• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston, Lozells & Witton Photos Reposted thanks to Ray Griffiths...

Post 293 is less easily dated. The council refuse truck has a pre-war (1939?) registration and the other road vehicles do not look much after 1951. The tram, built 1925 lasted until around system closure

Yes Lyn, 3x Witton, 2 Erdington 78 Short Heath and 79 Pype Hayes, been on them all many times, as you say that No. 2 on pic could have been going to Witton depot. Have enlarged that pic as
it certainly looks like my Wife and Edna, will show her at the airport and see what she thinks

Absolutely loved this thread my thanks to everyone who posted or re-posted the photos and the anecdotes about persons and locations.
I especially liked the old brummie phrase used in post #253 by Lyn, "Any road up". Living up here in the North East we don't hear that said very often! Thanks again to all contributors.

Aston Cross Picture House plus a list of films dated around 1916....not sure if the photo of the picture house is 1916.....11709748_708101545966971_3632732742067464945_o.jpg 11709971_708101569300302_8193295490359547419_o.jpg

Of curiosity the picture side states a Harry Trevanion as Manager, whereas the printed card refers to a Mr. H.S. Perfect as Manager.
The only 'star' names I ever heard of is Gladys Cooper and of course Charlie Chaplin. The three figure exchange telephone number takes me back a while. :D

also nice to see a house on the left of the picture house john...cant say as i have seen that one before

cheers

lyn

Lyn.....Its the only one I have ever seen so clearly ....I do have another but you would need a telescope to view it.....I went there in the 1950's on a Saturday morning with my late sister Pauline...then it closed down in the very early 1960's....I am not sure if it became a Bingo Hall first then an Asian Cinema , it was facing Ansells on the Lichfield Road, I cannot remember the houses next to it, but I can a furniture shop just a bit further along....

ahh john sat mornings the pictures how well i remember those but my haunt was the villa cross picture house..happy days:)...john do you know if that was a pub to the right of the aston cross cinema..sort of looks like one?

lyn

saw that viv but thought it was maybe just an advert..just seems more of a pub like building than a garage to me..unless someone beats me to it i will check kellys tomorrow to see if we can find out what was next to the cinema

Last edited:
I regularly went to the Aston Cross if nothing to my liking at the nearby Astoria, cannot remember what was next door but close to Library and Birmingham Municipal Bank. Eric

You could be on to something there Bill Boyd.
AstonLad mentions 1916 for a date in his post and cars were just becoming more widespread around that time also motor vehicles were being produced for the battlefields on WW1. J.B. Dunlop started in 1899 - classed as a pioneer.

The postcard actually says at the top 'next to Dunlops' after Aston Cross Picture House. Viv,

Lyn..it could be just an advert ...Dunlop did have a factory there for a while, but I am not 100% sure if it wasn't part of the factory....where the picture house use to be is car sales site now...but the building in the picture with dunlop written on it looks to me like the bank....but next to the bank is York House built around 1904...which isn't the building in the photo, I will need to check out an old map to see what was where....there was also a football pitch close by at one time as well....confusing....

Dunlop's were advertising using their Para Mills, Aston Cross address in 1901. Can find no mention of Dunlop's at Aston Cross before this time. Viv,

image.jpeg

Lyn..it could be just an advert ...Dunlop did have a factory there for a while, but I am not 100% sure if it wasn't part of the factory....where the picture house use to be is car sales site now...but the building in the picture with dunlop written on it looks to me like the bank....but next to the bank is York House built around 1904...which isn't the building in the photo, I will need to check out an old map to see what was where....there was also a football pitch close by at one time as well....confusing....

those were my feelings exactly john...should be a map somewhere on the forum showing that football pitch you mentioned and a simple kellys look up should tell us what that building is next to the picture house

lyn

From the Britain from above web site...1939 photo of Aston Cross...showing Ansells with the picture house facing it....looks like the old dunlop factory next to it....aston cross pic house.jpg

According to the Cinema Treasures site, Aston Picture House opened in 1913. So the suggested postcard date in #305 is about right.

A map dated 1913 below. The cinema is just below 'Lich' in the Lichfield road mark. Now wondering if the building next to the cinema was a Lichfield Road entrance to Dunlops , the pavement curves into the passageway between the buildings (see the large cross between the buildings). Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
bringing this wonderful thread to the top for new members who may not have seen it..please read from post 1 as it tells the story of how this forum was very lucky to have these little gems

lyn

Aston, Lozells And Witton Pic Reposted...
Photobucket replaced all their linked pics in the above thread with their advert pics and the original pics became invisible but the image urls still pointed to the original pics making them recoverable. The posts below are copies of the original posts, with original comments (not mine), and 130 recovered pics. The pics are in Coppermine so the posts in this thread (complete with pics) could be copied and pasted into corresponding posts in the original thread. Until then a link to this thread could be placed at the start of the original thread. The story behind this collection of pics is written in post#1 of the original thread. 22 posts follow …
All the Pics have now been restored to the original thread.
Help!!! I am looking for old photo's of Aston c 1880-1900. Many thanks

According to the Cinema Treasures site, Aston Picture House opened in 1913. So the suggested postcard date in #305 is about right.

A map dated 1913 below. The cinema is just below 'Lich' in the Lichfield road mark. Now wondering if the building next to the cinema was a Lichfield Road entrance to Dunlops , the pavement curves into the passageway between the buildings (see the large cross between the buildings). Viv.

View attachment 125333
Hi Viv
Interesting Map I didn't realise the Astoria Picture House was original called Theatre Royal it was a lovely old cinema always spick and span we used to go of afternoon always seem come out into blazing sunlight couldn't see a think for a minute two

Re: Aston and lozells pic reposted...

oh lol big gee your dad didnt sound best pleased....i really do love posting images that will bring back the memories as lets face it its mostly all we have now but like i always say they cant be taken away from us can they..

judy im sure someone on here will be able to say for certain but i think GEC was in electric avenue or if not it was close by...

ive got about another 60 to post but will do them tomorrow as im now getting posters cramp lol..

lyn
Judy

I'm just ploughing through all the pages but GEC was indeed in Electric Avenue at the other end to where the petol station was and the railway bridges, It is now a small Industrial Estate with about a dozen or so business Units on there. Mike

Back