting his hand out of the way, the pain being nothing compared with me mums wrath for him being tipsy (again)

The family pride when my brother passed for Handsworth Grammer School, good for me, he now had a smart uniform so I could have his cast off's, didnt fit but did I care lol.

Family who's name I won't disclose who's dad was so work shy and idle he knocked a hole
under the kitchen/brewhouse sink so the cats and dogs could come and go (an early day catflap?)

It was an upbringing that one couln't buy, time spent in The Royal Marines afterwards was a walk in the park. Happy happy day

nutter
(Dave)

Last edited:
What was it about those days, our yard had 16 houses, 6 shared outdoor toilets, we being the far end of the yard meant quite trip in the dark, mom would twist us a piece of paper, light it and it would last until we reached the bog door, after that it was manage in the dark lol the one central, gas lamp, never worked ( possibly because of the trainee grenade throwing that we kids practiced (how that came in handy years later lol) the16 houses had a total of 31 kids and 29 adults, as said before 'times were hard' but I can never recall a day without fun and laughter.

Us kids sitting on a fence with Teddy Ward (just enlisted and home on his first leave) him walking up and down with his steel helmet on, we kids hitting him on the head with sticks to test his readiness for combat.

Cold winters with no water or coal, going outside and ripping up the fence pailings for firewood.

Going to war in Aston Park with the enemy from Albert Road, we all, regailed in carboard box
armour, sheilds, wooden swords and spears (How I would love to see that gang lol)

Me and mum running up the yard to the road to help get my dads fingers from the car door it was so cold and him tipsy that he had slammed the door before getting his hand out of the way, the pain being nothing compared with me mums wrath for him being tipsy (again)

The family pride when my brother passed for Handsworth Grammer School, good for me, he now had a smart uniform so I could have his cast off's, didnt fit but did I care lol.

Family who's name I won't disclose who's dad was so work shy and idle he knocked a hole
under the kitchen/brewhouse sink so the cats and dogs could come and go (an early day catflap?)

It was an upbringing that one couln't buy, time spent in The Royal Marines afterwards was a walk in the park. Happy happy day

nutter
(Dave)
Hi Dave
We had 8 houses and 4 shared toilets in our yard. We were lucky though, we lived at the first house so it was only a short trip down the path and round the corner to our toilet. If we ran out of loo paper it was the old newspapers ripped into squares. We got used very quickly to going in the dark. I'm sure in those days my eyes had night vision sight. Times were hard but we always laughed and as I said I was happier there than when we moved to Kingstanding in late 69 as they started the slum clearances, as it was called in those days, in earnest. I can remember playing football and cricket in the street and also going to play war games in Aston Park. I was the only boy with 2 sisters so I had no cast offs. In our yard the family at the top kept a motorbike and sidecar in their garden so it was always funny watching Ken wheel the motor bike and then his sidecar down the centre of the yard and then the entry before connecting them up on the roadside. My parents were so proud when I passed for George Dixon Grammar School and it was the event of the summer when we had to go into town to buy my uniform each year at the Co-Op at the bottom end of New Street. Unfortunately, apart from peers at Grammar School, I can't remember the names of my Aston friends but I would like to know where we all are now. They were such happy days. Like you my apprenticeship in the RAF at the end of 71 and the next 10 years were a walk in the park compared to my childhood. After I left Birmingham in 71, apart from visiting family, I didn't return until 2012 after I came back from living in France for a couple of years but that is a different story.
Mike

It is all about contentment, I believe. Yes, we all have ups and downs in our lives, some folk have bigger downs than others.
I have always lived in fairly modern houses, except when first married - were were in an old cottage then for a couple of years. We have been at our present address since 1965 but we have never wished to move to new or more valuable properties. I never wanted to be in those sort of places where 'everyone was keeping up with the Jones's'. Has that changed now? You never hear that expression used. :)

I was also born in Aston in 1930, Queens Road, next door to Atkinsons Brewery, moved to Sheldon in 1935 then Shirley in 1939, then back to Queens Rd with our Nan when Mom died in 1943, I Ioved Aston then but not now. Eric

I was also born in Aston in 1930, Queens Road, next door to Atkinsons Brewery, moved to Sheldon in 1935 then Shirley in 1939, then back to Queens Rd with our Nan when Mom died in 1943, I Ioved Aston then but not now. Eric
Without wanting to sound disparaging, I drive through Aston to and from work everyday and being a claret and blue season ticket holder, I go to every home match and I just can't believe the area now. As I said we didn't have it easy, we were always happy and enjoyed life and every family knew each other, doors were left open and you knew that your belongings would be safe. Not now. I'm glad my car doors lock automatically. What a sad reflection of today's inner city life and society!!

lovely comments from above posts which i endorse....it just goes to show its not all about money its about inner peace... contentment and feeling safe and knowing our parents did their best for us and of course only realising as we get older just how difficult it was for them..over the years i have spoken to many people who for various reason can not say their childhood was a happy one so for this reason i count myself even luckier than i used to...:)

lyn

Re: Aston and lozells pic reposted...

Great pics again, Lyn. Many thanks! I used to go swimming at Victoria Road Baths at least 5 times a week. There was a coach who had been on a British Olympic team, but I'm blowed if I can remember his name - might it have been Graham Williams? Definitely Graham, as that's my name. I've also got a vague memory that 'Victoria Road Hall' was known as Dyson Hall. If correct, that's where my parents met when they were both in a musical society.

Big Gee
The swimmer was Ken Williams and Dyson Hall was in park st the road opposite victoria road with the Vine pub on the corner of lichfield rd and park st

Re: Aston..lozells and witton pics reposted

Was the Aston Tavern/O'Reillys the old Golden Cross pub?

Judy
the pub at Aston Cross was the Golden cross the jazz nights in the 50s and 60s were excellent, I lived at 1bk 149 park rd from 1941 until 1959 and my wife came from 6bk 146 church lane,I went to Upper Thomas st school from 1948 until I left March 1956 my last teacher was Mr Reeves who took over the headmasters duties from Mr York sept 1956.

There is a photo of a villa park special bus going up Park road ,this incorrect it is Vicarage road just below Aston Manor Girls school.this was the one my two sisters and my wife attended in the fifties

Re: Aston and lozells pic reposted...

hi morturn to be honest ive looked at these pics many many times and everytime i am lost for words...the images we have here of days gone by are just so amazing and the good thing about them is that most of us on the forum can relate to them especially if we lived in the areas...

lyn
thanks lyn

Back