• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston, Lozells & Witton Photos Reposted thanks to Ray Griffiths...

Re: Aston and lozells pic reposted...

aa7.jpeg
New Town Row looking towards Cecil Street. 1914

This photo taken on Sunday, 25 March 1906 shows Aston Bridge just as it had been erected. It weighed 300 tons and was placed into position within 15 minutes so as to prevent traffic delays. These are local people checking out the new bridge. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335361669.086333.jpg

just bringing this thread to the top for those who may have missed it...we will never see the likes of these again....forgot to mention that there are a few witton ones as well..

lyn

Last edited:

Thanks Lynn, I missed it. Can't thank you enough for posting them and thanks also to Ray and his friend.

Graham I remember Buckinghams, and Olivers, the XRay, Emms. Birds, Wrensons, Greasley Nortons, George Dowlers, The Outdoor where Dad took a jug for his beer. A few of the shops in our bit of Witton.

glad you caught up with this thread di...i think they are wonderful photos....

hope you are well di...

lyn x

My family worked at the BSA Armoury Rd, from 1860 to 1978 I worked at Tubes Ltd Rocky Lane 1955 to 1960 thank you for the memories as I left Birmingham in 1962. Victor

just bringing this thread to the top for members who may have misssed seeing these wonderful pics..

lyn

glad you like them gary...they are a real treasure and we are so lucky to have them..as you may have read on post one these images could so very easily have ended up in the skip...

lyn

glad you like them gary...they are a real treasure and we are so lucky to have them..as you may have read on post one these images could so very easily have ended up in the skip...

lyn
Lyn, Thank you for saving them and for showing them to us..
Gary Troman.

GEC (General Electric Company) was in Electric Avenue.

Myself and my brother Terry were St John Ambulance Brigade cadets there. Did anybody go to the OADS???

hi all this is my first post here i was born in handsworth heathfield rd
great pictures (i have some from after the riots in the 80s i shall scan them)
my old house i was brought up in is here in this pic opposite cilla cros pub

does anyone remember ye olde sweet shop or the green painted green grocers at top of heathfield rd by villa cross garage
owned by an old lady viv or val or violet something like that
https://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g393/astoness/VillaCross2.jpg

Post 37 last picture "hunters road with the convent on the right".you can see the house I lived my first 15 years in on the right at top of hill.
The first car on right is virtually outside it.
Thanks for posting,it brings back a lot of good memories.

hi APS glad you liked the photos..what number did you live at in hunters road..

lyn

Lived at 110 Hunters road right opposite the RC church.

Lived at 110 Hunters road right opposite the RC church.

i know of the regan family who i think lived at 122 and in the early 70s i worked in jewellery quarter with a lady who also lived in hunters road on the same side..just trying to recall her name now but she lived in one of the line of houses that went back quite a bit and had fair size front gardens..

lyn

I know the houses you mean,About 6 of them in a row lying right back.
I don't recall the Regan family but that might just be my memory :)

I know the houses you mean,About 6 of them in a row lying right back.
I don't recall the Regan family but that might just be my memory :)

yes those are the houses..it will bug me now to recall the womans name who i worked with...dont worry about the memory loss mine is getting worse by the day lol..forgot to say that i lived in villa st from 58 to 72

I remember the shop on the corner of Naden road run by Mr Stone.He always had a brown cigarette end stuck to his lip.

APS i think the woman i worked with who lived in hunters road was calle pat something...cant recall that shop on naden road as we used the ones along nursery road mainly..

lyn

APS i think the woman i worked with who lived in hunters road was calle pat something...cant recall that shop on naden road as we used the ones along nursery road mainly..

lyn

Can't recall a woman named Pat but it might have been after we moved,1965 day of Churchills funeral.

quite possable APS as i am talking about 1971 and i dont really know when she first lived in hunters road...those houses are still there though...

lyn

quite possable APS as i am talking about 1971 and i dont really know when she first lived in hunters road...those houses are still there though...

lyn

Our old house is still there also,front garden has changed but house looks exactly the same.

Our old house is still there also,front garden has changed but house looks exactly the same.

not sure if you old house is one of them but there are quite a few georgian houses in hunters road...will have a look next time i am down that way which is quite often...

lyn

Just seen the post which showed the VIP garage in electric avenue. My old friend Paul Storr had a car sales pitch on the garage forecourt in the late sixties after moving from gravelly hill, always remember the shop near by that sold hot meat sandwiches, brings back happy memmories.

Can anyone tell me where Rifle Crescent would have been/is please?

According to my old Wakelins Street Guide,Rifle Crescent was off 21 Victoria Road Aston

Many thanks. Would anyone know when it disappeared or anything about it at all please?

Back