• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston, Lozells & Witton Photos Reposted thanks to Ray Griffiths...

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all...think its about time to repost these amazing pics of aston.lozells and witton all taken in the middle 60s to the very early 70s...you will not see these pics anywhere else so i hope you find them of interest..before i start the task there is a little story behind them...one of our members ray griffiths orginally posted them a couple of years back and it took him an enormous amount of time transferring them from glass plate onto the forum then of course we lost them due to the hacking...they were taken by a friend of rays who sadly lost his sight but instead of binning them he gave them to ray in the hopes that someone may find them of interest and thank god he did..i for one am eternally grateful to him for capturing so much of brum history from these areas...we will never see the likes again...like i said they were taken on glass plate so the colouring of some may not be perfect but it matters not...the main thing is we have them...i managed to save most of them as ray was posting them first time round and there are about 100 i think so it will take me time to resize and post...just going to make a cuppa and then make a start...enjoy..

lyn

Last edited:
Re: Aston and lozells pic reposted...

burlington hall..

image.jpeg

burlington hall...

image.jpeg

burlington st school

image.jpeg

gerrard street

image.jpeg

gordon st/burbury st

image.jpeg

lennox street

image.jpeg

wellesley st/burbury st..joseph lucas in the distance

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

gerrard st

image.jpeg

albert road

image.jpeg

albert road library corner of witton road

image.jpeg

aston cross

image.jpeg

aston cross

image.jpeg

aston cross

image.jpeg

aston hall road/witton lane

image.jpeg

aston hall road/witton lane

image.jpeg

ason hall road/waterworks st

image.jpeg

aston hall road

image.jpeg

aston road north

image.jpeg

aston road north

image.jpeg

aston station with lovers walk

image.jpeg

aston hippodrome

image.jpeg

avenue road

image.jpeg

barker st..villa cross pic house in the distance..

image.jpeg

could one of the mods please change the thread title please to aston..lozells and witton pics reposted...

many thanks..

lyn

this is a cracker and just how i remember it..the bartons arms

image.jpeg

barton street

image.jpeg

berners street

image.jpeg

berners street

image.jpeg

berners street

image.jpeg

brougham st looking towards nursery road

image.jpeg

brougham st looking towards wills street

image.jpeg

these next 6 pics of furnace lane are in my opinion absolute treasures..i really cant think that anyone else would have taken pics of the lane looking like this...we are so very lucky to have them...oh just an aside..apparently our mom and dad did a lot of their courting here lol

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Wonderful photos, Lyn, and not a few memories for me, especially Aston Cross and the Bartons Arms. Another memory is connected with the petrol-station in Electric Avenue. My dad stopped there for petrol one afternoon and his car refused to start after he filled it. Fortunately someone at the garage helped him out, as folks did in those days. I think it was a stuck carburettor float, something trivial like that, but enough to set the old man swearing and grinding his teeth....strange how I'd forgotten about that incident until I saw the photo just now. But this is what a thread like this is for, isn't it? - Memories.

Big Gee

Re: Aston..lozells and witton pics reposted

Lyn - I wonder if the photos of Electric Avenue, are of the same Electric Avenue where the GEC used to be. I worked there as a temp for a while back in (probably) the early 1960's. The tunnel looks familiar but I can only remember walking along a street with terraced houses to get to it. I can't remember where I got the bus from in town but it may have been Steelhouse Lane. I can't remember where I got off in Witton, but I had a fair walk to get to the GEC and remember going under a tunnel on the way.

Judy

Last edited:

oh lol big gee your dad didnt sound best pleased....i really do love posting images that will bring back the memories as lets face it its mostly all we have now but like i always say they cant be taken away from us can they..

judy im sure someone on here will be able to say for certain but i think GEC was in electric avenue or if not it was close by...

ive got about another 60 to post but will do them tomorrow as im now getting posters cramp lol..

lyn

Thanks for re-posting these great photos Lyn - I like looking at the detail in them. I notice in the first Aston Cross pic in #3, the Aston Cross Tavern has one of those corbelled pointed towers similar to one I noticed on an old building pictured in the Birchfield Rd Perry Barr thread. The Perry Barr tower disappeared before the 30's but it seems the tower on Aston Cross Tavern (O'Reilly's) is still there but minus the pointed roof. I had a look around on streetview - wow what changes !
I notice the clock has moved but I suppose it had to.
oldmohawk

Then - an interesting pointed tower.
AstoncrossT.jpg

Later - the pointed roof has gone.
aston_cross_tavern.JPG

Last edited:

Lyn, stunning, lost for words, thank you.

hi morturn to be honest ive looked at these pics many many times and everytime i am lost for words...the images we have here of days gone by are just so amazing and the good thing about them is that most of us on the forum can relate to them especially if we lived in the areas...

lyn

Lyn. Im nearly lost for words. The pics are absolutely AMAZING. Such memories of Aston Cross, Chester St looking towards Tubes Ltd office entrance, and Electric Avenue, I can see Hallidays building where my Dad worked all his life. Fabulous Lyn. You know I cant thank you enough.

to whom it may concern, many thanks for the wonderful pictures of berners street and the others of lozells and aston. i used to live just below flights on the other side between lozells road and johnson street. this was between 1951 t0 1956. then moved to perry barr. used to go and visit granma in berners street untill she passed away. once again many thanks, sidwho

hi, just had another look at the picture of electric ave and aston hall road, with the guarage in it. if you look past the guarage up from the brige over the tame, you will ss on of the peires being constructed for the aston express way. this i think would be 70/71. kind reguards sidwho

Re: Aston..lozells and witton pics reposted

Was the Aston Tavern/O'Reillys the old Golden Cross pub?
Judy
Hi Judy - I put the wrong name for the pub, it should be the 'Aston Cross Tavern'. I've had a look through the 'Another Old Pub' thread but cannot see any mention of this pub.
oldmohawk

Back