• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston, Lozells & Witton Photos Reposted thanks to Ray Griffiths...

can some please! mark were burlington hall was on the/or a map. i can not remember it, and it is bugging me now grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. did park lane continue past potters hill?

Attachments

• park lane.jpg
    park lane.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
can some please! mark were burlington hall was on the/or a map. i can not remember it, and it is bugging me now grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. did park lane continue past potters hill?
If you go to www.leroux.co.uk/parklane

NOTE: TEMPORARILY DISABLED A NEW VERSION IS BEING CREATED

it has the whole of Park Lane on there with both views of Burlington Hall. John

Last edited:
nice pic of plume st jk. and the river rea access door were we would get in and walk the river. thanks
1547738441515.png

Last edited:
I have marked the area on the map, however, unable to upload as it says it's too large a file to process?? It's the same file...help?
Dave A

Hi! Here is a photograph of my Mom & Dad with all the staff of the Pork Butchers "RICHARDS OF ASTON". The shop stood on the corner of High Street and Bracebridge Street. It became "Farr & Smith" later. The owner was Teddy Farr. My Mom is in the white coat at the front, and Dad (Harry Taylor) is to her right. The owner, Teddy Farr, is seated, in the black coat. This was one of the busiest shops on the High Street, as you can see by the staff employed there. Anyone remember it? Or did anyone work for my Dad Harry, who was the manager? this was taken in the late forties early fifties. THE STAFF OF RICHARDS OF ASTON BUTCHERS FARR & SMITH Ltd 1950s.jpg

I remember it well...the pigs being unloaded. The herding process to the yard next door to the shop on the Bracebridge St. side was attended by many of us kids. I personally did not know anyone that worked there, However, living in Canada, I worked with a Dennis Richards, who claimed he was the nephew of the owners.
Dave A

I remember it well...the pigs being unloaded. The herding process to the yard next door to the shop on the Bracebridge St. side was attended by many of us kids. I personally did not know anyone that worked there, However, living in Canada, I worked with a Dennis Richards, who claimed he was the nephew of the owners.
Dave A

Hi Dave,
Mr Farr the owner, emigrated to Canada, and I did have a message from his daughter on another website, which didn't allow us to swap addresses, so lost the contact I really needed to find things out from. Pleased you recall the old shop and premises.

Hi! Here is a photograph of my Mom & Dad with all the staff of the Pork Butchers "RICHARDS OF ASTON". The shop stood on the corner of High Street and Bracebridge Street. It became "Farr & Smith" later. The owner was Teddy Farr. My Mom is in the white coat at the front, and Dad (Harry Taylor) is to her right. The owner, Teddy Farr, is seated, in the black coat. This was one of the busiest shops on the High Street, as you can see by the staff employed there. Anyone remember it? Or did anyone work for my Dad Harry, who was the manager? this was taken in the late forties early fifties. View attachment 131048
yes i do remember it

Pig Squeal and Snort Sound Effect - YouTube

more on there

http://www.astonbrook-through-astonmanor.co.uk/highst.html

Last edited:
amazing phot gerry...cant believe how many staff they employed...my aunt who lived in bracebridge st at that time must have used the shop and a very good chance my nan and mom did...

lyn

amazing phot gerry...cant believe how many staff they employed...my aunt who lived in bracebridge st at that time must have used the shop and a very good chance my nan and mom did...

lyn

A whole different world back then. No Supermarket pre-packed meats. The shop was open at 7am, and closed at 9.30pm Later at Christmastime. As a child I recall the wonderful Christmas Windows that they put on, rows and rows of turkey's, and the aroma of the Pork pies (with jelly) being baked.

View attachment 131082
yer i loved that place,most people had pop corn.i took a pound of whelks.to the orient.:grinning::grinning:
Never thought of taking them to the Orient. We used to have them with peas, which was more like pea soup made from mushy peas. The whelks tasted great soaked in mushy peas. Co-incidentally, I spend the winters in St Simons Island in SE Georgia and someone mentioned to me that they got whelks fresh off the beach. This is the first time I've heard mention of them on this side of the pond...
Dave A

Never thought of taking them to the Orient. We used to have them with peas, which was more like pea soup made from mushy peas. The whelks tasted great soaked in mushy peas. Co-incidentally, I spend the winters in St Simons Island in SE Georgia and someone mentioned to me that they got whelks fresh off the beach. This is the first time I've heard mention of them on this side of the pond...
Dave A
never had them with peas,we would sit in the orient pic house and chew them rubbery thing.lol i live right by the beach. now i throw a pastic container in the rocks,and leave it for a few days and it is full of whelks.

Banjo.....I am sure that Burlington Hall had a back entry ..(yard access) on Park Lane , next to the printers,,

Gerry ....I remember Lloyds garage my best mate at the time lived almost facing it , with Lynette hairdressers next door to the garage, somewhere on here is a photo of both, if not try the Astonbrook through Aston Manor web site or their facebook page...

Blimey mate, that's brilliant. I think that the hairdresser was Alf's wife. I have some great memories of Alf, and of my Dad, who had all his cars over the years done by Alf. My Dad was manager of the Butchers Shop, Richards Of Aston (later to become Farr & Smiths) on the corner of Bracebridge Street, and High Street.THE STAFF OF RICHARDS OF ASTON BUTCHERS FARR & SMITH Ltd 1950s.jpg

Banjo.....I am sure that Burlington Hall had a back entry ..(yard access) on Park Lane , next to the printers,,

Gerry ....I remember Lloyds garage my best mate at the time lived almost facing it , with Lynette hairdressers next door to the garage, somewhere on here is a photo of both, if not try the Astonbrook through Aston Manor web site or their facebook page...

there is definately a photo of lynettes on the park lane thread

lyn

I may be wrong but, I don't think the rear of Burlington Hall was on Park Lane. It's true that Park Lane is behind Burlington Hall but, the hall itself is not in that photo. Perhaps there may have been a back entry somewhere but look at this photo to see what I'm saying.View attachment 135578
Of interest to those who like bus information, the bus at the traffic lights, (left side of photo) looks rather like it to be one of Harper Bros. of Heath Hayes AEC London RT types. They had some London RT type buses second hand from St. Helens Corporation in 1958. Harpers were green with cream relief and were to be seen in Kingstanding. They shared some services with Walsall Corporation. They got a limited stop service into the city centre (Birmingham) in 1965 and were absorbed into the Midland Red in 1974.

Back