• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston, Lozells & Witton Photos Reposted thanks to Ray Griffiths...

Re: Aston and lozells pic reposted...

The Old Cross, Aston Cross

Attachments

• The Old Cross, Aston Cross.JPG
    The Old Cross, Aston Cross.JPG
    380.4 KB · Views: 184
Another great photo Big Fella. Wonder what it was used for? Looks too small for business use. I can't imagine it was just a decorative feature. Viv

Hi Viv, according to what i have read it was used by the cab drivers, but was closed after their misuse !!!! Naughty cab drivers LOL

Tut, tut ! I've just looked it up and the original wooden preaching cross, which this one replaced, is at Aston Hall - now only a stump. And apparently, the clock was unreliable on this one, so those cab drivers probably weren't very punctual ! The cross eventually became unsafe and was replaced by the existing one. Viv.

Image438.jpg

thats a great shot topsy..is there any way that you could repost it but a bit larger as the zoom in isnt very good..dont worry if not....

lyn

dfe.jpeg
This is a picture of Aston Vicarage in 1967 just before it's demolition to make way for the Aston Expresssway.

I'm sorry I don't but I am sure Mike or one of the others will know/.

Aston Vicarage was on Church lane Aston, on the corner of Aston Hall Rd almost opposite the now defunct Aston Tavern pub, living round the corner in Queens Rd I have visited both places many times, I think the Vicar of that time was a rather unpleasant character by the name of Warman (I have a particular reason for disliking him), this would be in the 1950's Eric

Thank you Eric, I was sure someone would know the answer.

Eric, if l remember right Rev Warman married my husband and myself in 1956...can'nt say as l knew the man but l do remember as we kneeled at the alter for the blessing he had a brown and black shoes on ..thats one of each well l started laughing and my mother seeing my shoulders shaking thought l was crying.....funny how my mind goes back with you just mentioning the rev warmans name....l might not remember to much about that day but l definatly remember those shoes.....Brenda

img394.jpg
Who remembers the betting shop in Aston Road? It was owned by Tom Hartley. 1960

Just been re-reading this post, Brenda on your post #85 the crock shop was Heaths, I had a number of items from there including two china prancing horses I think they were 12/6d each - going back a bit to the 1950s. Our wedding was conducted by Canon Warman in 1957.

Sylvia, thanks for the name of the "croc shop" of course it was Heaths....mom and l both paid into the club so we were able to afford our china wear....the morning my second son Kurt was born the post office delivered a box and what a nice surprise mom and sent me a china tea service from Heaths....l still have a few pieces left it was white with yellow roses on it and will always cherish it.....Sylvia hope Canon Warman had the right shoes on when you got married ....l still smile about that incident on our wedding day......Brenda

Brenda could you remind me of the name of the book you are after ( off topic i know )

Big Fella, thank you for asking about the book l'm after its "Climbing the Ladder" (the struggles and successes of a village lad),autobiography of DAVID BARR 1831-1910, printed by Robert Culley, keeping my fingers crossed...Brenda...l know this is of topic l hope we'll be forgiven just this once....Brenda

Yes off topic indeed , but in this case when people know i am sure they will forgive. i will continue my search ( now i know i have the correct title )

Big Fella, heres a TEXAS size THANKYOU, just taking your time out to look for the book, is good enough for me....Brenda

aa5.jpeg
All I have with this one is "A street scene in Aston"1898.

Back