• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston, Lozells & Witton Photos Reposted thanks to Ray Griffiths...

Re: Aston and lozells pic reposted...

img394.jpg
Who remembers the betting shop in Aston Road? It was owned by Tom Hartley. 1960

Just been re-reading this post, Brenda on your post #85 the crock shop was Heaths, I had a number of items from there including two china prancing horses I think they were 12/6d each - going back a bit to the 1950s. Our wedding was conducted by Canon Warman in 1957.

Sylvia, thanks for the name of the "croc shop" of course it was Heaths....mom and l both paid into the club so we were able to afford our china wear....the morning my second son Kurt was born the post office delivered a box and what a nice surprise mom and sent me a china tea service from Heaths....l still have a few pieces left it was white with yellow roses on it and will always cherish it.....Sylvia hope Canon Warman had the right shoes on when you got married ....l still smile about that incident on our wedding day......Brenda

Brenda could you remind me of the name of the book you are after ( off topic i know )

Big Fella, thank you for asking about the book l'm after its "Climbing the Ladder" (the struggles and successes of a village lad),autobiography of DAVID BARR 1831-1910, printed by Robert Culley, keeping my fingers crossed...Brenda...l know this is of topic l hope we'll be forgiven just this once....Brenda

Yes off topic indeed , but in this case when people know i am sure they will forgive. i will continue my search ( now i know i have the correct title )

Big Fella, heres a TEXAS size THANKYOU, just taking your time out to look for the book, is good enough for me....Brenda

aa5.jpeg
All I have with this one is "A street scene in Aston"1898.

aa7.jpeg
New Town Row looking towards Cecil Street. 1914

This photo taken on Sunday, 25 March 1906 shows Aston Bridge just as it had been erected. It weighed 300 tons and was placed into position within 15 minutes so as to prevent traffic delays. These are local people checking out the new bridge. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335361669.086333.jpg

just bringing this thread to the top for those who may have missed it...we will never see the likes of these again....forgot to mention that there are a few witton ones as well..

lyn

Last edited:

Thanks Lynn, I missed it. Can't thank you enough for posting them and thanks also to Ray and his friend.

Graham I remember Buckinghams, and Olivers, the XRay, Emms. Birds, Wrensons, Greasley Nortons, George Dowlers, The Outdoor where Dad took a jug for his beer. A few of the shops in our bit of Witton.

glad you caught up with this thread di...i think they are wonderful photos....

hope you are well di...

lyn x

My family worked at the BSA Armoury Rd, from 1860 to 1978 I worked at Tubes Ltd Rocky Lane 1955 to 1960 thank you for the memories as I left Birmingham in 1962. Victor

just bringing this thread to the top for members who may have misssed seeing these wonderful pics..

lyn

Back